1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Why he's 36 years old and relievers are highly volatile from year to year.

2. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Neris signs for 1 year/$9 mil. What happened to that multiyear contract he was going after that was out of our price range?

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s overly pessimistic not contrarian imo
    You are right that the bench will be just fine with rest for the regulars or a week type nagging injury but not ok for months at a time. That would have to be filled by someone from the minors if that happens.

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If Wags makes it to the HOF as an Astro next year, do we retire his jersey?

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean yeah.

eliefor3 likes this.
  6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I think Nook said something like the key for Javier was if he hit the gym and got into better shape......

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think the clock hurt him too. Here is hoping that he can finally adjust to the new rule changes. I have no idea what is wrong with valdez though

raining threes and punkoholic like this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Cristian Javier biggest Issue of Lower Mileage on his Fastball was due to his overweight and running out of stamina in the First 3 Innings.

Eating and watching his Diet and Exercise Routine is huge for Javier. Hopefully Framber Valdez, Luis Garcia, Lance McCullers workout Videos come out.

everyday eddie and punkoholic like this.
  9. Amadeus Rooster

He is gonna nail it in 2024. Cy young for sure. Was the huge favorite for 2023 Cy Young and mysteriously faded too fast from the pack.

This Spring his dancing in the sand workouts and hopping over hurdles in a single hop is truly amazing and sets him apart bigtime. He has repalced his middle tummy pudge with situps and an incredible muscular frame.

Look for big things from Javier. Lots of no- hitters and his wicked sinker drops off the table even further.

Hoping the above is thr real truth!

35 game winner for 2024, C Javier. Lessssgoo!!!

punkoholic likes this.
  10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I keep hearing rumors of Bellinger to Houston from the Yankee faithful…anyone else heard this?

Amadeus Rooster likes this.
  11. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Bellinger isn't coming here lol

The Beard likes this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

same

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Probably not but you don’t know

14. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I was wondering WTF he was talking about. He has missed time in 1 season his entire career.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Finding the ideal trade piece.

Dana Brown has said the roster is set going into ST with the exception of a "lefty hitting OF w/ speed". This makes sense for a number of reasons but I'm not going to write my usual novel about that. Let's just say the Astros have 8 starting positions in stone, and either LF or CF is where the opening is, and they are RH heavy and were much weaker vs RHP than LHP last year.

Meyers is a very good option vs LHP, but last year he had 91 wRC+ vs RHP and for his career its 79.

So w/ Meyers' defense, the fact that he is improving, and trade cost= it only makes sense to target players who are at least 110 wRC+ and actually available/affordable (I'm not putting Ronald Acuna Jr. here)

FA are a different post and thought.

This is already getting too long so I'll continue in another post later today when I have more time.

More to come

* I originally posted this with a list but deleted it when I found an issue w/ my report filter and found more players than I originally posted.

#3875 IdStrosfan, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  16. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

If Belli comes to Houston I feel he may be a plant by the Yankees and Dodgers

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only way Bellinger comes here is if he gets no longterm contract offers that he likes and Boras tells him a rental contract with the Astros and potential world series could help him get one next year. I can see Crane paying this year since he is already over. One thing I know Crane will never do is pay the repeater tax.

Rvo384 likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The second Bellinger secures a bag he's gonna check out.

I would never trust a player who suddenly remembers how to play in a contract year.

19. Nook

Nook Member

In 20 years no one is going to remember the Montero contract.

Do you sit around and think about the fact the Astros paid Michael Brantley almost 30 million dollars the last two seasons for like 200-300 total at bats?

The Astros could move off of Montero fairly easily if they were that concerned about it.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

143 primary OF last year had at least 150 PA vs RHP and are not FA.

I elimated those w/ wRC+ under 110, stole fewer than 10 bases, and hit exclusively RH (personally don't agree w/ this but thats what Dana said). Then I got rid of players who simply aren't going to happen so aren't worth talking about - and added Luis Robert Jr back in for fun, lol.

That left 13 players.
    Will Benson
    Willi Castro
    Jarren Duran
    Jake Fraley
    Ian Happ
    Nolan Jones
    Josh Lowe
    Brandon Marsh
    Lars Nootbaar
    James Outman
    Luis Robert Jr.