1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I can not see Dusty as racist. He simply has too much respect in so many areas of the baseball community. Over 50+ years it would come out.

That said, based on the things I have heard and read about Dusty and the environment he lived through, especially early in life I can totally see him wanting a young black man to succeed, and maybe be influenced by that and give him a bit more of a chance. But much more out of wanting him to succeed than keeping others down.

However, I can see this regardless of race. I see it with Dubon as well. There is a very real possibility Dusty would have treated him the same if he was white. Julks probably made a great early impression that influenced Dusty throughout the year.

Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

As for Julks - Dusty believes his bat will be good in the majors. I don't see it, but whatever - I am not a former big leaguer that has been in the game for 65 years.

13 in 33, eliefor3, PiPdAdY33 and 2 others like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the fact that Julks is black is most likely coincidence and a convenient excuse for racists to attack Dusty.

I'm sure Dusty has thought lots of prospects could hit in MLB and some did and others didn't.

That's just the nature of scouting and prospects.

eliefor3 likes this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Who cares? Dusty is gone. We don’t have to wonder why he does really stupid things anymore.

5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The latter is far more common today

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I doubt Dusty believes it. He's just living in the shadow of the time he grew up. I saw many people of that generation who were never able to see the change which occurred.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Radricky

Radricky Member

Can we please stop talking about dusty ****ing baker?
    He’s gone and can’t hurt you anymore

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Had not heard that about Berkman but the other guys I can see. Actually thinking about it I could see Lance not being everyone’s cup of tea.
    I know some people that shared a locker room with JV and they weren’t impressed and it makes me laugh whenever I hear anyone talking about him mentoring Hunter brown. Nope.

9. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Just let Dusty die in peace.

scott_summers and Tomstro like this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

We are all a product of our upbringing and environment. I don’t see how it would be possible for him not to be shaped by that. We all are.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I wish we go get Blake Snell

Radricky likes this.
  12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Extending Framber who should be cheaper for 200 IP per season than Snell for 150 IP per season.

Snell will have high highs and lower lows while Framber is as dependable as SP get.

The Beard likes this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

14. Nook

Nook Member

Justin Verlander is a leader in the same way that Roger Clemens is - they have an awesome work ethic and focus and discipline. However, they are not going to take you under their wing or show any interest unless you ask them a specific question and they will then help you when they decide to help you.

Verlander has worked with Brown and Valdez. He agreed to look at film on them and he made some suggestions and showed them how he watches and breaks down film - and that was that. There is no checking in later or small talk. If a player wants something they need to ask because Verlander and Clemens isn’t going to worry or look out for someone else.

It is a type of selfishness and aloofness that makes them great.

Even Andy Pettite had to go out of his way to do it everything Clemens did in workouts and routines for years before he and Clemens had the type of relationship where Clemens would offer unsolicited help.

I’ll say this though - Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite worked harder than any players I have ever seen in an Astros uniform. I would be in MMP at 7-8 am for a noon or 1 pm start and those two were there - running for an hour, working out, stretching - playing long toss. From what I have been told - Verlander is the same way. Nolan Ryan was too…. and all were called dicks.

itzIce, 13 in 33, Wulaw Horn and 5 others like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

crose likes this.
  16. Radricky

Radricky Member

But only one can field a bunt or slow roller to the mound

17. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Isn't David Robertson almost 40? Lol

Rvo384 likes this.
  18. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Actual racism is bottom of the barrel and there is nothing worse.

19. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

talk about a disliked teammate. These two… yikes

[​IMG]

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member