1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. toby

toby Member

Pretty sure this will be underwhelming, but I'd almost prefer signing a bottom end starter at this point. Let the new guy duke it out with Brown, Urquidi, et al for the 5th/6th spot and stash the rest in the pen. Odorizzi 2.0.

ryan_98 and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed... I get the feeling Dana Brown doesn't want to have to trade prospects since the farm is light. I think he would rather save those bullets during the trading deadline...

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes but if that’s the case go find another buy-low guy. Vince Velasquez might be worth a flier and could even outperform Neris next year.

IowaAstro and raining threes like this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Agreed...

raining threes likes this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Brown simply must bring in a veteran leverage arm now.

The question is do the purse strings come off or is it a trade? Or both.

I hate the idea of paying current FA prices/years for ANY RP as volatile as they are.

I hate trading from the minors leagues, as it is so shallow in high ceiling talent as it is.

Find a team who is very short on SP but has a TOR guy or 2 and likes Urquidy/France then hope Framber, JV, Javier, and Brown remain healthy and productive all season, someone from the minors has a really good J P. France immitation, and either Lance and/or Garcia return healthy. ( then trade for an established veteran RP of similar value)

No good options but I think that's the best.

raining threes and panamamyers like this.
  6. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

That's the problem with this whole situation... We have no idea how this starting rotation will fair for 2024. If Framber and Javier are rock solid in 2024, this team is going to be in great shape. I think it's fool's gold to count on Garcia and McCullers for 2024. I'm not saying Urquidy is untouchable but trading him right now might not be the best decision.

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Only Bagwell would sign someone with shoulder injuries to anything of value...

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

As I said - not necessarily a good idea but may be the best of all the options which are bad.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Neris unraveling was more of misuse... never have the same reliever see the same team more than 3 times in a 4 game set... familiarity set in...

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Buy low arms I’d be interested in: Vince Velasquez, Matthew Boyd, Michael Fulmer, Keynan Middleton, Jose Cisnero, Scott Alexander, Brad Hand, Amir Garrett, Justin Wilson, Wandy Peralta

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Fulmer is hurt and will miss all of 2024. He had UCL revision surgery.

12. toby

toby Member

If they thought they could part with Urquidi, they would have already. They can't. I don't think that they can cover enough innings with trust worthy arms as it is. Maybe you trade when you know more about LMC and LG (both could be high leverage or both could be dumpster fires). You either find a guy to sign for the 7th or you sign a 7th starter and slot a TBD in the pen based on whose left after you set your rotation. We have plenty of guys with options and maybe one sticks, but I'd rather DFA an Odorizzi/Miley type because one of the AAAA guys is amazing than not have an option.

I'd even kick the tires on Greinke.

13. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

The NFL has a completely different salary cap and rules than MLB. They have a hard cap where as MLB does not. There is also the difference between 53 players and 26 players.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That is great advice and sound philosophy.

And also the difference between the 2022 team that was so deep in the bullpen that Brown and Will Smith weren't even needed and 2019, 2021, and 2023 where lack of pitching depth really showed up and cost the team.

15. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have options.

There are still free agents available and trade is an option as well.

At worst they go into the season and see if anyone emerges, and if they do not, they trade for someone at the deadline.

There are also a number of veteran arms that could bounce back and shouldn't be expensive - but from what I have heard, Brown cares less about track record than most GM's when it comes to the bullpen - he wants guys with stuff that can pan out with good health or tinkering. I cannot complain too much about that approach because the Braves and Dodgers do that as well. Ideally you don't spend a lot on your bullpen, so you have money for an expensive bat or starting pitcher.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Interesting. He was mentioned in MacTaggerts article today.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

https://apnews.com/article/michael-fulmer-cubs-elbow-surgery-827be5f730f3f69abe61a012d4cb07f2

"CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Cubs expect right-hander Michael Fulmer to miss the 2024 season after the reliever had surgery on his pitching elbow.

The Cubs said Fulmer underwent UCL revision surgery, a procedure that has a recovery projection similar to that of Tommy John surgery, on Wednesday. He missed the 2019 season with Detroit because of Tommy John surgery."

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. the shark

the shark Member

Speaking of Greinke.
    Just noticed we have 12.5 mil in deferred compensation for him that counts toward the 237 mil luxury tax this year (off the books after this season).

19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Yep, you can add the Rays to that list as well. They seek certain traits in pitchers and then get them to maximize those traits. The Astros used to do this as well.

20. Radricky

Radricky Member

They need to do something.
    Declan Cronin, Oliver Ortega, and Dylan Coleman ain’t it.