1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Wonder what's the cost of Gabriel Moreno C blue jays?

Young cheap hits. What would you guys deal for him if possible?

Not a fan of Jensen so what would you pay for Gabriel Moreno?

PiPdAdY33 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Why would they trade him?

Yordan The Great and Bregatron like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

C (Lee or replacement)
    OF (Meyers or replacement)
    IF (Hensley or replacement)
    UT (Dubon or replacement)

1st thing you do is fix the lineup with real players: 1B and DH

4. Jeremy Williams

Yep, right now the current players would likely be Matijevic (1B), Lee (backup C), Meyers (backup OF), Hensley (DH), Dubon (backup OF), Yainer (backup C/1B).

IMO, the players that are going to be targeted for upgrades are Matijevic and Meyers. Upgrading C would be a premium.

Upgrading S Martinez (Verlander or LHRP) would also be a premium.

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

In my experience astros don't typically win competitions for free where against other teams, particularly the big spenders.
    Hopefully that was more of a click thing than a astros thing. We will see

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not sure what you mean by “typically”, but Brantley and Verlander both were pretty heavily pursued before Houston re-signed them. And I am pretty sure Maldonado, Odorizzi, and Neris had offers from other teams before they signed with Houston as free agents. Further back, Reddick was fairly heavily sought-after free agent when Houston signed him.

BlindHog and No Worries like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There are those on this board who don't count signing your own free agents.

eliefor3 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

More like we don't count it when Crane has to intervene and do the signing for the GM, because the GM is a penny pinching **** at times, despite the fact that he did some good things while here.

J_Hunter_1977 and IBTL like this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I thought we were talking about the Astros, not the GM. But I could be wrong.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Lower that number to 100 AB’s and I’m ok with him coming back. That’s 25 games at 4 AB’s per game bc please for the love of God
    Tell me he’s hitting 9th. Anything more than that I’m not super happy about.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Yes no GM wants Dubon. I'm usually positive about players knowing they all can't be all-stars and young guys are trying to develop. The older guys are still trying to have one more great season. But Dubon isn't good at anything, he is a below average utility player. Hopefully they replace him soon.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Maybe no GM wants him but I bet the majority of field managers want him.

He is perfect 26th man and allows a team to have an extra bat First player for run production.

He is below average at many things, but he is better than AAAA at those things.

The problem is not him being on the team. The problem is him being played like he is a starter.

Much of that was the team believing Chas is a corner OF more than CF ( may still be an issue, I don't know) and neither Siri nor Meyers doing enough to win the CF job.

If Meyers, Leon or someone else wins the CF job and performs then much of this goes away.

Alvarez playing more LF also reduces Dubon's role so I expect that to help as well.

I fully expect Dubon to be on the team and will be happy for it it the Astros sign 2 bats this offseason and he gets less than 1/2 the starts of last year.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Moreno is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball, 3rd overall by Fangraphs. That caliber of prospect rarely gets traded and if so, the astros aren't a good fit trade wise. Hypothetically, for the Blue Jays to get value back a deal would have to start with someone like Pena or maybe Javier plus additional pieces.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

This.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Which is why it’s impossible but Jansen would be feasible I guess

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

No one's a huge Dubon fan when you consider how many PA's he gets. He's a well-below average bat.

But I agree with IdStrosfan 100% that he's there to back-up and defensively replace the older, bat-first guys. Dubon has career average defensive numbers at the key up the middle positions (SS/2B/CF).... which is decidedly above average compared to the usual utility player.

Think of the past few "super-utility" guys the Stros have had: MarGo and Aledmys. Both obviously had better offensive performance but:
    -MarGo was average to slightly above average at the corner spots and 2B while being below average at SS and unplayed/unplayable in CF.
    -Aledmys was similarly average+ at the corners and 2B, below average at SS and unplayed/unplayable in CF.

Having a utility guy who's solid at the most important defensive positions has value.

Tomstro and Madmanmetz like this.
  17. Yordan The Great

Dang Buck, don't hurt 'em.

18. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

How many guys can you find that can play shortstop and center field?
    The value to Dubon is not that he's even average at anything, it's that he is like having two players in one You'd need to do things differently if he wants on the team because it would be hard to find anyone else that can play those two positions defensively.
    He also seems like a good clubhouse guy.
    You just can't play him so much.

19. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

At least one did and before this off-season is over another may. There must be something about some of these guys that we just can't see.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

I wonder what would need to happen for us to extend Kyle, Framber and Javier. I’m guessing it would cost us JV but maybe that’s the best plan moving forward? I wonder if our FO wants to see how Framber will do with the shift changes, this isn’t a great time to extend since it’s kind of at these guys’ peak…but I suppose the cost could continue to increase, and there’s something to be said for projectability and knowing what we’ll have for years to come.

BlindHog likes this.