1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That is just not fair.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nah. Talking about Abreu. His Slider and curveball have the highest whiff rate and lowest batting average. People are actually hitting his fastball at around .288 while his breaking balls have less that .200 batting average. It's his least effective pitch but the pitch he throws strikes with.

#1782 rockbox, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  3. HTown2017Champs

I don’t mind kicking the tires on Bellinger, but somebody will be desperate and overpay.
    But if he took a 1 yr, $12M deal, I’d consider. Maybe he’s fixable, and at his peak he was a beast. The talent is there. And regarding past comments, I think he’s a little childish, but he could probably be very well-served coming here. Maybe Dusty Baker and company can straighten him, he needs to act like an adult.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Verlander has told Crane he’d come back at 2 years/80 million. Doesn’t sound like Crane is going to meet him at that price.

In more obvious news, Crane is interested in Abreu.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

$80M/2yrs is not at all unreasonable. But I still wouldn’t give it to him unless a significant portion of that ($10M+) was bonuses for innings pitched.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Sources breh? o_O

#1786 IBTL, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    cbass and Madmanmetz like this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'd do it.

8. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Tough call here. He is still the de facto staff ace and vet presence that is needed in a grueling 162 game season. It is nice to know you have a hammer coming up in rotation if you are in one of those mid season slumps where you have lost 2 or 3. JV is that hammer that can come in and throw 6 or even 7 innings of 2 hit 0 run ball. That can sometimes be the difference between a 2-3 game slump breaking or continuing on to a 5 or 6 game slump. Now is it worth 3/130. If we get this years performance ir even 85-90% of it I think it is. Now… how much longer before he loses a couple of ticks off his fastball, or that slider stops biting? It happens to all of them. Does JV have that Nolan Ryan gene or is he merely human and the inevitable fall off is coming? Glad it is not my pocketbook..

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

Haven't seen or heard this anywhere.

It's already been asked but what is your source here????

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

So quiet...this is gonna be a looooooooong winter and I'm already running out of patience lol. Please get someone amazing FO!

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

My friend has business interests with Crane. That’s directly from Crane. Personally I’d do the deal. My buddy told him he wouldn’t so I let him know if we don’t get JV back it’s on him.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

That's cool. Your sauces check out then.

I'm really hoping we do the deal too. But if not, definitely is your friends fault!

houstonstime, rockbox and BigM like this.
  13. Qan

Qan Member

Hey, imsiders can't give their sources away....what would that make them? Judge signing with Astros.

14. Qan

Qan Member

Your friend is a smart man, not worth 40mil.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Baseball off-season is the worst.

solid and AznH-TownFan like this.
  16. CinematicFusion

do a deal of 2 years 70 million with an option for a third at 35 million. Have a buy out for year 3 at 10 million.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d do it either way but I’m not in charge of finances. I assume spending $40 million on JV prices them out of someone like Abreu which is partially why it’s not a deal. So if the off-season moves were just resigning our free agents Montero, Verlander, Yuli and Brantley would that be a win or a loss?

18. Yordan The Great

Anybody have a beat on Tucker's arbitration numbers for these next three off seasons?

It must be pretty good for him to have turned down whatever deal we offered him last off season.

19. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

i would BOO his ass at every AT BAT AT HOME!................(Until the Word Series when he does something amazing)

20. Nook

Nook Member

This.

There are some issues with the second year and options, etc.

I still think there is a chance that someone comes and puts a third year old the table though.