1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Judge will win it and it doesn't matter. Yordan got the hardware he wants.

2. Qan

Qan Member

Yordan MVP next year....and he'll actually perform in the playoffs.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the end of the day, it's about optics. I expect Dusty back in the club house. The players love him period. I'm not a fan of Click, but he did a great job with the bullpen. On MLB Network, Jon Morosi hinted that Crane would look at the special advisor that went to the Brewers that was under Jeff Luhnow. I can't recall his name.

I hope Crane and VJ can come through some type of agreement before Thursday. I believe that will decide where the additional money/priorities will go to upgrade the team. JV and his family want to be here and Crane does as well. Is JV willing to take a longer deal for less money per year? It all depends.

Pitching is what really set this team up to win a world series. If they can keep that a priority and upgrade the holes that are in the line up, I can expect them back in the World Series next year.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Batting behind Yordan that would be against the law

5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One last thing, Houston will imo be a popular destination for FAs this offseason. Houston has one of the best odds to win not only next year, but their window to compete for a few years. Not many other teams can offer that right now.

I also don't have an issue with Crane's involvement. He has surrounded himself with people like Mr. October and others to guide him.

Analytics is huge in today's game, but you also have to use experience to call on.

@Nook knows better then me but I expect FAs will be looked at differently with the new rules in place for 2023.

itzIce, Stoic Rob and 13 in 33 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know how good Crane is. What I do know is that he has either been incredibly lucky the last 8-9 years or he is excellent at making hires or he just has a high baseball aptitude.

I do know that Crane pushed very hard for Verlander. He also was also upset at Luhnow and now Click about failing to get good deals at the deadline…. Luhnow got another shot at Verlander at the waiver wire and it worked out.

Click talked up lots of possible moves and said he was discussing a deal for Contreras and Happ involving Urquidy. He apparently brought back a deal for only Contreras as Crane was not pleased at an over pay.

So does Crane just have a horseshoe up his ass? IDK

7. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I don't know if he does or not but I love his involvement in everything. He wants to win.

itzIce, mikol13, Stoic Rob and 2 others like this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Gee.. I wonder why I mentioned Happ half a dozen times in the deadline thread. He was supposed to fill in for Brantley. Cubs got cold feet. Click was talking a big game that he was getting another big deal done, but got played and had to go back to Crane with a 1 for 1 deal that heavily favored the Cubs.

9. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Any interest in Benintendi? What's better, a 1 year deal for Brantley(age and health a concern?) Or a multi year deal for Benintendi?

Not having a lefty didn't backfire (yeah Smith but wasn't used in the playoffs). Want Chafin or asking price will be high?. Just use Taylor or anyone in the minors for the regular season. If they feel they need a lefty, just use Taylor in the playoffs?

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Click built an elite pen and that had an enormous part in winning the title. Does he only know pitching? TB always had a parade of elite arms coming at you, but meh offense, albeit on a limited budget.

If clicks forte is building pitching, do we need him as much now? Pressly signed for two more years, four years of Abreu control, Neris under contract, Stanek two more years of control. Let Montero go.

We lauded the Vasquez and Mancini moves for value and fit. Mancini didn’t work out. Vasquez did.

I support bringing Click back because you can never be smart enough on managing your pitching resources. But, if Crane has Sterns in hand or someone equally strong analytically, I get why he would want to move on.

11. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

I would love him. I know Brantley is a fan and team favorite but Benintendi would be a younger version of Brantley. Could slot him into LF and keep Alvarez at DH.

punkoholic likes this.
  12. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

I worry about the Dusty and Crane VS Click dynamic. If Dusty comes back, then who’s to say we don’t see more potential player acquisition vetoes. I think Contreras would’ve been a phenomenal move at the deadline but if Dusty/Crane really vetoed it, not sure what else they did. I can see Click wanting to go because of this. If we look at another manager (hopefully promote Espata), then maybe Click won’t be as hamstrung. I know the money from this WS should help Crane dip into tax. This is an extremely important decision. I say bring Click back but if he doesn’t want to then look at Stearns or someone else in the Luhnow tree.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

No interest in Benintendi personally. Good player for sure but I think Brantley and Yordan splitting LF/DH time makes a lot more sense than locking Benintendi to LF. Yordan hits better when he gets to play the field. I really like the professional hitter/pseudo-coach role Brantley plays. And the shorter term contract is highly desirable.

I don't think they spend on a lefty. You look at the lefty splits of the top pen guys coming back and none are weak against lefties:

Lefty slashline against in 2022:
    Stanek: .175/.264/.238
    Neris: .205/.252/.286
    Abreu: .180/.287/.208
    Pressley: .178/.235/.278

(Montero was also an animal against lefties: .157/.260/.243)

Maton was mediocre to bad and Seth Martinez was really bad against lefties, but not really a big deal to have a few guys who are righty-only.

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Honestly Benintendi fits what the Astros like in a player. Gets on base doesn't SO alot and plays the OF. He would be a Priority FA along with Josh Bell.

Those two aland try and bring back Verlander at a good rate should be a way we should go.

Getting people on base is the key small ball for the long ball.

I dont know if Montero would be back, I could see someone snagging him.

I also think one of Urquidy or Garcia might get moved giving Hunter Brown a chance at a SP spot

punkoholic likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As long as the horseshoe is dependable, I'm good with it.

Kim and Nook like this.
  16. Screaming Fist

I’m going to guess they sign Brantley, Abreu, a reliever, but they don’t sign JV.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Benetendi would want too long of a deal.

I think the team has used resources to get future OF: Leon, Barber, Gilbert, Melton, Clifton, and have many more guys who have liw possibility high ceilings and one may surprise.

I don't see them bringing in someone who would want over 2-3 years.

The spots need to be available for whichever youngster shines and the money needs to be available as the current 2-4 year Astros advance towards free agency.

That makes Brantley a perfect re-signing candidate

That's not the case at 1B where there really isn't a slam dunk candidate in the system so I could see them signing Abreu, Bell, or Rizzo ( in that order) or a complete surprise we didn't think of.

I think JV is back and the $$$ is huge but Crane does it anyway

Montero has priced himself out of the Astros budget.

18. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

I think they try to resign Brantley to be the DH/LF. Centerfield, I think they’re set on staying within the system, maybe buying time for Leon to be ready. 1B really depends on Verlander, and I think Crane is going to pay to keep him. If he doesn’t then they shoot for Bell/Rizzo. If he does I could see Yuli coming back with them seeing what Y. Diaz can do. If that fails then they’ll move Urquidy for someone at the deadline. Catcher is up to Maldy, I wouldn’t mind to see Vasquez/Lee/Diaz to start the year. Montero will be gone most likely. Tucker or Framber get extended

19. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

20. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Crane is upping payroll. So I can see them adding one of the 1B even if they resign verlander and brantley.