1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Also- by the way- I bring **** up if it's based in reality. If you offer 1 year less and 30% less per year than where the market is were you ever really in the negotiations or running? I would say no. So, your offer was either 1) To look good for the fans, 2) a pointless waste of time or 3) you completely and totally misjudged the market.
    Correa was 1 and JV was 3 I would maintain.

2. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

How do you square the above and your very next post "I bring up **** that is based in reality".

Your ability to second guess and play arm chair owner/GM wouldn't be so annoying if you weren't so authoritative in your delivery and if you weren't so consistently negative in your message that Crane's approach is in some way lacking despite all the success he has had with that approach.

tierre_brown, IBTL, cbass and 4 others like this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don’t have any problem with how the JV thing played out. I agree 100% and said as much. if you think making Correa a 6/180 offer coming off his age 27 season where he finished top 10 in mvp voting (5th maybe) with 7 WAR was in any way a serious offer that they thought correa was going to entertain we don’t have anything to say to each other and feel free to put me on ignore. That literally was 100M and 4 years light from the Detroit offer which wasn’t good enough to sign and roughly 140-160 shy of what his actual market value was minus failing the physicals. Granato was on it. National guys were on it. It was fake and never designed to beg a deal done. If you can’t see that then that’s a you thing and feel free to ignore me.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

When Ballys went bust I was really hopeful this would avoid us. No such luck.
    on one hand/ this is a great time for the Astros to sell their rights as we are in the middle of an amazing success cycle.
    on the other hand I think all Tv providers are paying for content with 20% off Best Buy coupons or something like that, so….
    The deal we signed at the time was pretty middling. Just no idea what a market looks like now.

6. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

So it’s possible all your criticism at Crane for being frugal wasn’t warranted.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

you can't really count a 60 game farce as a season either.

9. Yordan The Great

So he got into an ultra exclusive club over a 4 year stint while only playing in 3 of the years.

That's bad ass.

10. Yordan The Great

Speaking of Yordan, has anyone checked in on the Dodgers and how they are dealing with the Yordan trade?

The relief pitcher they obtained may have allowed the Astros to get back into that World Series which propelled them to the championship. Then they watched as Yordan became a post season legend for the ages in securing our second championship.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. Buck Turgidson

Swap Cedeno and Ryan and you've got it figured out

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is why AI is untrustworthy. Imagine having that list without Bill Doran at multiple spots on it. It’s outrageous!

Rockets34Legend and Hmmmm710 like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I don't see Bill Spiers, Terry Puhl or Casey Candaele anywhere around here, either

#10014 Buck Turgidson, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    raining threes likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was thinking swap Ryan and Oswalt.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Where would you place Jose Cruz?

17. raining threes

I would put him on the list instead of Wags. I also would put J.R. higher.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

AI is still a program with all the strengths and weaknesses of the programmer. Garbage In = Garbage Out.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Doran should have been, simultaneously, #1, #3, and #7. It's criminal

20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

JR is good at stealing content from others - his own opinions are infantile. Not sure he should be higher.

(Edited to add … perhaps you meant the pitcher. Yes, he’s quite impressive and should be lauded as such.)

IBTL and raining threes like this.