1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I was 99.9% sure that it was tongue in cheek but I had the thought that a few here might run to the bank with it.

I am the same when it comes to talent not having that fire to be better than the day before. It sad because I know Nolan stumped for FW as the pick and Nolan worked like a crazied animal as a player. We shall see if it clicks. I guess the positive is it least he was pitching in the video and not going Trevor B on some random "woman".

#9421 Madmanmetz, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  2. Yordan The Great

Would be have made it in had he called it quits a few years earlier and finished with, let's say, 2600 hits? I would think not.

Has a similar feel to Craig Biggio.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You say that like it’s a bad thing. I say that FW is merely living his best life. Some from column A, some from Column B.
    Who is the more stubborn jackass- FW or Kyrie Irving?

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Did you even go to school brah? As someone who had to explain hyperbole to some of the more dim the other day I appreciate the sentiment from your last couple posts.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His career totals are not elite, but he's one of the best 3B of all-time. Only Chipper & Beltre were arguably better 3B of the era. And Beltre's argument is purely based on playing way more games in his career.

6. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

How about 26-29 with 225 saves? Or Billy Wagner type numbers with HOU. I would be tickled pink with that from him.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Kyrie Irving made it the NBA and made millions with his talent before he started behaving like a selfish dumbass who thought he knew everything.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I hate B Ball. How did they wind up on the Astros Off Season thread?. Maybe someone should chastise them and tell them where to take off subject topics. LOL!

Honestly, it's fine with me, but some folks have a blind spot to their own deviations and become absolutely anal about others doing the same.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He wasn’t better than Graig Nettles.

10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He cant be one of the best 3rd basemen of all time when you just said two 3rd basemen of his era were better. He wasn’t one of the best all time. He was a really good player who fizzled the 2nd half of his career.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Poor argument.

Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, and Duke Snyder all played at the same era. I'm sure we can find many other examples.

Are you going to say one isn't an all time great because there were 2 others who played at the same time?

Is Max Scherzer not an all time great because he played at the same time as Justin Verlander and Clayton Kershaw?

Is Jim Thome not an all time great because he played in the same era as Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell?

12. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Hey, don't forget the Adderall!

Nook likes this.
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

actually they are different eras. Rolens offensive output didn’t stand out in his era. Maybe that was because of steroids. Mantle and Mays put up the best numbers of their era regardless of position. Rolen’s numbers were never as dominant in his era. Like I said, he put up really good numbers for 8 years and then fizzled. Rolen did not dominate the league like mays and mantle.

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

If Rolen had continued his ‘98-‘04 pace I think he should get in. In that time he had 2 or 3 hall of fame worthy seasons mixed in with some good seasons. He didn’t make a career of it. 2 or 3 or 4 hall of fame worthy seasons out of 15 should not get you in the hall. In that case, Cesar Cedeno would be in. So would a lot of people. By letting players like Baines and Rolen in you are creating a slippery slope. For a long time, 3rd basemen weren’t expected to be middle of the order power hitters like they are now. Rolen hit 30 homers 3 times. Had 100 rbi’s 5 times. Thats really solid. Thats not elite over a full career.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So defense should never be considered because it's completely inconsequential to a players value. If the offenseive numbers aren't there, end of discussion. Ozzie Smith and Brooks Robinson aren't hall of fame material either.

Harold Baines got in because of cronyism on the veterans committee, he never came close to being voted in.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That's not what you said.

You said a player can't be an all time great if there were 2 other players better at his position in the same era.

FTR: I understand and respect your argument about Rolen. It's valid. But multiple greats can play in the same era.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's a top 10 3B all-time in my opinion.

Nook likes this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

For 7 seasons

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

You cant compare rolens “greatness” to mantle and mays. Its not close. Position not even a factor in that.

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Ok so if Bregman has one more good season and then falls off a cliff, is he in the hall? 2 more good seasons?

no