1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This.

It is also why someone like Beltre is arguably one of the best third basemen to ever live.

His OPS is barely over .800 but he was an exceptional fielder, that had a solid bat and played well for two decades.

sealclubber1016 and texans1095 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

These are the type of things that Whitley is good at. In doors, in the cage where he can toss a couple dozen pitchers, look awesome and walk off after taking a couple xanax bars and driving to Texas Roadhouse to pick up his teenage girlfriend after a hard day of waiting tables.

xcrunner51, Rock Block, AWIN and 12 others like this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All these years later and there's still something I don't understand: was it ever alleged that the Astros were cheating during the World Series? I've seen the Jomboy videos and it makes sense that batters could hear the trash cans in an empty mid-summer Minute Maid Park against the White Sox. However, it never seemed plausible that they could hear bangs during a full, raucous World Series home game. Also, if the system was home-only, the Dodgers need to shut up about losings games 2 and 7 in Los Angeles.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I have no evidence to back it up, but I have a feeling that Pena is going to be appreciably better at getting on base this season.

For that reason, I wouldn't rule out Pena staying in the #2 spot.

I think we could see a 750 OPS fairly easily and I wouldn't rule out one in the .780-800 range.

He had a really bad August after a couple mediocre months, but ended looking confident again.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Is his xanax dealer another waiter at the restaurant? Does the dealer leave a bag of bars behind the gas door on his car? Not that I would know anything about how that might work....

raining threes and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

His xanax dealer is the bartender at Texas Roadhouse and is looking forward to railing Whitley's girlfriend when he reports to camp.

Really good dealers leave it in your mail box - or so I hear.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beltre has one of the weirder offensive career arcs around. Comes up super young, shows elite potential but never quite lives up to it until his contract year where he busts out at age 25. Then signs a big contract with Seattle and is a pretty uninspiring hitter through his age 30 season, where he posts a sub .700 OPS. He signs a 1 year deal in Boston, gets top 10 MVP votes, and then gets another long term deal -- and proceeds to produce consistently well with the Rangers all the way through his late 30s.

His counting numbers ended up really good, but you wouldn't expect someone with his late 20s numbers to end up there. If he hadn't had the monstrous age 25 season, it wouldn't look as weird

texans1095 and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

There is a lot going on with Beltre.

He was signed at too young an age to start off with and scouts think a lot of questionable things were happening around him as an amateur.

He is also someone that was a suspected PED user at one point.

The Seattle ball park he played in and the team he played on was really not good for offensive production for someone with his profile.

He was considered a negative contract in Seattle for awhile.

He broke out in Boston and then the Rangers, two places great for hitters.

If you look at his splits they are pretty pronounced in both LA and especially SEATTLE. He was a far better hitter on the road. Had he played in some place like Boston or Texas his entire career, he would like have close to 100 more homers and an extra 50-60 points on his OPS.

raining threes likes this.
  9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

We admitted to stealing the 17 World Series? News to me. I know a former employee of the Astros said we stole it. But former employees say a lot of crap. Also how did we pull off trash can gate in Dodger stadium TWICE. Josh Fields wet the bed game 2 and CFM simply made their lineup his b****. So. Shut up Dave. We came to your house and smacked you. Sorry we left the seat up and you fell in.

raining threes and crose like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They cheated (better than us) and shifted (better than us) an won (more than us.)

raining threes likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He was an elite player, but injured often. 3B is severely underrepresented in the HOF. He's pretty similar to Nolan Arenado and Manny Machado, who I think are future HOFers.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Much will be determined with those 2 the next 5-10 years.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

His numbers are not elite.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Careful, some around here have no understanding of exaggerating the truth for comedic effect. Many believe all your gospel.

It would be a pleasant surprise to see FW make it at least in the bullpen.

raining threes, Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  15. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I always challenge those people to go watch the three games in HOU for the WS on YouTube and tell me where you hear bangs? You can’t because it didn’t happen because it was too effin’ loud. Plus the LA pitchers changed all their signs up over and over throughout. So did we. Everyone was paranoid as **** because everyone was doing it!

16. Major

Major Member

It's not that simple. It was confirmed that the Astros used the system during the playoffs. If it didn't help them, they were stupid for using it. If the players couldn't hear it, they were stupid for using it. Whether the Astros used it in the WS is pretty irrelevant if you're the Dodgers. The Astros won all 4 home games against the Yankees, two of which were by 1 run. If any of those games benefited from the trash cans, it means that the Dodgers may not have even had to play the Astros had it not been for the cheating. So the specific outcomes of each Astros-Dodgers game isn't relevant to the argument for them. That's the beauty of "what-if"s - you don't have to actually play the games or consider the results. It's no different than Rockets fans acting as though they would have clearly beaten the Warriors in games 6 and 7 and then beaten the Eastern Conferece team if Chris Paul hadn't gotten hurt.

mtbrays likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I think Arenado is pretty close right now. Not even 32 years old and has 10 gold gloves, 7 all star games and 5 Silver Slugger awards… two more all star level seasons and I think he is in.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Fair enough. I was saying it tongue in cheek. I hope Whitley does well because he is an Astro and I hate to see talent wasted… but if you put a gun to my head I would take the under on whether Whitley wins 10 games in his career in the big leagues.

prospecthugger and Madmanmetz like this.
  19. raj87

raj87 Member

ngl I’m good at the same things

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros season can't start soon enough. This has not been the season to try to watch more Rockets games. I've been able to watch young players develop before, but this has been more brutal than I remember.

crose likes this.