1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

I will block your throat punch, and lament that Biggio and Bagwell both ended their careers on an injured note.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea, I would be completely onboard giving ohtani 50 mil a year. Dude is an elite bat AND a TOR..

3. awc713

awc713 Member

Kendrick Lamar and Bad Bunny reppin Dodgers hats at the Grammys, but Scarface giving the Stros some shine too

Joshfast likes this.
  4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

To answer your question….at this point yes…..

eliefor3 and Major like this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Astros report on the 16th, but it appears there is a media blackout until the first pre-season game.

As tedious as the first week of Spring Training is, it is better than off season.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Call him up!

Rock Block likes this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's also unique from a marketing perspective. In a market that has a large Asian population, he would bring a lot of casual fans. The Yao Ming effect.

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Biggio makes it on counting stats. 3000 hits. 1800 runs. 400 SB’s. Well over 600 doubles. Also made all star at catcher and 2b which had never been done before. Biggio muscled his way in through longevity. I think Rolen barely got to 2000 hits and he was injured a lot. Also, Rolen’s just under 1300
    rbi’s for a career power hitter hall of famer is pretty weak. Rolen’s 2nd half of his career was underwhelming.

#9388 Tomstro, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    No Worries likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They let Harold Baines in the HOF.... go compare his stats to what Berkman did

They drastically lowered the bar.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Rolen was ROY, 7 time all star, silver slugger, and 8 time gold glove winner. Also had very good WS in '06.

He has the hardware and defensive performance to help overcome offensive stats that would not get him in alone.

He is also just the 18th 3B to get in. The fewest of any positions ( besides RP or DH) so maybe increasing that representation was a factor though I hope not.

His 70.1 bWAR is 10th all time among 3B.

Based on these factors I say he belongs in.

#9390 IdStrosfan, Feb 6, 2023
    Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In his book defense doesn't really matter, so when you take that away from Rolen he isn't a hall of famer.

I disagree, and so did the voters, but to each their own opinion.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Graig Nettles hasn’t gotten in has he? If you put rolen in based on his defense then you gotta put Nettles in. Nettles also hit 390 home runs and was a 6 time all star. He and schmidt were the best defensive 3rd basemen of their era. At the plate Rolen had 7 good (not great) years and 1 great year.

#9393 Tomstro, Feb 6, 2023
  14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's insane that this lineup is so good that Tucker might be hitting 6th or 7th.

Rock Block and Nook like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t know why they would bat him anything other than 5th. The perfect lineup barring a trade for a catcher:

Altuve
    Pena
    Alvarez
    Bergman
    Tucker
    Abreu
    Brantley
    McCormick
    Maldonado

Rightie/Leftie 2-8.

BlindHog and crose like this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think this lineup is the one they end up with.

I still think Pena's poor on base skills hurt the overall run scoring with this lineup even if he personally is better.

That's one reason guys like Alvarez and Bregman don't get 100 RBI hitting behind him.

Personally I would like to see:

Altuve
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Abreu
    Tucker
    Pena
    Brantley
    McCormick
    Maldonado.

I love Brantley's bat behind Tucker and Pena's baserunning.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

With him and baines in, it is becoming the hall of good players. Now you gotta let nettles, whitaker, and schilling in. Maybe steve finley lol.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree Baines has no business in there.

I am 50/50 on Rolen but I bet I can think of a dozen HOFers who are less deserving than Rolen and have been in for years.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yes, maybe a dozen and many of those are more recent as the committee has gone super soft.

Scott Rolen was a good player and great for a
    Short time. The gold glove awards and all star selections got him in. We all know the GG award is trash. History proves that over and over. All star selections are also popularity awards. Not saying Rolen didn’t earn his, but his numbers don’t add up to HOF. The hall should be reserved for the elites. Rolen had an elite year and some good years around it. He was a good player, he was not elite.

20. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

With that being said, Dodgers’ manager Dave Roberts has yet to move on from the cheating scandal.

“But if we would have won in ’17 (against the Houston Astros), would that have changed? So two in six years. I hate to sound like sour grapes. But we (Dodgers) got ’17 stolen from us. They admitted it. That’s fact,” Roberts said, via The Orange County Register.

He's still crying.