1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't see any reason he can't get back to 700 OPS, or close to it.

But if he has enough PA for it to make a difference then the Astros are in trouble.

BlindHog likes this.
  2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

i'm not. Trade him. Let one of the youngsters take his place. He only invites Dusty to play him due to their history and he has consistently disappointed. He just takes playing time away from guys with far more upside. We know what Dubon is: a terrible hitter and an average defender.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Like off the site or dead?

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Average EV 6th percentile
    Max EV 35th percentile
    BB% 15th percentile
    ISO 19th percentile

I have a hard time seeing him above a 35th percentile hitter except out of random luck in any decent sample size, and even then that assumes he gets the most of his power and raises his BB% signficantly. 0.650 is a 35th percentile hitter for last year. I expect him to hit better than last year, but its going to take some lucky horse shoes or a lot of flubber to get above 0.700 for any reasonable number of PAs.

His IF defense grades out very well though.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Terrible hitter and well above average defender at all positions. Look at his defensive stats.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not CF for which he spent most of time in Houston.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  7. rockbox

Average centerfielder because of arm strength. I would say very good for an utility guy.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  8. Yordan The Great

Yeah I can't see how anyone watched Dubon last year and said "man what an above average center fielder this guy is".

HatsForBats likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I wish I could share your high opinion of people in general, but life has led me to other conclusions.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm sure either will do. some people cannot stand any opinion that differs from their own. especially when they're wrong.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I have a pretty extensive posting history on this site. There are likely upwards of a thousand examples of me accepting (or even converting to) someone else’s opinion that is different from mine. You are incapable of looking inward. You are also incapable of looking beyond the tiny worldview you’ve boxed yourself into. It is sad, pathetic, dangerous, and for those of us forced to be exposed to you, aggravating.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Glad to be of assistance. But I'm hardly dangerous if you truly accept diverse opinions.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Please stop the aggression. I have logged this as your first warning.

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It would be a much better thread if you would all just hit ignore on him, stop quoting him, and stop the aggression towards him

he is a babbling fool, but instead of stooping to his level, ignore him

15. Yordan The Great

Who are we talking about?

16. rockbox

Yordan The Great likes this.
  17. Yordan The Great

Astros without anyone in the Shredder top 10 of Starting Pitchers.

Valdez > #10 Urias.

Shredder should do a top 20 for both pitching categories, but that's a discussion for another day.

18. Nook

Nook Member

From what I understand, Tucker is almost impossible. Valdez will extend but wants a long extension because of his age.
    Astros have tried to extend Javier several times and he passed. Astros are hoping to buy out an extra year or two, and convince him he will be a free agent when still young enough to get a long deal even with an extension. Javier really is cold blooded and turned down security believing he will be great.

Bregman wants a lot per season for an extension because of his age. Astros would do a short term deal.

Altuve and Astros will likely work something out at some point.

Astros want to extend Abreu and some guys that are very, very young.

Big criticism of Click was his financial negotiating skills. No idea if it’s fair criticism but it’s out there.

Braves have had some luck with extensions, but also meet in middle for what players want (length and age of player when offered). For example, Astros could have extended Alvarez in AAA or after rookie season or when injured from what I have heard. Instead they were concerned with risks and missed out. Alvarez wanted security and is a strong family/stability guy.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Means nothing, at least not to me.

If the Astros rotation is healthy. The Astros will be a top 5 rotation…. Figure in bullpen (which matters in playoffs more than ever with top starters only going 6-7) and the Astros should be in the top 3… figure in adding Abreu and Brantley and it’s the best team in baseball…. Someone may win more games, but in the post season the Astros are basically John Smoltz of Bob Gibson.