1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But did they win the world series?

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. 1 and 2 are both great with me, while 3 will suck. Feels like 3 is playing out right now but I might be wrong and overly in my feels.

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Fans: We need another arm!
    Astros: Here's Jake Odorizzi.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. lnchan

Supporting Member

"Not a stud":
    Framber
    Luis
    Javier
    Abreu
    McHugh
    Keuchel
    Altuve
    Marwin
    James
    Pena
    Brown
    Chas
    Straw

5. Major

Major Member

Could have said the same thing after 2019 - there was no superstar minor league talent, we lost Cole; Springer, Correa, and JV were likely unaffordable over the next few years. 3 years later, we have 3 more ALCS appearances, 2 WS appearances, 1 WS win, 2 homegrown rotation aces and a WS-MVP SS.

6. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Odo wasn't a fit. Dude had an attitude problem.

7. lnchan

Supporting Member

Shawn Chacón had an attitude problem. Fans had an unrealistic expectations problem with Odo.

PuzzledFan, Madmanmetz and MAstroS like this.
  8. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

What does Odo or Chacon have to do with 2023? Odo has unrealistic expectations for himself. He did sign until late Spring Training.

We can play tic for tac all day. It doesn't change the fact that there are some unknowns going into next season with the rotation. It's better to add an arm then try to trade for someone during the season.

9. lnchan

Supporting Member

Unknowns? You gotta be kidding me.

Point is you just don't add an arm because it has name recognition. And Odo was the 'big name' in 2021 that was not an upgrade. There is no one out there that is not at risk dropping off the cliff because of age or injury concerns that is left out there. This rotation SP1 through SP6 is solid and ranked top 5 according to most metrics in Baseball Reference and 538 even without Verlander in 2021 and 2022. Yes, Verlander relieved stress on the bullpen and the other starters, but this saying there are unknowns is... kinda ridiculous. Even in 2021 when everyone was concerned about the quality of the rotation... yes, fatigue hit with the core hitting a wall, but what else can you ask for when the starters were top 2 in the AL in ERA for the season?

SP1 - Framber - Top 5 in Cy Young balloting last year with consistency for 3 seasons now and entering his prime
    SP2 - Javier - lowest BA against last year with increasing ability to go deep into games
    SP3 - McCullers - not his biggest fan, but would be a SP1 on half the teams in MLB -- 6 man rotation should alleviate injury concerns
    SP4 - Urquidy -- fixing his pitch mix midseason resolved a lot of issues, still a strike thrower that can thrive with a solid defense behind him.
    SP5 - Garcia -- runner up in ROY 2021, players like that are expected to continue to develop, not drop off a cliff. Yes, there was a sophomore slump, but when your back end of the rotation completely outclasses everyone else's #3 starter in the division...
    SP6 - Brown - the command concerns from previous seasons have been resolved, and each of his pitches are MLB ready, his poise is not a concern

I have zero faith that the Rangers rotation stays intact beyond the all-star break

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am not one who thinks losing JV is a "nothing burger"

However this team is built to absorb that loss.

Let's say the team has decided that keeping the bullpen fresh is the secret to repeating.

In 2022 the starters threw 950 innings and bullpen 495.1 so let's keep that same ratio.

Framber: 29gs/ 181ip (-2gs / -10%ip)
    Javier: 28gs / 164ip (+10%ip)
    Garcia: 30gs / 173ip (+10%ip)
    Urquidy: 25gs / 148ip ( -9%ip)
    Brown: 24gs / 139ip (+10%ip)
    McCullers 22gs / 125ip ( managed after injury)
    Bielak/other: 4gs / 20 ip

This gives lots of room for adjustment.

Most can easily pick up 2-3 additional starts and 10-20 extra innings if needed.

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Just because a couple of owners made a few moronically unsustainable deals does not mean they are the baseline now. The Astros and their short reasonable contracts will smash those teams back to reality within a couple of years. The owners operate by majority rule. If losing to us does not resolve this a hard cap will be established long before MLB becomes the two or three team league at the end of this path.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  12. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

We traded for Verlander during the season…..

13. lnchan

Supporting Member

Never going to happen, but relegation could force the 'poor' owners to... um well compete by investing in their teams either in scouting, drafting, or free agency. Sugar Land could beat out the As this year. But in all seriousness, name a player on the Orioles pitching staff... but yet they have enough talent now to compete. Just signing a free agent pitcher isn't always going to be a better option on what is home grown... Trust the system.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

The Astros don’t need to add anything right now. Why not let things play out during the season and evaluate before the deadline? So much can and probably will happen by then.

This notion that the Astros still have all this money to spend, and Crane is being cheap is premature. The needs of this team may change as the season goes on and who knows what teams will be sellers at the deadline. No need to rush anything just so some of you can feel good right now. Your ladies must love how quickly you guys finish in the sack;)

15. Buck Turgidson

Now I know who never watched the Simpsons

RunninRaven and H-Town Info like this.
  16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I agree with your logic, but you're still asking a lot from players that haven't asked to carry that type of load.

I have confidence in Valdez, Javier, and Garcia. Javier will end up throwing more innings then before. There is always risks there.

McCullers is a huge unknown with his health. You can't rely on him. We don't know how well Brown will do.

But i do agree with your statement about being able to absorb it. I still think they should add an arm. Not just any arm as the other poster is trying to say that I'm suggesting, but i know he just wants to post stuff just to post.

17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

There’s plenty of money available too start extending these guys. 146 mil on the books next season (with ARB estimates) and Stanek, Maldonado, Brantley needing too be the ones re-signed/replaced), 88 mil in 2025 with Altuve, Bregman being re-signed and Pressly re-signed/replaced and 44.5 mil in 2026. Astros have been excellent extending guys under Crane and I don’t see it stopping. Tucker, Valdez, Javier extensions go a long way in extending the window.

18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

And? Do you remember the assets/farm system they had during 2017? Is their current farm system as strong as it was in 2017?

19. Major

Major Member

This assumes guys want to be extended. Tucker as a free agent in a few years could get a mega-contract as a 29 year old if he continues on his curent path.

Nook likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

All the prospects the Astros traded for Verlander were in A-ball. They included a low first rounder, a third rounted, and undrafted player. Are you suggesting the current farm system doesn't have players like this?