1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Oh no..not his power. If it gets sapped anymore he's gonna go into the negative.

At this point he's a singles hitter anyway. If it depresses the market a little great.

Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

And we want this guy?

3. Nook

Nook Member

From what I have seen it is a little more complicated than that, but if you know a lot about the subject I will defer to you.

4. Nook

Nook Member

He reminds of when the Astros signed Josh Reddick. He does enough to remain a starter, but he isn't going to carry you.

He is still a really good fielder, and with Tucker and McCormick/Meyers ..... the Astros defense would be one of the best in the league.

Offensively he is a tough out at the bottom of the line up.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just going by what the surgeons feel about this injury vs. those who decide to try and rehab.

I'll still take Brantley regardless. The fact that he's going on trips with the teammates is a pretty good sign that he'll be on the radar.

SWTsig and mikol13 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

If the price is right, I think Brantley is worth signing. I will say I am concerned about his ability to play LF

7. awc713

awc713 Member

I think Brantley is perfect for us. We want to play Yordan in ~45% of games. Brantley can play ~25-30% in LF and DH otherwise. Brantley is precisely the type of hitter that we like, he extends our lineup, and other teams hate that we keep getting hitters like him, plus he is cheap, obviously health permitting

travfrancis, prospecthugger and Nook like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep, but it always comes back between 6-18 months. So at worst his power will be back by 2024. I don’t want him, but I’m not worried too much about that particular injury.
    He obviously doesn’t have a lot of power in the first place.

#5208 Wulaw Horn, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    prospecthugger likes this.
  9. CinematicFusion

Astros have 35 million to spend before going over but Crane said he would go over with right conditions.

1. get Vasquez on a three year deal. 12 million per.
    2. Sign Brantley if healthy (maybe he comes back later in season) to a one year deal for 8 million with incentives, performance option for two years.
    3. Bring Yuli back for 7 million.
    4. Go after Carlos Rodon. 3 year contract for 25 million per, some sort of option year 4.

Spent 52 million.
    17 million over but addresses all our needs.
    You can never have too much pitching.

10. the shark

the shark Member

Nook, any insight on Brantley's shoulder and the damage compared to the first time he hurt it? The first surgery he missed practically the entire season. Also where he is right now with his recovery?

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

This does remind me of Reddick. Not sure what to think about that. Feels like settling, which might be the right move, but maybe it would be better to play McCormick and Yordan more in the field with Meyers as your 4th guy, and let the young guns have a crack at DH.

12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I like Brantley as a value play at DH/bench LF and think it would be wise to sign him now to a contract that begins upon a doctors release for him to begin play. Then relax a little. If something great falls in your lap grab it, if not you will be fine till the deadline.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

It's like me have holes everywhere, I am all for any upgrades, but they have to move the needle and not sacrifice the future like Brown.

Qan likes this.
  14. Screaming Fist

Guys create offensive value in different ways. Some guys put a ton of balls in play where each BIP has a modest amount of value. Some guys put fewer balls in play but provide more value for each BIP. Gallo happens to be on one end of that extreme.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok, that makes sense but it seems like a willful manipulation of fWar to make a point.

16. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

On your number 1 Vazquez already reqected Astros off because he wants to start not split time with MM.
    On number 4 Rodon is already on talks with Yankees. The are offering 5 years he wants 6 years 180mil. They are close and he hates the Astros. Please let Rodon to Astros die. It is not happening.

Landry's Tooth likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

They call him pass ball grandal...

There are better and cheaper options...

18. CinematicFusion

I’m good with that, sit Maldy. Start Vasquez

mikol13 likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

I think a centerfielder is the primary way to go... need defense first and something offensive... think Siri in the field and McCormick bat...

I think if Brantly is remotely healthy platooning him with McCormick in LF/DH is crazy smart:

Last full seasons:
    Brantley against righties: .363 / .418 / .507 / .924
    McCormick against lefties: .340 / .409 / .563 / .972

That's an elite bat that should hit behind Altuve.

A decent centerfielder allows us to bring along Lee and Diaz behind Maldonado...

20. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Any chance they go after kevin kiermaier and move McCormick to LF?