1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

"large one year offers" means offers to candidates looking to rebound- - so I'm assuming Conforto, Bellinger, Kluber, maybe Haniger? Who else could be on that list?

2. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Based on some of the things @Nook has said, as well as Crane’s actions (firing Click, signing Montero to keep the pen in tact, signing Abreu to stabilize and boost the offense)- it really seems like Crane is dead set on winning 2-3 more championships in the next few years. He wants the Astros to be known as a dynasty AFTER the 17’ stuff.

We have a lot to be thankful for as Astros fans. I’m not sure what will happen in the next week or so- but I’m damn proud that Crane is the owner of this team.

Take a look at the Royals for example, they won their ring and ownership was content. Pocketed their lucrative profits and let their core guys walk and started another rebuild. Obviously, we’re in a much bigger market here in Houston but ultimately ownership dictates how much money he/they choose to spend in fielding a competitive ball club.

One thing Crane has proven- he will not be complacent and he isn’t taking this window for granted. Compared to the other local sports teams in this city, I’m damn thankful for the Astros and Jim Crane.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Do you think we'll keep it under the tax now that JV went to the Mets? I'd like Contreras, Nimmo and Bassitt and each runs 20-25M AAV which would get us into the tax. But honestly, Nimmo and Bassitt are luxuries.

4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d wait and see where Tier 2 FA’s are at once Judge, the Four SS’s, JV, Rodon, Contreras are off the board and more teams payrolls get much tighter. Could be a steal with the likes of Nimmo, Benintendi, Bassitt, Eovaldi, etc

#1 Priority should be LH hitting OF/DH. Nimmo, Benintendi, Brantley, Conforto, Bellinger. I’m fine with any of them as there is a huge resurgence with the shift banned.

Another pitcher starter or reliever. Bassitt, Eovaldi, maybe Walker are the only three I’d say who could crack the back end of the rotation. Would not hurt keeping 7 starters on the roster. 3-4 relievers who might deserve a roster spot on a deep, deep, deep pen still around. I’m betting the QO and Bassitt wanting 4 yrs scares away 75% of the league off the bat.

Reserve IF’er. I like any of Yuli, Drury, Iglesias, Longoria, maybe Andrus..with so many quality FA SS’s.

Reserve Catcher
    I’m not sold on this as a need or an urgent need. And I’m certainly not tying years and money into the position with two stud catchers still developing. I’d still prefer Lee or Diaz gets half a season learning from Maldy and then make a decision at the deadline. I think Maldy retires an Astro. Players and coaching staff will no doubt push for it. Starter or backup.

I wouldn’t mind Narvaez, Vasquez or Barnhart on a small deal and I wouldn’t be surprised if atleast two of them are shopped at the deadline.

#3544 Mr.Pringles, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Marshall Bryant and punkoholic like this.
  5. HTown2017Champs

It's not official that JV has signed with NYM, but all signs point to that.
    Are y'all just throwing out Bassitt as a name, or is there legitimate interest? I've always loved the guy for his comments defending us, plus his toughness (that comebacker hurt bad, and he came back sooner than anyone expected).

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Bassitt covers a replacement Pitcher who happens to be ex Met for Pitching depth and a six pitcher rotation. He's one of the few affordable pitchers who could help this rotation. Plus I like his workhorse attitude giving innings under 3.5 ERA.

I group Javier, Valdez and Brown as all possible Cy young candidates. McCullers, Garcia and possibly Bassitt as middle rotation types and Urquidy as a fourth level starter. I can't imagine not needing more help than we needed last year.

#3546 Marshall Bryant, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

If he's added to the 6-man rotation, who is out? You would have a 7-man rotation again with Bassitt in the mix: Valdez, LMJ, Javier, Garcia, Urquidy, Brown ... Bassitt?

8. HTown2017Champs

Bassitt is better than Urquidy. Also, "you can never have too much pitching" - Crane, during a press conference. Could also buy time for Hunter Brown to further develop and acclimate, if that's what the team wants.

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like a pitcher should be a 1 or 2 year deal. We still have some arms coming and Brown needs 20+ starts

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

To be honest, I've heard speculation that Garcia might make a lights out reliever and try him there to find out. I think Seth once again bounces up and down as needed between AAA and MLB.

11. HTown2017Champs

Seth has certainly paid his dues in AAA and with the Big League club. He deserves to start collecting MLB service time.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Between Hunter an McCullers, I suspect we'll need our 7th starter. I don't know which Maton will show up either.

13. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Better example, the Cubs after 2016. The Rickkets just let the entire golden core walk after not bothering to bolster the roster much in free agency from 2017-2020. That's what bad ownership can do to a franchise with a national brand.

The day Crane sells the Astros will be a dark one in the city, gotta enjoy it while it lasts.

14. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I remember when Michael Brantley signed with the Blue Jays. Oh wait. So until it’s official that JV signs with Mets, I’ll take the rumors as just that.

bigbodymoe likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think we've had incrementally better ownership since Ford Motor Credit and GE foreclosed on Hofheinz. Those were the Astros darkest days.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I understand. The details seemed like the deal has been reached, but the lack of follow up confirmation makes it more suspicious by the minute. But it would have pushed the Mets to the newest tax penalty level.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I can't believe I'm still up. I'm usually about ready to start tomorrow by now.

Good night everyone.

Nook and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Where are you going? The day is just getting started over here in Europe. The sun never sets on Astros’ Empire. If GM Jim needs me to make some nighttime calls to JV or Contreras, I’m ready!

19. Screaming Fist

https://patrickbrennan33.wordpress.com/2022/11/28/quantifying-the-impact-of-the-shift-restrictions/

Maybe the best analysis I’ve seen thus far regarding the impact of the shift ban. Amazing to think Yordan might be one of the biggest beneficiaries with Tucker also up there as well.

An interesting point the article makes is that shift rates correlate pretty tightly with the degree to which the shift impairs a given hitter - teams today generally know what they are doing. I note that Benintendi was shifted in only 44% of PAs last season and it doesn’t look like there’s a big gain to be has there like with Alvarez and Tucker.

everyday eddie and robbie380 like this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I guess that's why they locked down Montero early for more than expected.