1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Derek Jeter makes 1 Highlight Play in the Postseason He wins Gold Gloves

mikol13 and The Beard like this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It's the absolute truth whether you believe it or not

Those awards are voted on by writers and the players. Over half the time it's a popularity contest. Or they go to guys who make flashy plays

MLB organizations give zero thought to those awards when evaluating players

Astrofan59, Bregatron and Wulaw Horn like this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And that is a routine ground ball that he leaves his feet for, jumps up and slings the ball to 1B where the 1B saves his ass.

He was a master of turning mundane plays into spectacular looking plays.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure they don't. it's literally never mentioned when looking at a player. a recognition with a ton of history just never gets any mention. yeah

and it's actually voted by the managers and coaches

bobrek likes this.
  5. Yordan The Great

While I agree with the sentiment of that last statement, that description is quite ludicrous. A middle of the road defensive shortstop? Sure. But your point is well taken, these things are given out like candy and undeservably so in a lot of situations, I think they are better at handing out the awards lately. Back in the day it was a comical farce.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

No. He was AWFUL. Not average. He may have had one or two average years in his career.

Wulaw Horn and juicystream like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Updated amounts I would offer each free agent target:
    C:
    Contreras $70M/4yrs
    Narvaez $40M/3yrs
    Vazquez $18M/2yrs
    Sanchez $18M/2yrs
    Barnhart $8M/1yr
    Alfaro $6M/1yr
    Zunino $6M/1yr
    Chirinos $1.75M/1yr Minor League deal

OF:
    Nimmo $70/4yrs
    Benintendi $64M/4yrs
    Bell $54M/3yrs
    Conforto $34M/2yrs
    Profar $34M/3yrs
    Haniger $22M/2yrs
    Bellinger $16M/1yr
    Brantley $12M/1yr
    Gallo $9M/1yr
    Peralta $7M/1yr
    Belt $6M/1yr
    Grossman $2M/1yr Minor League deal
    Duvall $2M/1yr Minor League deal

UT (would be signed with the understanding they’d only be given 100-200 pa barring injury)
    Frazier $7M/1yr
    Duffy $4M/1yr
    Gurriel $4M/1yr
    Diaz $3M/1yr
    Villar $1.75M/1yr Minor League deal

I would be pretty thrilled if Houston signed one player from each of those groups at or below the prices I have listed, obviously the higher up on the list the better.

#3127 Snake Diggit, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  8. Landry's Tooth

20 was a short year.

He's played a full season 3 out 5 years.

It's a factor but the medicals would resolve much of it.

9. mightybosstone

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm surprised there hasn't been any conversation about re-signing Vasquez as an option instead of spending a ton of Contreras. He didn't tear the cover off the ball in his short time in Houston, but it was a small sample size and he still showed he's a solid defensive catcher and a better offensive option at the plate than Maldy. Even with his poor hitting in Houston, for the season he was 30 points ahead of Maldy in terms of OPS+, and he's clearly superior defensively than Contreras.

I know Contreras is a much better overall player because of his bat, but you lose a pick and you block the progression of your young prospects by giving him the longer deal. Whereas if you give Vasquez something like the amount listed above, he comes at half the price in terms of AAV and for fewer years—that's a much better transitional solution between Maldy and Diaz/Lee. And then they could use the money leftover for a Benitendi type or for extensions for the stars who are going to need them in a couple of years.

If they whiff on Contreras, I really hope they'll consider Vasquez as an option. If it was up to me, I might consider that route anyway.

10. Yordan The Great

Joel Sherman on which big free agent is going to go first at the start of the winter meetings.

Sherman followed by saying that Verlander would be his first selection as well and wondered if the ace will ultimately remain with the Astros.

"I was going to say Verlander also as far as the first guy who signs," Sherman said. "I kind of again wonder if it's all a fake-out -- he's doing a tour and then he's just going to re-sign in Houston because I think that's where he's happy and comfortable."

https://www.mlb.com/news/justin-verlander-rumors?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Benintendi is a bad CF, but has great defensive numbers in LF.

Benintendi is a known quantity and a desirable LHB. $15M/year for a guy in his prime. I think he'll actually end up getting more, but if that deal was there, I would absolutely sign him for that.

12. Yordan The Great

Did you say $9 (pronounced nine dollars) for Gallo? Just checking.

13. Landry's Tooth

I know a lot of people like Leon but he's not as much upside as people think.

I think Barber, Melton, and Gilbert are their next legit of bats. Probably 2 years away.

Ideal would be a 3 year deal so there's overlap due to risk of injury, failure, etc.

Most decent free agents are looking at 4 years. So it's not a perfect fit. Trade market could make more sense or a short term deal for a kiermaier...

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In fairness to Dusty more than half of Dubon's starts were in CF which was very unsettled.

They view Chas as more of a corner guy and Meyers was just as bad or worse.

My hope is that this season is more like he should be used.

15. Landry's Tooth

Outside the box here...

A good buy low guy might be Trent Grisham... lefty bat and elite defensive centerfielder on par with Siri.

Hit an awful .184 this past year but usually a .250 hitter who draws walks.

He's a guy I would give up a prospect or two that isn't likely to play for us and let him compete for job.

Worst case is he plays 4th outfielder with some pop...

16. Major

Major Member

Vasquez said during the season that he intended to find a starting job somewhere, so that's why I think people have dismissed him.

The Beard likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

As an example I would do Hunter Brown for Grisham and Jackson Merrill who is probably their best prospect and likely blocked outside a dh role... could be an Altuve replacement down the line.

Doubt they do that though... they aren't desperate for pitching at the moment and Tatis is glass...

18. Yordan The Great

When Jeter grabbed his gold glove award it turned to Platinum. True story.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

If anything it's Leon's floor and average outcome that people are missing the boat on. The dude hit .228 at AAA; that does not portend good things. If he somehow got his BA into the .250 range at the ML level then he'd be a solid starting OF'er with upside. Up to .270 he's probably an all-star.

20. Yordan The Great

I love love love Martin Maldonado.

But for us to try to squeeze one more year out of him in lieu of signing a solid hitting catcher in the prime of his career who is not far removed from Maldonado as a defensive catcher and game caller, that's short sighted on our part. Vazquez could be our catcher for the next 4-5 years easily

Wulaw Horn likes this.