1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you on JV but if he walks I'm hoping for a really good left-handed bat.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah man I went down that road last week. Exact same discussion on value. Exact same deal with him calling me a clown and saying it was inconceivable that Rodon could be a better contract than JV going forward, complete with refusal to be any amount of money on any terms he wanted to, but complete with an insult to me. Clown

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The amount of totally uncivil discourse in this thread is really saddening considering we are all Astros fans, and there is more to be happy about as Astros fans these days than any other time in the team's history. That's not to say we don't argue about things like JV contracts, other free agents, etc. Just be civil as you go about it. We are all pulling for the same thing, here.

BHannes2BHonest, awc713, Kim and 6 others like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Kate pls relax bb

We still love you and JV

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah you should keep up with the posts too

6. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

You’re an insufferable prick and I wish you’d go back to the GARM.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

who are you again

8. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Someone who contributes to the site, joined 12 years before you, and has posted 40,000 fewer times. To a neutral third party to this inane exchange, that sounds like a pretty nice record.

awc713 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not that it matter because I expect both will be out of Astros price range for pitching....

Recent data matters a lot more regarding predicting future performance than data 4 years old.
    2022 was pretty close between JV and Rodon depending on how you value ERA (JV better) , xERA (toss up), and FIP/xFIP (Rodon better). I lean towards xERA.
    2021, Rodon was better because he was healthier.
    JV only has one season since MLB cracked down (though not well) on sticky stuff. JV was surgical last season, but his spin on his pitches was way down (i.e., they didn't move like they did 4 years ago.)

I don't know who will be better going forward, but I'd give Rodon a slight edge because I trust the 2 great years recently over 1 great year recently though with a Hall of Fame career. I see both as large risks with upside better than going after bats, but I feel like Astros are much safer going after bats.

On the cheaper, the early numbers I heard were Rodon slightly more for 2 more years, but a lot less money in 2023-2025. I think Astros should prioritze 2023-2025 years with trying to extend the window past 2025 as a secondary goal.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

awesome. is that supposed to be special?

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

If the Astros think they can fix him, I think he is worth a shot. Young MVP caliber players are worth a short term look. Bellinger signing with the Astros would mean he is coming to the team, cap in hand, in submission. There would be no clubhouse problem in this scenario.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Especially since Click never wanted to resign Yuli 2 years ago and didn't want him to play in the playoffs.

13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Here Here my fellow Astro fan.

If somebody bothers you that much try kindness or it least silence. If you can't find the strength for that you could try the feature that blocks you from seeing their posts altogether. The whole get a room stuff right here in the thread is boring and derails this forum from its greatness. Lets celebrate Astros greatness I've waited my entire life to own MLB and they Yankees. That's the enemy!

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

You must be new to the internet.

In the 2020's you can't ever be wrong or see the other side of an argument without thinking you are weak.

houstonstime likes this.
  15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Ignore Function is amazing. Never forget that.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I keep thinking if JV does not return, a small window opens for Judge for a longer contract, but a lower AAV.

What I can't figure out is how we would play him in our line-up. But it would be a nice problem to have.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Prefer Pedro Leon over Hensley for replacing Mauricio Dubón ... when Leon is ready during the next season.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  18. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Rumors (I know you don't trust them) Yankees offer is 8 years $300+ Crane not going near 8 years. I'd rather find away to trade for Trout.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But neither will happen lol

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Keep him in Right, move Tuck to Left, put Trout in Center. Judge would be a decent bat in the 7 or 8 spot.

Nook likes this.