1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. the shark

the shark Member

I like Contreras, but if signing him to a contract longer then two yrs keeps them from resigning Altuve and Bregman after ('24) and then Framber, Tuck and Javier after ('25) then I would pass.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3949761/2022/11/30/mlb-hot-stove-free-agent-fits/

Houston Astros — CF/DH/1B Cody Bellinger (1 year, $17 million plus a club option with a $3 million buyout)

The world champs have already signed José Abreu, so why not keep pushing the envelope and upgrade center field with Bellinger? Since his 2019 National League MVP season (47 home runs, 115 RBIs, 167 OPS+) Bellinger has not hit for average while struggling with injuries and making drastic mechanical changes. However, he’s only 27 years old and is a plus-plus defender in center field and at first base. If you put Bellinger with manager Dusty Baker and veteran players like Abreu, Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman and Yordan Alvarez, I bet he’ll find his way back. In addition, the new infield shift ban will help him. I also like how this signing would give the Astros more positional flexibility and lengthen their lineup

travfrancis and everyday eddie like this.
  3. Yordan The Great

Why the heck would we waste our time with a useless Dubon when we can choose Hensley and continue to try to develop him?

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

17 million...for Bellinger

[​IMG]

5. Yordan The Great

Bellinger is just gross.

Wulaw Horn, mikol13 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  6. Jeremy Williams

This is where i see things too. Dubon likely handles CF and RF. That leaves a decision to either try and let Yuli play the IF util role, or just go with Hensley. Im leaning Hensley.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Edit: I just read the post without reading the article or the link. I thought the Bellinger contract was news and not speculation.

Unless Astros can unlock what's gone wrong, Bellinger is purely a platoon bat against RHPs that hits RHPs worse than Chas has the past 2 years. This is a bold upside play that could give the Astros a star OF. If he plays like he has the past two years, I expect he'll still play a lot while better hitters are on the bench.

#2767 Joe Joe, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  8. CinematicFusion

He would be back up catcher and split time DH/LF with Alverez. Contreras has played an average of 120 games last two seasons.

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

[​IMG]

zeeshan2 likes this.
  10. Jeremy Williams

This is the part I would love about Contreras. It would allow for a bench of:

Brantley
    Lee (allowing him to develop)
    Dubon (unless he gets DFA'd for a resurgent Meyers)
    Hensley or Yuli (depending on whether we want to go vet or youth)

If it were Conforto, Nimmo, or another non-catcher, it would force us to bench two weak bat tool catchers:

Lee (allowing him to develop)
    Dubon (unless he gets DFA'd for a resurgent Meyers)
    Hensley or Yuli (depending on whether we want to go vet or youth)
    Veteran, cost-effective catcher only

It would also allow us to have a 1-9 with an OPS+ over 110 on days when Maldy sits.

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I believe they get Contreras. And Maldy is gonna teach teach teach as much as he can to him . This would be the ideal way to go. I think he gets 18m per. And a 5yr deal.

That said. It seems they are looking for a OFer who plays all OF positions. Nimmo, Benintendi and Bellinger fit that mold.

Conforto is risky and watching what Crane is saying he wants consistency.

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

With Brantley, I believe it comes down to if he is healthy and what is it going to cost?

He comes cheap like under 10m sure I can see him in Houston. But more idk?I know they love him. But how much love would that be at 15m +

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

@Nook ( or anyone else)

Have you heard anything about the team's interest in Brantley and a possible time frame? Health?

14. Jeremy Williams

McTaggart discussed him on High Heat yesterday. He is just beginning baseball activities. McTaggart restated what Crane said weeks ago: a Brantley decision is probably not made until February or March.

IdStrosfan and SKYGODZ187 like this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

They're waiting to see if his shoulder has healed and won't know until Feb/Mar. So They're not going to do anything until they know he's healed. Crane is on record saying this.

This is also his second surgery on his right shoulder. In 2016 (the first surgery) he played 11 games and then missed the rest of the season. Don't know how extensive the damage is this time, but before they try to resign him they better feel confident that he's healed and can contribute next season (even if it's not until the summer).

H-Town Info and IdStrosfan like this.
  16. Screaming Fist

I don't get why a contender would even bother with Bellinger as more likely than not the guy is just going to be an expensive waste of a roster spot. He would be a good addition for a team not looking to compete but hoping he regains his former productivity so they can flip him.

Major and Madmanmetz like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would he not be expensive for a non-competing team?

Really it would be a contending team that could not only afford him but also afford to have him fail as he's likely not vital to success.

But if he regains form... won't be hard for him to outplay his contract.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree, I want a vasquez, realmuto, option. Good defense, calls a great game, hits great. If that isn’t an option, I feel like I’ll lean more towards the defense/ game calling (maldy) than the offense (contreras) because it’s our 9 spot and pitching is more important.

however, is game calling kinda like we view gurriel’s pick ability? Like maldy and yuli are really good at them, but the drop off to someone way better offensively is not that noticeable or the skill doesn’t actually matter as much? Because I feel like they matter. Don’t want breggy and Peña suddenly worrying that their throws are going to need to be perfect, or framber and Javier getting in their own heads when things aren’t going well.

not to mention, in his sliders, contreras was in the blue 40 percentile on pitch framing? That’s going to be key keeping framber on the edges etc…

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

But what is maldy’s K rate? Would like an apples to apples comparison.. also surprised by conforto.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking he would fit with a fringe contender that needs some luck to fall their way to be a true contender. Someone that has holes and his defense will help even if his bat doesn't return, but that the bat would really help if it returns.

I don't see him as a good fit with the Astros as the Astros have options that are likely better if his bat doesn't return.

Major and Nick like this.