1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

Are you saying this didn't CLICK with you? ;)

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He may want to go back to Detroit to raise his daughter...

[​IMG]

3. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I think it would be more useful to use some of that money that would go to Verlander to buy out a couple years of Framber and Javier's free agency years. That would require paying those two quite a bit of money over the next two years that they otherwise would not get. I only see this happening if Verlander does not re-sign.

Tuckmose likes this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I don't disagree at all, i'm just saying that I doubt Vasquez wants to come back if he doesn't know he will play regularly, and after the trade here to Houston he did not

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

@Nook @Snake Diggit @Redfish81 I would love to hear yalls opinions on Click only getting a one year deal. Why would he even take a one year deal? Was Crane trying to run him off? Just seems weird

EDIT: PLOT TWIST

#245 Htown Legend, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    mikol13 likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Stockipiling assets and building the foundation happens during peace time.

War requires action/reaction.

do you think the 2017 Astros make it and win the WS without JV (if Luhnow basically did nothing?).

again, I didn’t criticize Click for his lack of action this deadline. I thought his moves were fine. Could they maybe have been better? Who knows. I agree that he can’t really mess with a winner. But I disagree that 2017 was a slam dunk with zero moves.

7. Qan

Qan Member

Why would Click even agree to 1 year? I can understand Dusty...but not Click. Weird.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Already ordered 2.

the shark likes this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He is disarmingly awkward like me. He gave brutal honesty... and you can learn from someone's actions in how much he studies the game.

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's pretty self-explanatory. Typically a World Series winning GM is going to get a fat raise and a multiyear extension. Crane doesn't love the decision making with Click. At the same time he doesn't want the bad press of just letting the guy go. So he makes an extremely team friendly contract offer that Click should probably turn down. Smells a lot like the Correa deal.

11. astroa89

astroa89 Member

According to what ive been hearing on 790 there was a deal in place at the deadline to trade Urquidy for Contreras. That was apparently nixed by the owner at the last second. How do y'all see this power dynamic working out with the GM returning and how he works with Crane? It seems to me they may have different philosophies and want to handle operations for the organization differently.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I have no insight into this. Obviously very strange to leave Click as a lame duck this long and then only offer 1 year and then to not have messaging aligned. It could be either or both sides have other irons in the fire.

To me this is more damaging to Crane than Click. Can’t imagine any super talented GM candidate not having serious reservations about working for him after seeing this situation.

jiggyfly, gatsby, whiskeyred and 2 others like this.
  13. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Get ready for the David Stearns era.

arif1127 and Htown Legend like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How sought after was Click before he was hired? Hell, how sought after was Luhnow before he was hired?

You overestimate what it takes to get a “talented” GM. Any head of player development or assistant GM would kill for this job.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

16. Elienator

Elienator Member

If Verlander is willing to do a 2 year deal (or three with some sort of performance based option), I think he will be back. I don’t think the money will be the issue, and I get the feeling he’s the one player Crane would go over the tax for a year or two for.

I don’t see both Brantley and Yuli coming back, but one of them seems likely. I’ll bet in Brantley since he’s likely the better hitter at this point and I think the Astros will be able to find an upgrade at first easier.

I’m fine with Click coming back if he wants to take a one year offer. He’s put together a great bullpen the last two years. I’m glad the Astros keep Urquidy knowing what happened, but if the Astros got Contreras and he played well on the way to a World Series, people would have praised it as an aggressive win-now move. It’s sometimes good to have a group of people with different viewpoints at work, but everything reported doesn’t seem healthy. My guess is Click is judging his other options and if he can find something as a stop gap until another gm role opens up.

J_Hunter_1977 and megastahr like this.
  17. HTown2017Champs

Per Heyman, Astros in talks with Willson Contreras. He also reports the market for him should be strong.

Personally, I'd re-sign JV, bring back Brantley for one year, and trade for Danny Jansen. I'm assuming Maldonado comes back until I hear otherwise.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  18. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

19. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Danny Jansen would be a great fit here. Under team control for another 3 seasons. Good complement to Maldy as a hitting catcher and could play a little DH too.

20. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Has Verlander actually opted out yet?