1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Jeremy Williams

I
    If it's not put to the test, Yuli won't be an Astro next year.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Sadly, Altuve hit zero home runs in his three minutes. Got bounced from the competition by local player Diego Rincones who hit one HR and stopped.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I would be good with re-signing Brantley and signing Conforto as DH/LF options on cheap deals. Re-sign Yuli for bench role and play utility along with Hensley. Role with Chas at CF and have Leon compete for his spot sometime during the season. See what you got with Korey Lee as the backup catcher. Good mix of veteren experience and young potential. We have a lot of margin for error with the strength of the pitching staff and a top/middle heavy line-up.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  4. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

That's too many left fielders. Yordan is going to be playing out there too. You can't sign Brantley and Conforto both.

astros123 and No Worries like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

If they hadn’t been able to sign Abreu, I would possibly disagree with you… but with Abreu added, I think the Astros should avoid Contreras unless they plan to not have him start 60% of the games… and I don’t see that with Abreu at 1st.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Brantley is the Astros back up plan I believe. It’s really hard to figure out what is a fair contract… his power is gone, he doesn’t play the field well, he is older and coming off an injury - but he is still a lefty that can hit a baseball in his sleep.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Supposedly Conforto wants a two year deal with the second season a player option. Not sure the Astros would roll the dice and do that. Boras isn’t afraid to wait, so let’s see what happens.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

In my mind, if we needed a SS replacement for injury or something it would be Bregman with Yuli at 3rd.

9. No Worries

No Worries Member

Some of the FAs getting mentioned as Astros possibilities might have been Plan B if Jose Abreu did not sign.

#2469 No Worries, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Trust all things through Jesus H. Christ. @Nook

Nook likes this.
  11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I believe Nimmo might be an Astro soon along for Alfaro

12. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

If we resign Verlander this is the perfect off season.

awc713 and CisBuds4U like this.
  13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

We could be in a Brantley or Yuli but not both spot. Neither of them seem like up the middle guys off the bench.

14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

On this team he is basically a bench bat. not sure he is willing to play that role or for that money.

Nook likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Basically zero chance of that, he wants WAY too much money and the Astros have too much talent at the position.

javal_lon likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would say platoon bat.

I think he could start 60% of games with 2/3 - 3/4 of those being at DH.

Chas, Meyers, or Leon start the other 40%

17. Nook

Nook Member

Keep your eyes on the Mariners. Kirby and Castillo and Ray is a very high upside top of the rotation.

They already added one really good outfield bat and intend to add another high level bat.

Snake Diggit and Marteen like this.
  18. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Yeah they are becoming more formidable for sure, glad we upgraded the lineup with Abreu. Also Alvarez says hi to both Castillo and Ray.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Told the Astros are looking at possible platoon type bats that can play some center and hit righties well. They like Chas against left handed pitching.

Part of the reason they have checked on Benentendi, is to see his openness to playing some center in switches as well as getting at bats at while playing the corners… similar reason they have interest in Happ.

It’s not the only reason, but it allows them to really craft the line up against the opposing pitcher.

Happ and Benintendi both hit righties and Chas hits lefties well.

IDK- just passing on that it is something they have looked at.

Abreu is someone they value because he hits both lefties and righties.

They are looking at utility players that can hit well against both lefties and righties.

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought Benitendi just wasn’t a good centerfielder… like Tucker, elite in his corner spot but average at best in center. I can’t see MMP being a great fit for him, but I guess for 20-49 games when matchups dictate it’s fine.

I guess that’s the Bellinger rationale too.