1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pretty sure Alfaro was non-tendered so he’s a free agent.

Nook likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Given the strength of this team in young pitchers (one with a history of being a bit of a mental headcase), this part seems like a nonstarter to me. The lineup can afford to have a crappy bat at catcher if it pays off in improving all of our pitchers. I love that Maldy sets an expectation of how much preparation should go into pitching and I suspect/hope that would rub off on the pitchers and make them all better in their own preparation.

This is one of those areas where you just don't mess with a good thing.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am not necessarily down on Lee or Diaz (or Meyers for that matter). I think they have a good chance to be decent everyday players and an outside shot to be core/star players. But there’s not much reason to gift them a spot; doesn’t hurt anything to stash them in AAA until they make it clear they are fully developed (or in Meyers case, healthy). And since Houston is signing guys to short deals (3 years or less) there isn’t much risk in blocking guys. Abreu gives Diaz a couple years to have his offensive profile fully mature. Alfaro for 1-2 years would do the same for Lee (or Diaz). A short deal for a LF gives Meyers or Leon or another prospect time to claim a core spot.

None of those guys are at the spot that Correa or Bregman or Tucker or Yordan were at where you know they’re ready and you make room for them…yet.

Nook and Jeremy Williams like this.
  4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I'm thinking we are gonna resign Brantley to come off the bench. For some reason not an everyday starter but off the bench cycling our RF and LF and DH.

I could see Benintendi and Contreras signed both and letting Verlander kick rocks.
    Crane wants to repeat and said he is willing to go into the luxury

5. Rockets34Legend

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

But why would he post this like 45 mins ago?

7. BMoney

BMoney Member

It could be more about signing with the Reds.

No Worries likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The team still needs a LH bat.

I don't think Contreras makes sense anymore. I think that after signing a LH bat (which I think should be Brantley due to history/chemistry as well as lack of options) there won't be money for another $15M+ AAV hitter.

I need to look at young cheap LH bats available in trade. This could be how the Astros fill the spot if JV returns.

The more I read, the more I am convinced the Astros think Yuli can be a utility player similar to Diaz of the last few years.

I think if he does not expect to find a starting position and will sign for less than last year he would be a good choice.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Benintendi, Conforto, and Brantley in that order for me. If we get Conforto I'd want to sit him against lefties in favor of McCormick. It would be a great platoon with their lefty righty splits.

Nook likes this.
  10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'm all for re-signing Yuli at the right price- but I think Hensley may be the utility replacement for Diaz. Small Sample size and all, they should give him a shot going into Spring Training -- Yuli will still command a decent salary -- and I bet he will be shopping around for a starting role. The guy was money in the playoffs -- a team will value that and maybe take a flyer on him as a starter.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Agreed on all points.

And if Hensley is the new Diaz I will be stoked.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  12. Marteen

Marteen Member

Altuve and other Venezuelan stars are in a home run derby. It's underway.

Notable Venezuelan stars that are here: Acuna, Altuve, Torres, both Contreras brothers, Suarez, etc.

13. Jeremy Williams

I dont think the Astros believe Hensley can play all 4 IF positions.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

How come I haven't heard anything about David Peralta?

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Neither can Yuli -- but Hensley can play 2nd, SS, and 3B - I think 1B too? Also, I don't think we bring back Diaz -- he'll want $5-$7M - i'd rather look internal and bring back Yuli, and/or ride with Hensley/Y Diaz for infield bench depth.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hensley played at least 18 games at all 4 positions this season in AAA (plus 6 games in LF). Having watched him several times, it’s pretty clear he’s at least playable at all 4 in a utility/backup capacity. I don’t think he would be great as an everyday SS, but he can play there.

Bregatron and Jeremy Williams like this.
  17. Jeremy Williams

Crane indicated they believe Yuli can cover all 4.

18. Nick

Nick Member

Did any of those above players have a slow/steady decline? Or did they get a Cy Young award in your 40’s, lead the league in strikeouts in your 40’s, lead the league in saves in your 40’s, or win a CYA at age 39 the first year after TJ surgery.

You’re speaking in generalities. There are specific isolated examples of guys who have special arms till the end. We just saw what JV did in his first year where there were restrictions after TJ surgery. His arm is obviously not just a run of the mill players.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  19. Screaming Fist

I wouldn’t put it to the test.

Wulaw Horn and Jeremy Williams like this.
  20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Yuli at short sounds like a disaster waiting to happen -- Hensley seemed decent at short before, IDK -- I'm not really feeling Diaz at a big salary (for a bench player) with all his injury concerns

Screaming Fist likes this.