1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Walker in my opinion would be a worthwhile player to pursue. Varsho not so much. The Astros outfield depth is more than adequate For 2023 and well beyond.
    2023 Internal Options Outfield (from my Spring training list)
    Tucker
    Leon
    McCormick
    Alvarez
    Meyers
    Dirden
    2023 Internal Options First Base (from my Spring training list)
    Perez
    Wagner
    Schriber
    Matijevic
    Diaz 1st base/3rd catcher
    Lee catcher/1st base
    Hensley bench IF/1st base
    Julks bench IF/1st base

2. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Bregman had the highest OOA of any third baseman in MLB. There is no way that his dWAR could be 0.0. Something is wrong there.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm using Baseball Reference and double checked it. Under Player Value.
    2022 War 4.5, oWAR 5.0, dWAR 0.0.

But any spreadsheet can have an input error. I show OAA fifth (8 OAA), but it still doesn't match up. I m showing Hayes Number 1 (18 OAA) at 3B which matches up with a 3.0 dWAR.

Interestingly, Walker,who has also been mentioned, has the highest OAA at 1B with 14 OAA which is the neighborhood I would expect from Bregman there.

Get them both, move Altuve to DH and correct the presumed error with Bregman's dWAR and we'd have a defense for the ages.

If the error is confirmed, then moving Hayes to 2B and Walker to 1B works.

1B Walker
    2B Hayes
    3B Bregman
    SS Pena

#2283 Marshall Bryant, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I see with not much action in the offseason this thread is going off the rails again....

Hayes signed an 8 year extension which has 7 years plus an option left.

Jim Crane doesn't do 7 year deals. Until Crane signs Tucker or Pena to a deal longer than 6 years stop wasting time with trades that involve a mega long contract coming to the Astros.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They are showing Machado at 0.0 dWAR also and he's in 4th place of OAA. It's looking like a spreadsheet error.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He's locked in at about 12M AAV. The investment is far less at that cost.

As far as going off the rails, this is outside the box speculation. I realize some are not comfortable with that. But I speculated about Greinke on the old MLB.com message board a month before it happened.

7. Buck Turgidson

Well ****, hire this guy as GM

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Bagwell was a bat first prospect for a team that had very few established major leaguers, but a gold glove calibur veteran 3B happened to be one of them

Oh yeah on a team that would challenge for 100 losses.

Not exactly a comparable situation to Bregman.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

No way. Just noting outside the box thinking occasionally happens in real life by real GMs and real owners. Batting averages are really low for this type of speculation. But they are not ZERO.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Nothing is an exact fit. But it worked out well. Did Bagwell fall apart because he moved to 1B? Or did he prosper? I do know he worked hard to become the best he could be here. But anyway, if the dWAR stats are wrong about Bregman's defensive fall at 3B, then the point is moot anyway. I know the eye test (which can be deceiving) doesn't indicate a fall off. I just don't want to be lulled into turning him into an Astro's Jeter where the eye test contradicts objective stats. Or pull a Yankee and start your best SS at 3B because of an undeserved reputation.

#2290 Marshall Bryant, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Why the hell would Pittsburgh even consider moving Hayes? He is just starting his years of control and has huge upside. He is EXACTLY the kind of player they would be looking to acquire

jiggyfly and texans1095 like this.
  12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think Crane would take that contract on in a heartbeat. Crane doesn’t do big large 8 year deals, but a deal that buys out control years and adds two on top would be very desirable

Takes two teams to deal though and he might be at the top of the list of guys Pitt wouldn’t move along with Cruz

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  13. Jeremy Williams

If Crane thought this way he would be locking up Peña already. It’s not the Astros philosophy.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If you have the opportunity to lock up a player for 8 years for $100M and you would be willing to lock them up at 6 years for $100M, why would the 2 years be a detriment? It's not the years alone, it is the package price. What they aren't willing to do is pay FA price over ARB years.

For instance, Tucker is expected to receive $30M over the next 3 years of arbitration. Assume for purposes of illustration his on-field value if a FA is $35M annually. Then an acceptable package would be $30M plus 3x $35M or 6 years $135M. But 6 years $210M would be an overpay because of his Arbitration years. That is what the Astros will not do.

Wulaw Horn and BlindHog like this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You are right. Bagwell did not fall apart but my points are:

1) the Astros at the time had several open positions on the roster and no expectations to win. Therefore no pressure or downside to experimenting.

2) the Astros at the time had a young established, controllable 3B that was gold glove calibur so Bagwell was blocked. He had to move or go back to the minors. Bregman is certainly not blocked lol.

Also, as a 1B Bregman would make significantly less in free agency. He only has 2 years left on his current contract, so it would hurt him personally and be the kind of move that really pisses players off about the Astros as an organization.

FYI: mlb.com just named the best defenders in 2022 by OOA.

Bregman was the best 3B in the AL according to the story.

#2295 IdStrosfan, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    BlindHog and Marshall Bryant like this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm not suggesting the price would not be steep. Just that it is something that could improve the Astros by trade that is not mentioned. In this case, you would have to see if several players with minimal MLB experience or MLB ready prospects which may advance their rebuild schedule would be of interest to them or not. And even if so, would that cost be acceptable enough for both parties to agree.

Most people seem to think that putting forth possibilities is a recommendation to take action. It is not.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Thanks. I was using Baseball Prospectus. All these sights tend to use different methodologies to attempt to get to their idea of the perfect tool. But after seeing two players near or at the top of OAA with a 0.0 dWAR from Baseball Reference, I suspect a data entry error. I haven't figured out how to navigate the BP site to see their pWAR for Bregman and Machado.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I tried to get the article and it brought me back to Statcast/Baseball Savant 5th place OAA,

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Link please. I have looked and still cannot find it.

20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

What the player gains in a buy out of Arb years is the security of a guaranteed contract vs the year to year nature of arbitration. With that understanding the player is willing to accept a lower AAV for the certainty of guaranteed payment over a longer period of time. An injury or a bad year is a big concern for a young player especially when his future value is relatively unknown. The earlier the buyout the more risk the team is taking on and a lower the expected AAV should also be.

jiggyfly and The Beard like this.