1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The algorithm just determines what combination and amounts of the actual stats to use.

It's like saying 100 is a made up number because it is the sum of 25, 35, and 40.

2. Landry's Tooth

Not saying it doesn't happen. The cards gave up Martinez and Arozarena for Libatore.

Just saying most teams that have a successful young player under club control only deal them for established stars (like Verdugo for Betts) or as a cost cutting measure in arbitration.

Occasionally you get an embalance of talent in the system versus the roster. For example the cards traded Tatis to make room for Pujols.

I just think those are less common.

If it's Javier going or Pena I would need 2 top 25 prospects who can play right away.

I just think that's market. 1 great prospect and a soso or good toss in doesn't do it for me. If you hit on one of the two you are no better off except for reallocation of talent to other positions. For a move done as a 3 to 5 year move doing deals based on positions isn't as reliable...

3. Landry's Tooth

That's a poor analogy because you are choosing which numbers. That's what makes it made up. It's mixing numbers in a way subjective to people.

I understand the concept of war but I think it's vastly overrated because of the processing to get to it.

The further you move from simple observable data the easier to manipulate results by human touch.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

..... that's the underpinning of any valuation in a market- based system. Organizations have their own valuations which are based on their own subjective biases and data. They make trades expecting to get more value back than they give out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Lol. Sorry to everyone else watching; tapping out of this conversation point now.

Nook likes this.
  5. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

It has been enjoyable seeing him cut few down at the plate for sure. OK, Try 2/3 for 2023. See how he holds up. Who knows. He could be a machine. Just don’t want a glass doll situation. Also if he hits better when playing in the field (I didn’t really look up those stats) then yes I can see playing him in order to get a more consistent bat.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What would be the cost of Yandy Diaz

7. Landry's Tooth

Not saying the numbers are worthless... they can be useful making subjective decisions.

Just saying I personally don't value them as much as say OPS on the road over a sample of parks. The math is more clear and less subjective...

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That was more of a thing earlier in the season but it evened out over time.

1.035 OPS as DH
    1.003 OPS as LF

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rays tendered Diaz (arbitration eligible) for around 5.5 million.

He'd have to be acquired via trade

raining threes and Nook like this.
  10. Radricky

Radricky Member

Big fat no to Yordan playing over 100 games in the field.
    Dude has had surgeries on both knees and is constantly having hand issues.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

We can just agree to disagree on our own personal idea of what makes a number " made up:

But we can agree to being Astros fans.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

He has not had knee issues in 2 seasons despite gradually increasing his time in the outfield.

I can't see how playing the outfield effects his hands?

That said, about 100 games is what I would expect also.

13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I kinda want us to get Happ or Benintendi.
    Badly
    Thinking that would be the way to go

houstonstime likes this.
  14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

wouldn’t expect much as he’s 31 and hasn’t had a huge season. That said I’d rather sign Abreu and hold onto as many potential gold prospects too fill future holes (either on the field or via trade)

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I want Conforto. I think he might be sneakily cheaper because he’s coming off injury.. maybe I’m wrong on the cheaper part, but if he can get back to form, that would be nice.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

And the A’s wouldn’t be all that interested in Garcia, they would want the headliner to be someone with more control

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Let me deviate a bit from wish lists.

Has anybody heard whether Alvarez's hand issue will require surgery or rest? Who is our in house option to replace Gurriel at 1B and Vasquez at Catcher 2? Is Hensley effectively our replacement for A Diaz or will he be given a shot at 1B? Is there room for both Hensley and Dubon on the bench?

We have to think of Astros Free agents as JUST Free Agents now. But wish lists aside, what do we look like right now?

18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Happ's not a FA and would be kinda pricey trade wise at this point. The price may come down at the trade deadline.

IMHO, Benintendi's not a great fit. Certainly a solid player but I don't see the need to give a 3+ year FA deal and/or solidify the LF position that much. E.g. the guy's a gold glove LFer, you gotta play him there every day or you're wasting part of his value. Yordan seems to like getting LF time, though as many people have said couldn't play it full-time.

Brantley pre-injury was kinda perfect to time-share both LF and DH with Yordan. Maybe they try to bring Brantley back. Maybe they go after Conforto on a short deal.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It sounds like he's just riskier and NOT cheaper.

20. ktex

ktex Member

His hands must be fine. There would have been surgery news by now for sure.

IBTL and Marshall Bryant like this.