1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

Correct.

Once we get to the level of what thoughts are in a person's head, you've lost me. And you should not have a vote and a say in the matter.

And conversely we would never hear of such a thing if the person had wildly progressive liberal viewpoints. That just isn't a thing, it only goes one way.

2. Yordan The Great

At least you can make an argument in the Pete Rose case yay or nay, although I'm for him being in.

But ultimately Pete Rose made his own bed. He chose a path that was burning a bridge forever.

raining threes likes this.
  3. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Agreed Happ would be nice but at the cost of Urquidy? I don't think I do that, especially if Verlander is NOT coming back. If he is, I'd consider it. Do teams still do sign and trades? Maybe a creative multi-player deal gets it done. Also, do you see Happ playing primarily in LF or CF? And/or moving Chas to 4th outfielder position ?

4. Yordan The Great

They'll listen eventually.

Nook likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would not want Houston to trade Urquidy straight up for Happ. But they actually have pretty good farm depth so if they threw in an interesting prospect (Kevin Made?) it would probably be a fair deal.

astros123, prospecthugger and Nook like this.
  6. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Boston writers writing about dysfunction? Guess they should know.

7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Id rather keep JV, but im not sure how much the Astros can add on if they signed either guy. a SP is a luxury with the depth the Astros have in place and there is glaring needs at 1B, and someone to fill a spot in LF/CF/DH and a reserve IF'er.

Valdez, Javier, Garcia, McCullers, etc probably never develop into the pitchers they've become without some conversations, help that a guy like JV can provide.

everyday eddie and Madmanmetz like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

SP is never a "luxury".

They have a better chance of repeating with JV than without him.

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Astros arent trading Urquidy umless they sign another SP. Maybe two, really need atleast seven proven starters too get through a season.

10. Nook

Nook Member

This is how I feel too. I suppose if they resign Verlander, they can make the argument that they can address a weakness at relatively little financial risk (Happ $10.6 million) and lose some pitching depth (Urquidy 3.5 million). That is also assuming they are going to keep Brown in the bullpen next year.

So, I guess you address your LF and lefty bat issue and can also slide him into center from time to time. He only helps the defense, he also can run the bases decently. He does strike out a lot though, but still gets you a .330-340% OBP.

That basically leaves just first base to address, and they may go with Yuli or perhaps still try to get Abreu in that situation.

Adding Abreu or Bell to Happ and Verlander and Montero would be an excellent off season for the Astros.

11. Nook

Nook Member

They almost traded him last year.

If they sign Verlander, they can move Urquidy or Garcia.....

They would have

Verlander
    Valdez
    Javier
    McCullers
    Garcia
    Brown

They also have some guys on the farm capable of spot starting and will likely add another low-cost free agent starter for insurance.

At the end of the day the key is balancing the cost of free agents, trading existing depth and relying on help from the farm system.

raining threes and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Astros sign anyone major yet? I'm waiting.

IowaAstro and raining threes like this.
  13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Montero

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yawn. I know.

15. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

you said the same thing as i said. they sign JV they can move a SP. They almost traded him last season when he was the Astros best starter going until Dusty and Crane said no to Click. They also had seven starters and opted too move Odorizzi instead and bring up Brown.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

In Nook, we trust.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Rodon at 5/120 would be a done deal tomorrow for me. That’s only 24M and I think I trust him more than JV in the playoffs. We can baby him with the 6 man rotation until we get there.
    Sign Contreras and Abreu and call it a day with Rodon.
    That’s 70M (Rodon, Montero, Contreras and Abreu) a year incoming and 25 (JV) 3 (Montero) 16 (Brantley) 6 (Yuli) 5 (Castro) 5 ( A Diaz) outgoing from last years opening day 26 man roster for a net of +10M. We were something like 40M under the tax line last year to start- so that means all our raises would have to come to 50M or less to stay below the threshold.
    Yordan- +18, Tucker +7, Framber +6, Stanek +2, Maton (gag) +2, Dubon +1, Javier +5, Urquidy +3. That’s 44M in raises and arbitration. Did I forget anyone? That should work.
    New roster:
    Framber, Rodon, Javier, LMJ, Garcia, Urquidy, Brown, Neris, Abreu, Stanek, Maton, Presley, Montero
    Maldy, Contreras, Abreu, Altuve, Peña, Bregman, Hensley, Yordan, Chas, Tucker, Meyers, Dubon, Y Diaz.
    Contreras catches 50 games, Diaz catches 15 or 20 and they split DH duties 100 for Contreras 50 for Diaz.
    That team is a lot better than the one that just won the World Series. Still below the tax line.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently rodon who has done and achieved next to nothing in the majors is now more trustworthy than JV. It's a disgrace how underappreciated he is by folks like you. Rodon isn't even close to worth that much money. what a joke

[​IMG]

Mr.Pringles likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

His 178 IP was a career high?

In 8 years only over 140 IP twice? The last time 6 years ago?

No thank you.

If he was an Astro you work with that and baby him along with a 6 man rotation.

You don't mess with chemistry by replacing a guy with those numbers.and 5 year commitment? Over $100 million?

Hahahahahahaha

20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What about a Urquidy and Maton for Happ and a high Prospect?