1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I don't care if Curt Schilling is an *******.... there is no reason for him not to be in the Hall of Fame. Yes, he was an exceptional post season pitcher.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He said up through the LCS...pay attention. :)

Yordan The Great and Nook like this.
  3. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Any team that gives a big contract to Trea Turner will regret it. Dude's game relies on out of zone contact and speed which fall off a cliff after age 30, what really doesn't help is that he doesn't play defense either. And unlike a guy who had a similar profile at the same age, Jose Altuve, he's swinging at more pitches out of the zone than ever in his career, while Jose's cut down on the wild swings over the last few years. We're very lucky to have our SS resolved for the next 5 years. Turner smells like a future Phillie to me.

Correa is the only SS in this market I'd give an 8+ year contract to. All his value comes from defense and at the bat, not on the basepaths. His arm is good enough to play 3rd when his range diminishes with age.

Judge actually has pretty good plate discipline all things considered. He only strikes out at a league average rate and only bites on 26% of pitches out of the zone, which is slightly below Yordan Alvarez at 27%. His game should age really well, even if limited to a DH role.

Brandon Nimmo gets on base and rarely strikes out, this year was an abberation when it comes to his walk rate, if he can get that back up while keeping the strikeouts down (only 17% K rate), I can see him staying effective even as his defense and speed declines.

The Giants would be smart to keep Rodon, he only lead the majors in FIP last year. A better's choice for Cy Young if he moves to a team with better defense.

Degrom can't stay healthy and he's 35 next season. Stay Away.

The Dodgers might be the only team that will give Verlander a 4th year, they can just eat the last two years if he breaks down.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I would avoid direct baseball questions. You wouldn't want him to get in trouble with tampering charges if he doesn't have permission while under contract.

raining threes and franchise403 like this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The estimated contract for Rodon is 5 years 120 million. I would much rather do that than give Verlander 120 for 3 years. Our rotation and depth would be sick!!!!

Valdez
    Javier
    Rodon
    McCullers
    Brown
    Garcia
    Urquidy

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Might be the smarter baseball move, though Rodon has never thrown 180 innings, which is a red flag for a 5 year deal and a history of wearing down. But smarter move be damned, I'd rather keep Verlander, though 3 years $120M is too steep a contract, IMO. I'm hopeful that teams having the option between Verlander and DeGrom keeps anybody from throwing out a Scherzer offer.

raining threes likes this.
  7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Mo Rivera was 8 - 1 with a 0.70 era and 42 saves in 141 postseason innings. 5 WS rings, WS (and LCS) MVP, and batters still couldn't touch his cutter at the age of 42. I don't really think there's much argument about greatest pitcher (no one specified starter) in postseason history.

Jeremy Williams, Nook and juicystream like this.
  8. juicystream

Yep. He should be in the HOF. I don't mind there being a character clause, but there are a bunch of bigots in the HOF already. I think it should be more so about the character they have within baseball than outside of it. If you want to punish great players for character, I'd much rather just see them denied their ceremony and give them a faceless plaque. Remembered but not celebrated.

9. juicystream

He did lose the 2001 WS....

But yeah, Rivera is the only closer that I think truly belongs in the HOF. He's so far ahead of any other reliever in MLB history. Also one of those things about why stealing signs probably wasn't as helpful as people made it out to be. You can't hit great pitches even when you know its coming.

raining threes likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

120 over 5 is a McCullers type contract and McCullers has been even worse from an injury standpoint.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

There was a time when I really wanted Rodon No. 1 overall. The he floundered a bit, then succeeded…certainly a name not many have brought up with our arms depth…but would be an interesting add if we K elsewhere on the market.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Cue James Carville on Old School Gif- I have nothing more to say, this is a perfect answer.

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Rodon would do well here with the 6 man rotation and maybe swinging it where he only has to pitch one time a week for 6 innings.

14. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

#2094 J_Hunter_1977, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

A lot of talk about the Astros adding a left handed hitting corner OF. Brantley is an obvious name, though word is, teams (including us) want to wait until we’re closer to Spring Training to she how his shoulder feels (a real issue, TBH). The more I think about Benintendi, the more I like him. Puts the ball in play, great defense. And while he doesn’t hit for much power, I think he’d be about a 15 homers a year hitter as an Astro given the favorable dimensions.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with this, Benintendi makes good sense for Houston going back to before this years deadline. Happ as a trade candidate also has made sense.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  17. raining threes

This is hilarious.

Players want to play for winners and get paid.

If Crane can do these things Crawford will be a FA destination.

Wulaw Horn, Nook and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  18. juicystream

Lance's deal is 5 years for $85M. That is not close to $120M. And LMJ has at least proven himself in the postseason.

Bregatron and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have discussed an Ian Happ deal again recently with the Cubs.

The Astros thought they were getting Happ and Contreras until the Cubs pulled him off the table at the last minute.

Happ isn't someone that is really a middle of the line-up hitter, but he can handle the bat well and can hit from both sides of the plate well.

He is an excellent corner outfielder with the glove and can play some center as well.

He can hit competently just about anywhere in the order.

The Cubs really mismanaged his career, they sent him to the minors repeatedly when he didn't need to go down and they didn't let him settle in at a position.

The Cubs want too much for Happ at the deadline, and I don't know what the asking price is now.

He is coming off a nearly 5 WAR season but is a free agent after this season and he also has in his career been up and down.

The player that comes to mind is Urquidy, if the Cubs would be interested. Not sure I would give up multiple years of Urquidy for one year of Happ though.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This and Pete Rose...