1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Bell is a tough call. It’s hard to tell what player we would be getting. Are we getting the Pirates 2019 star version? The Nationals version who was a fringe all-star? Or the struggling Padres version?

Either way, I really hope we can snag Contreras.

Nook, J_Hunter_1977 and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yea, I don't really get the understand the point of the phrasing Jon Morosi used. The Astros are interested BUT ITS A TOP PADRES PRIORITY. What information does that convey other than 2 teams are interested. Whatever team gets Abreu will probably be the one who offers him the most; that's generally how FA works. Just seems like sensationalism.

I'm sure Click will get the blame if they don't get Abreu too....

Nook likes this.
  3. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

@Nook: if you could see them adding a possibility of Bellinger... have you heard that he might be option? I presume is primarily a buy-low opportunity (unless his low 'now' is actually his baseline). I have to admit, if he played for us, I might encourage the camera guys to hit a trashcan during his ABs at random just to f-with him. I land on: yes without a doubt, he is a d-head, perhaps if he's our d-head I might change my thinking.

4. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Get off the Click train. It has derailed.

5. xcrunner51

Lol, I can think that Click got a raw deal while also being happy he's no longer the GM. It's in the organization's best interests to have the GM, manager and owner on the same page which they were not.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If not for him running his mouth, Bellinger would be a really interesting option -- lefty bat, good defense at 2 positions that are upgradeable for us, and middle of the order type upside.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think he gets a 1 year deal for $10-$15M. More than the Astros would pay for a reclamation project.

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

they dont need to have any extension talks with Altuve. If he's still performing when he reaches free agency, i dont see him even considering walking if Houston makes a worthy offer. Tucker and Valdez are the only two id consider for an extension and not the lowball BS offers you surposed

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree

He is a trendy option which raises his price.

He could be a 6 WAR player but more likely a 2 WAR player ( don't see lower than that with his defense)

Some combination of McCormick, Meyers, and/or Leon will likely get 3+ WAR so it's not worth the bidding " war"

Not to mention he is a duche

11. the shark

the shark Member

I'm sure after everything Cody said about the Stros that he'd be a welcome addition to their clubhouse. Yeah right!!!

Throw in he sucks!! Not just no but HELL NO!!!

12. ktex

ktex Member

I don't know. He's a dick and he sucks.... so tempting!!!

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because Padres are willing to overpay while Crane will not. So there a hard limit for us and if Padres really want him, they could pay more without batting an eyelash. That being said, there is a tax difference.

14. xcrunner51

That's speculation. The padres pounding their chest doesn't make them any more or less likely to get him. Crane could announce JV is his top priority but if someone else offers significantly more, he's gone.

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'm not sure about Bell. I'm sure he's also looking for a multi-year deal in the 5-7 year range given he is age 30 and likely his last big deal. We risk a lot assuming that many years. I'd rather get a good vet at 1B, patch work -- i.e. with Abreu for 2 years -- and then develop one of our own or find someone who's performance is on the rise and doesn't fluctuate like Bell's

Mr Woods likes this.
  16. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Toronto dumpster diving.
    They signed Cody B.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I think it comes down to cost. I agree there is some inconsistency to his performance. He has improved from a terrible defender to an average one. There are also some that feel if he adjusts his swing mechanics he can tap a lot of power.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt they still have the resources to overpay for a top free agent. That said, the Padres have a history of paying more than market value (money and/or prospects) for the players they really want and if they have the budget, it would be a good time to be a great free agent.

Marteen and Nook like this.
  19. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Has he signed? Can't find anyone saying that he has, only that the Jays are interested.

20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

just a rumor Jay's are interested. nothing on him signing anything that I can see