1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

I think it's obvious now they need to spend the Correa money on locking up Tucker and Yordan and role the dice with Pena or trade for a reasonable shortstop...

By the time Yordan is a free agent he could be getting Correa money... not as allround a player, but better hitter... dhs also age better...

raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

Hopefully

Some guys pitch well under pressure others dont.

3. Screaming Fist

They probably won't be competitive next season but with Dunning, Jung, and Winn, they might have something beginning in 2023. No juggernauts, but the AL West may be the deepest division outside of the AL East over the next few seasons.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If they spend up to $210 and the Angels do the same, I would put them on about equal footing (80-something win talent, though with depth issues that could undermine it, but with health could get luck into a 90-win season). Not seen many teams be successful with depending on free agency only as depth almost always bites them in the butt outside of the major markets.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

They need to fill seats and gain season ticket holders and player splashes get peoples attention, for a time. It also instills some hope, even though some of that will dissipate when real baseball games start getting played. Still though, even if their merely mediocre, their PR and press guys will have big names to throw around all season to make their fans think the Rangers are important. And that will work, for a time.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If we had not lost our ace to injury we would have had enough pitching and you act like any SP we would have signed would have guaranteed us a win.

So Lunhow would have guaranteed us a winning SP?

This is what I am talking about.

#1466 jiggyfly, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How the heck did you get that from those numbers?

The Phillies were fighting to make the playoffs down the stretch would that not have been high leverage?

How do you extrapolate those numbers as not doing well in the playoffs?

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Some more signings have happened...

Daniel Hudson to the Dodgers 1 year 7 million

Kirby Yates to the Braves 2 years 8.25 million plus a team option for a 3rd year

Alex Cobb to the Giants - haven't seen the contract numbers yet

PiPdAdY33 likes this.
  9. raining threes

My thought is he walked into a championship level club and like all championship level clubs he should be judged by the WS he wins. So he was on the clock the minute he walked into MMP. Who he signs internationally or the lack of draft picks doesn't really matter that much because they dont help you win championships now. Although since Click didn't have 1st or 2nd rd picks for the last couple of years the need to spend and hit on the international market is great. You should be able to spend top dollar on the international market since you aren't paying top draft picks money.

Agreed if he wins championships all of the little moves he's failed on wont matter. But failed little moves cause championships to be lost. IMHO All Click has to do is hit on the little moves because the org was setup to win championships very well and if he struggles to hit on little moves, then what gives you confidence he will hit on big moves when the time comes?

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  10. raining threes

Lost his closers job and didn't do well in high leverage situations is why he lost the closers job. I didn't really need to look at the numbers. In the playoffs every inning is a high leverage situation and this dudes track record in those situations is spotty. Not a comfortable feeling at all.

11. raining threes

They could've won the WS. But they just didn't.

I guess having too many guys who hadn't pitched 150 innings in a season and Greinke's injury caught up to them.

12. raining threes

I'm thinking if the bullpen had been used better and they won game 4 and then they won game 5, that there would've been a game 7 and who knows what would've happened. I do know they were short one SP from giving themselves a better chance at winning a WS.

13. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

By this thought, the Astros need a whole new pitching staff since they struggled in high leverage situations against Atlanta.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That's true. The fact is, Valdez, Urquidy, Garcia and Greinke were more than capable of going 5 innings as was LMJ prior to his playoff injury. So they were not short of capable starters as they entered the playoffs.

If we are looking back in hindsight, Yordan should not have played in the World Series considering they could have had someone else do better than a .508 OPS.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Well I was completely wrong about teams not giving Seager and Correa massive 10+ year deals due to the depth and quality of FA SS (and bats in general)...

The Rangers are such a joke of a franchise.

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. HTown2017Champs

What could this mean?

17. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Rangers loading up and knowing Correa is gone.

18. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Now the Rangers can win 70 games next year!

No Worries and Fulgore like this.
  19. HTown2017Champs

Rangers spending big definitely makes sense. Not sure but it may (or may not) have to do with Correa. I'd imagine he would probably know a bit before it becomes public, especially since the two seem to be good friends. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I have a feeling it's a cryptic tweet.

20. Major

Major Member

Maybe if they had played Jason Castro at DH, they'd have won the World Series.

jiggyfly likes this.