1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think this psycho free agent pitching market makes Odorizzi more tradable every hour....

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of all ML catchers, Castro was 7th in OPS of those with at least 200 plate appearances.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed

raining threes likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He does the Click simply because he is not Lunhow, his history in this thread bears that out.

He never misses an opportunity to **** on Click it's the majority of his post, look at his history.

5. Major

Major Member

What is psycho about it? Cole got $36MM for 9 years. What would Cole have gotten if he signed a 3 year deal? Probably something similar or higher.

Scherzer is as good or better. If the Mets don't expect a drop off in the next 3 years, age is irrelevant. Outside of the overuse dead arm in the playoffs last year, he has not really had any health issues his entire career. He's getting paid like he's a 5ish WAR pitcher, which is basically what he is.

6. Screaming Fist

These are ostensibly good pitchers though. $10M is still a lot to pay for a guy who might get you one win over a replacement level scrub.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

So glad we resigned LMJ before last season. I think he’d be looking at a Gausman type return if not.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Cohen is absurdly rich, the Mets are just a part of his net worth. He could take a 100 million dollar loss on them and barely notice it.

Without a cap, he's the type of owner that could really blow apart the league pay scale if he felt like it.

Squirtle likes this.
  9. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I didnt think Odorizzi was that bad really after he got the rust knocked off from getting that late start to the season.

whiskeyred and AznH-TownFan like this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Andrew Heany got 8.5 million.... the end

Htown Legend likes this.
  11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Marwin was a Luhnow Rule 5 pick, right? His Mario Elie equivalent.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Yeah Odo was solid down the stretch, 2.35 ERA in September. I would have thrown him in Game 6, instead of Garcia on short rest. You just don't want him more than 2x through the lineup, or in relief. I think he's going to have a solid but unspectacular 2022.

The Beard, PiPdAdY33 and Nook like this.
  13. Screaming Fist

Not that I think that's a good signing, but Heaney at least has some pretty good peripherals (high spin fastball, high chase and K rates) so maybe some teams think he could still break out. Odo's peripherals are garbage.

14. SuraGotMadHops

I don't think Luhnow and "goodwill around MLB" belongs in the same sentence. Dude is straight blackballed.

desihooper and Screaming Fist like this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

I wouldn't be so quick to trade away Odorizzi.

You have JV coming off of TJ surgery and LMJ being shut down in the playoffs over his arm (and even when healthy doesn't give you a ton of innings during the season). Both will have their innings monitored and I'm sure both of them will be put on the DL at some point during the season even if they're not hurt.

Throw in both Framber and Garcia who also haven't proven they're going to throw a ton of innings and Urquidy being on the DL for a large part of last season and is also one who isn't going to be relied upon to throw a lot of innings and thus having someone like Odorizzi to eat some innings would make him pretty valuable in my opinion. Even with Javier. You can't keep turning it over to your BP after five innings over a 162 games because if you do your pen is going to be worn down come Sept and the playoffs.

If they're really wanting to trade Odorizzi it might behoove them to wait until the trade deadline. At least at that point more than half the season will have been played and his value may be a little bit higher.

PiPdAdY33, RockFanFirst and BMoney like this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Here is the issue besides any potential money savings the Astros would get in trading Odorizzi...

Astros have 13 pitchers pretty much set right now.

Velander, McCullers, Framber, Garcia, Urquidy, Odorizzi, Javier, Pressly, Stanek, Neris, Maton, Baez, and Montero.

None of those are guys you can really send down to the minors whether it is lack of options or the perception of service time manipulation. So you have very little flexibility outside of injuries which makes it harder to give Abreu, Dubin, or Taylor a chance. Plus, you don't have a lefty in your pen.

I expect someone to be traded. Also, a big part of Odorizzi's potential earnings next season come from incentives based on innings (up to 6.75 million). He already showed his displeasure over being pulled early. If he's in the bullpen he's going to be a problem.

Wulaw Horn, PiPdAdY33 and Nook like this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

Seeing all this absurd spending around the league actually makes me more comfortable with where the Astros are sitting. You build the foundation of your roster through scouting/drafting/development, you complete your roster through FA, and you perfect your roster through trades. You try to skip over Step 1 and build your foundation via Free Agency and that rarely goes well.

Now look at the Astros, 4/5 of their current projected rotation is originally home grown (LMJ, Garcia, Urquidy, Framber). Verlander was signed to top off the rotation, not overhaul it.

The only everyday position players that were brought in from outside are Brantley and Maldy. Whether it is Correa or Pena at SS next year, the entirety of the infield are original Astros, same with 2/3 of their outfield.

That's the difference between teams that spend smart to field a contender versus teams that spend stupid just to try to be competitive.

You add to all of that the fact Crane is NOT cheap (payrolls usually among the league leaders), and you have an org that is perpetually good. Welcome to competent franchise running (take notes Texans).

SWTsig, xcrunner51 and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Very fair price for Ray.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Mariners are gonna be stiff competition.