1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are you really gonna continue with this all offseason and next year?

What are you trying to accomplish by constantly bringing up Lunhow?

I think he got a raw deal and would love to still have him but ******** all over Click is not a good look especially considering what he did with Tampa and Houston, what he did with Tampa rivals what Lonhow has done in Houston yet you ignore that.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can agree with that opinion but he evidently sees something in the guy and he was a priority and the point remains everybody was ******** on Stanek the last offseason so that tells me the most really do not have a grasp of the effectiveness of these guys.

Not saying you can't have an opinion but IMO Click has earned the benefit of the doubt not saying you can't have an opinion but the vitriol is a bit overboard IMO.

We will see.

3. Major

Major Member

I don't think anyone was complaining about Stanek last year - he was pretty much a filler spot that could easily be cut if not useful? People were complaining about Pedro Baez contract, which was another one of those high dollar middle relievers. Click gets an incomplete there since he only pitched 4 innings last year due to injuries.

Edit: it's also hard to believe other teams were clamoring to pay Neris $8MM/yr. Maybe he was in demand - we'll never know - but even if Click loved him, it seems from the outside like he could have gotten him cheaper.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. Jeremy Williams

I agree with you that the Astros have the revenue stream to afford one contract in the range of 30-35M seven years from now. That doesn't address the impact it has on our roster needs every season until then. Committing this much to a single player for that long of a span of time is detrimental to the health of the organization.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Jeremy Williams

Click is in an entirely different era of Astros baseball. Luhnow worked through a complete tear down and used multiple years of 100 loss seasons to build a farm of talent. Click inherited Luhnow's work and is following the same philosophy of spending smartly to fill needs.

jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Jeremy Williams

What statistics are you using to weigh Neris' production?

7. raining threes

Is Click smartly spending?

Would you have signed Nevis for what Click signed him for?

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, there were people complaining about Stanek, and most thought he was just filler so my point stands most were wrong.

Yeah I agree about Baez and we will have to see but then we have Maton so once again he has an eye for talent. I agree the jury is out but I cannot see Click bidding against himself and just throwing money away knowing how the budget is tight and bumps in salaries are coming up.

My point still stands he has done more than enough for me to have a wait and see instead of automatically saying its wasted money which appears to be the consensus.

I don't understand questioning the spend knowing his history in Tampa and what he is gonna have to spend for Tucker and Yordon I am sure it was not willy nilly.

9. raining threes

The one stat that matters
    Championships and Click has been setup to win many. Click so far has won 0 in Houston or Tampa. There's a reason for this and you can look at the last two off seasons and see why. That's if you're being objective.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

One stat?

Objective? WTF?

What you are doing is the polar opposite of being objective with your Click bashing.

Thanks for letting me know you will continue to be delusional and make nonsensical swipes at Click.

Yeah it's his fault the Ace for the Astros got hurt in the playoffs:rolleyes:

IowaAstro likes this.
  11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems to me like half the people are worried whether or not these signings will impact Houston's chances of bringing back Correa or bringing in someone who can replicate his value in the SS or OF.

At the end of the day, this will come down to Crane and the market itself. Crane got involved with bringing back Verlander. If Crane wants Correa, he will be back. There is a reason why none of the top SS on the market have signed yet. I think everyone is waiting to see what happens with the CBA. I also think with several media outlets reporting on teams like Detroit not wanting to spend $300 million and even the Yankees will in some way impact the value of these contracts. The Mets had to pay Lindor that type of money because of a new owner coming in. I just dont see a lot of teams going to spend the type of money Lindor got. These players have to find teams that willing to make that type of commitment. Texas is really the wild card imo. I can see them being the team that signs Correa or Seager.

I'm okay with people pointing out Click's FA signings. I wasn't thrilled with the money spent on Baez. I don't have an opinion on Neris. I just wished Houston could have developed more in house talent in the bullpen. Click did a fantastic job at the trading deadline. I hope Neris is better than Graveman period.

I do feel if Correa wasn't as hurt as he was in previous seasons, I truly believe management would have signed him to a contract prior to this offseason. I just hope they actually keep some dialogue going with him and not be set on the contract offer that Mark Berman reported.

DVauthrin likes this.
  12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What the Rays have done is awesome… but Click wasn’t ever their GM. You can’t give him the credit for those moves any more than you can give Lunhow’s staff credit for his moves. The Astros are the first time he’s calling the shots.

I think that he did well to bring back Brantley. The Baez move was a fail so far. Bringing back JV is great but it was risky and seems like we may have overpaid given his expected AAV. Neris also feels like an overpay. I liked his relief acquisitions mid season and give him credit for those even if they were just rentals.

It’s too early for all these moves to judge his worth as a GM. But that’s what we do as fans, right? So far I haven’t loved his recent moves but this off-season isn’t done yet.

13. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

And to be fair, Click took over after this whole cheating scandal came to light with the pandemic going on. Not an easy task to take on.

The offseason is barely getting started and who knows what will happen with the new CBA.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Fair assessment and I felt the same. But I will say is Click was nails during the trading deadline. The Verlander deal was all Crane and not so much Click.

SamCassell, BlindHog and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You make sound like he was just some scout in Tampa he had a lot of say in the org.

I have no problem in having an opinion on Click but that's not what rt is doing he has been ******** on everything he has done since he has been here and gives him zero credit, you should probably look at his history.

The fact that Baez is the only thing that you can point at as a fail considering how much the pitching staff has changed and still we have been deep in the playoffs should show his worth as GM but for some reason, rt thinks he should be judged on WS wins alone.

He has done way more good than bad and has extended our window IMO I don't agree it's too early to judge.

I have no problem with questioning moves but give the guy the credit he deserves.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The whole cheating scandal and the pandemic which was probably more a detriment.

17. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Baez, Odorizzi, Yimi, Maton (yes I know he had a good world series)

Click isn't exactly killing it with his bullpen or pitching signings/acquisitions. It's like he wants the Stros to be Tampa.

I will gladly eat crow if this signing works out, I doubt it a crap ton though.

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If the Astros won’t give 27-year-old Carlos Correa a market value contract, there is very little reason to be optimistic the team signs Tucker and/or Alvarez four years from now. Both are elite hitters and only 24 years old. They will be 28 when they hit free agency and likely will seek a similar contract.

Correa is also a more valuable player because he plays a premium defensive position very well.

#1258 DVauthrin, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    everyday eddie likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Disagree... before Tucker and Alvarez become free agents Verlander, Brantley, Pressly, Maldonado, Altuve, Bregman, Neris, Odorizzi, Castro, and Baez could/would be gone. Timing is part of it. Astros picked Bregman to sign because he agreed to a somewhat team friendly contract and he was the better player than Correa at that time. His peak in 2019 was also higher than Correa's peak this year. They are willing to pay some players. They just can't keep everyone all the time.

20. Jeremy Williams

Bregman, Altuve, Brantley, Gurriel…all contracts extended or resigned. It’s not about retaining great players. It’s solely about whether they are willing to work within mutual expectations.