1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Joe Kelly does not live around here. TB has lived around here for years.

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

As much as I like the rookies at center field, what about going after Starling Marte? He's 33 but led the majors with 47 stolen bases. Perhaps he wants to break the bank but winning has to be on his mind, too.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I guess the things he's said about the Astros over the past few years would just be water under the bridge then?

4. HeyBudLetsParty

lol he’s trolling Bauer will never pitch in the bigs again

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He needs to go on the Yuli offseason training program to even be considered a shortstop again. His agility and lateral movement all declined this year, and that's due to his bulk.

6. lnchan

For a team that was second in the AL in starter ERA... there is an amazing level of panic on starting pitching. We also had 6 competent starters + Javier for most of the season. Bad stretches happen for 2-3 starts in a row for players as do injuries.

AznH-TownFan and DVauthrin like this.
  7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

So long as you have Altuve, Bregman and now Alvarez and Tucker in their prime, I think you have to keep shooting for the moon albeit not completely sacrificing the future. Love what Click did shoring up the bullpen this year.

Starting pitching will be the most interesting decisions. Does JV even want to come back? Will he accept a short term or prove it deal? I like our young rotation + LMJ but we need an ace.

I don't envy the Correa decision, but as with Springer last year I don't think it's really going to be much of a decision. The kind of contract he receives will likely be crippling for anyone outside of NY, BOS, or LA.

8. Major

Major Member

Graveman is going to get closer-money somewhere; I don't think the Astros can pay him that money to be a set up man. They have to go find the next Graveman.

Ray is going to get #1 starter money based on one year's body of work. He was mediocre to bad in 2018, 2019, and 2020. It seems like a signing that's likely to go very poorly.

everyday eddie and Tomstro like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No F#cking Way

msn, No Worries, Squirtle and 2 others like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Agreed - a lot of our pitchers were just too young and never pitched this deep into a season. They just experience and need to get stretched out more and get used to pitching 180-200 innings. I think part of the development process is letting people fail - don't take them out in the 4th or 5th if they are struggling - let them work through it and get that experience.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Strom not coming back is obviously a big blow, but some of what is coming out quickly reeks of worse internal problems

Strom said he definitely isn't coming back here as the major league pitching coach, but might consider opportunities elsewhere

Also said him and Click came to the agreement late in the regular season but specifically said Dusty didn't find out until he talked to Click this morning. Not sure if the breakdown is between Click and Dusty or Dusty and Strom, but that's pretty poor either way

Sure hope this isn't a sign that Click has already told Strom that Dusty would be back and Strom decided he couldn't do that again

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

it’s not doom and gloom; I am extremely high on Meyers and was one of very few people in the world talking about him as a real prospect prior to this year. But even optimistically he projects as a 2.5-3 win/115 wRC+ player. So he’s not good enough to replace Correa’s production on his own. Like I said, their roster projects for 90+ wins as-is. But if they want to boost that, CF is one of very few places to do it on the offensive side.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is the kind of deal that will GREATLY depend on the new CBA

Regardless of the CBA i'm at the point that I know guys like Correa will get paid. The middle money guys, such as Graveman, have a LOT to gain or lose in these new negotiations

Having said that, if we let Correa and Verlander and Greinke go....no reason to not spend on guys like Graveman

14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Greinke was our most prolific pitcher for 2/3s of the season, put him on a twice through the line up limit and he will pitch all the way to the super bowl. Sign him for a year with a mutual option for a second year if he reaches an agreed upon number of innings.

15. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros will have a more eventful off season than most off seasons.

Obviously the largest issue is Carlos Correa. If they lose him (and they do expect to lose him), they will need to address the loss of offense and defense. They can hope for a rebound from Bregman and possibly some internal improvement from their young outfielders but that doesn't off set the loss of Correa. That leaves them needing to potentially upgrade the pitching to over compensate for the loss in offense and defense OR the Astros need to improve their offensive production at other positions.

The problem is that the Astros are largely set at most positions on the field and any real upgrades would be expensive. The one exception would be catcher. The Astros tried to get Wilson Contreras a couple years ago from the Cubs but the cost was too high. Contreras is in the last year of his deal, which should limit his cost somewhat. He would represent a massive improvement offensively. For context Contreras had a WAR overall of 4.1 last year and Maldonado was a 0. Contreras also was good with the glove last year but some question his focus or pitch calling.

Don't be surprised if the Astros try to get Contreras to make up for some of the loss of Correa.

The other option for the Astros is to try and pluck another of the "star" shortstops in this massive shortstop market. That would include someone like Baez or Storey. The idea being that there aren't enough teams willing to sign a contract to a long term deal and someone will be stuck taking a shorter term deal that fits the Astros needs. In this scenario the Astros would still drop 20-25 million on a SS but for one season. None of the other shortstops are as good as Correa, but all have has comparable seasons.

This is a dicey situation for the Astros, because it would require them waiting and sitting on 20-25 million until right before the season starts in an effort to get the last remaining shortstop signed.

The third option is that the Astros roll with Pena at SS, and the Astros decide that they will make up the lost production through a signing or trade for an elite starting pitcher. In this scenario the Astros take the money from Correa and Greinke and target someone like Verlander or Gaussman and count on him him having a 4-6 WAR season to anchor the rotation. In this even the Astros will be saving prospects but eating financial flexibility.

This is a dangerous scenario because you are likely looking at a multi-year deal commitment with a lot of risk.

The other option is to try and trade for a starter like Zach Wheeler or one of the Reds starters. The positive is that you likely save some financially, but the negative is you are losing prospects, which are the most valuable commodity in the game, even over money.

What I have been told
    Crane wants Verlander back but on a short deal or the QO
    The Astros are skittish about paying anyone for 10 years like Correa wants
    The Astros are NOT adverse to getting a CF if the market is good

What my gut tells me
    It is just my gut, but don't be surprised if Brantley is available in trade. The Astros have some younger players at far less money and Alvarez could fill his role going forward. Brantley also wore down. His bat on ball skill will be in high demand. I could see the Astros dealing him for a really good but unproven bullpen arm.
    The Astros would likely deal a prospect to get out of the Baez deal so they have the money to work with.
    Don't rule out a Pena to the Reds deal for a starter.
    The Astros may deal one of their young starters if the market is strong.

16. lnchan

I have a bad feeling that if we sign a SS, he will be Kaz Matsui SS version.

Nook likes this.
  17. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He kind of disrespected the same hitters over and over and we paid the price … if he would of stayed away once we got 0-2 counts and limited the homers we win the WS…. That’s the diff in the Boston series and Braves

18. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want a #1 or #2 starter
    A SS that hits for AVG. over Power
    The return of MVP Bregman

19. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Obviously I want Correa but if not Correa, I want Story if the price is right. Then use Pena as a trade chip. If they feel Pena is the real deal, I want Marte and use McCormick or Meyers as a trade chip. Or send Meyers to the minors and have him as a call up. Brantley has 1 year left right? Then in 2023, Meyers and Alvarez can play LF/DH.

As for starters, I want 1 of Stroman, Ray, or Gausman. I kind of want 2 starters though.

For relief pitchers, 1 of Graveman, Iglesias, or dare I say it, Jansen.
    And 1 if McHugh, Yimi Garcia

And it won't happen, but I'm Japanese so I want Seiya Suzuki if he becomes available and move Tucker to CF if they feel he can handle it full time.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I appreciate the insight, Nook. It's very troubling that the Astros, with a projected 2022 payroll that is already $75 million lower than this season, would be trying to attach prospects to dump Baez's 5.5 mil "so they have money to work with". Same for dumping Brantley, who's on a reasonable contract and took (I think) less to resign with Houston than what Toronto was offering. They already have plenty of financial flexibility this offseason.

And I really, really hope that the team isn't going to try to make up for the loss of Correa (and Brantley?) by signing a 30-year-old catcher. We all know the history of rapid offensive decline by catchers in their 30s.

Major and DVauthrin like this.