1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

LMJ wasn't on short rest

Nick_713, desihooper and Astrodome like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Verlander isn't coming back, Astros get a pick
    Greinke isn't coming back, Astros get a pick
    Correa isn't coming back, Astros get a pick

3 picks to rebuild the Farm System

McHugh - no chance

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Don't be surprised if Greinke returns -- his career is missing a ring, and he came closest with Houston twice. Money is not a primary factor for him at this point of his career, and he was willing to fill a smaller role this time around. And with Verlander, he's staying or going to Detroit.

The real x-factor may be... Forrest Whitley.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Carlos Rodon was one of the most vocal guys lashing out against the Astros for the cheating. In fact, that entire White Sox team has taken up some weird mantle against the Astros. There's zero chance Rodon signs here. My hope would be Marcus Stroman, Robbie Ray, or Kevin Gausman.

Also, why would you say no chance on McHugh?? He and his wife LOVE it here, and are still very close to a lot of the guys on the team. I could very easily see him signing a deal to come back and pitch here.

5. lnchan

No QO for Greinke... one he is not eligible, and two... he is not worth $19.5 million at this stage of his career.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No idea what the off-season looks like but I’d be surprised if the Astros weren’t competitive again next year. I think Bregman bounces back and replaces the production we’ll miss from Correa. Would love to get Verlander on 1 year prove it deal. Definitely should re sign Graveman. The bullpen was nails during the postseason for the most part.

raining threes likes this.
  7. lnchan

Leave Dallas Keuchel out of it.

That may just be the LaRussa factor in all honesty... he thinks swinging at 3-0 and stealing a base in a blowout is cheating.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Carlos Martinez of the Cardinals

A Power Pitcher

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't understand some of the doom and gloom I'm seeing on Twitter and whatnot. If anything, these last 2 seasons have proven that our farm system isn't nearly as barren as the media would have you believe. They've added youth to the starting pitching rotation, as well as youth in the OF all off the strength of their farm. While we have some serious question marks heading into this off-season, I still think the Astros should be regarded as the favorite to win the division, and a contender for the pennant.

Stephen66, BigM and lnchan like this.
  10. msn

msn Member

When do pitchers and catchers report?

I miss baseball.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well ... This thread is depressing as hell.

whiskeyred likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Just like last last off-season?

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Offseason Outlook (1/2):
    Locks: C Maldonado, 1B Gurriel, 2B Altuve, 3B Bregman, RF Tucker, LF Brantley, DH Alvarez, IF Diaz, SP McCullers, SP Valdez, SP Garcia, RP Pressly, RP Stanek, RP Maton, RP Baez

Locks if not traded: C Castro, OF McCormick, SP Urquidy, SP Odorizzi, P Javier

Short term needs (in-house projection): SS (Pena), CF (Meyers/Siri), 13th position player (Jones/etc.), P (Abreu), RP (James), RP (Taylor/etc.)

Other considerations: CBA uncertainty, Pitching coach vacancy, Manager vacancy

Resources: $30M-70M in payroll availability (depending on CBA outcome), upper level pitching prospects they can trade, 2nd and 3rd tier farm depth they can trade

Long term replacements: SS Jeremy Pena 2022, C Korey Lee 2022, IF/OF Pedro Leon 2022, 3B/1B Joe Perez 2023, OF/3B Tyler Whitaker 2024, OF Colin Barber 2024, C/1B Yainer Diaz 2024, P Hunter Brown 2022, P Shawn Dubin 2022, P Forrest Whitley 2022, P Peter Solomon 2022, P Jaime Melendez 2023, P Alex Santos 2024

Long term needs: 2B, ToR SP

Current roster projects for roughly 47 fwar (which translates to ~90-100 wins) on payroll of ~$130M. To get the roster back on par with WS favorites they’ll need to add 2-3 net wins to the roster, likely at SS, CF, C, SP, and/or RP.

#33 Snake Diggit, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    BHannes2BHonest, Nook and No Worries like this.
  14. lnchan

Except it was not on short rest...

15. No Worries

Greinke will get a league average contract for a #3 starting pitcher. That does not price him out of the Astros possibilities.

My concern wrt Greinke is that he seriously declined in the last month or so of the season. I would not be surprised if Greinke next season only gets through a half of a season before fading, which would likely underperform his contract.

16. lnchan

Why the doom and gloom at CF? Everyone last offseason wanted Jackie Bradley Jr... and he completely did worse than our Straw/Chas/Meyers/Siri monster. We just need one of the Chas/Meyers/Siri to continue developing... my money is on Meyers.

17. lnchan

COVID really sapped his stamina and energy. Not everyone bounces back as well as Durant or Soler...

18. No Worries

If that was the issue (and the Astros would internally know), the Astros might be the favorite to resign Greinke on a 2 year deal.

19. No Worries

I am not depressed. The Astros are a FA destination and have freed up money to be active in the off season.

awc713 likes this.
  20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

if MLB re-instates T.Bauer. I'd go after him because he will be cheap.