1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Brantley, Gurriel, Verander were not under contract by Luhnow past 2020. Click has used most of the sparce resources left by Luhnow outside of MLB talent on keeping that MLB talent on the Astros.

The Astros are going to keep winning for a while, and the likeliest big money expenditures are already on the Astros. Are you really going to whine for the next 3 years because spending money on the Astros players is the best way to keep their World Series odds up and possibly winning one or 2 more?

#3061 Joe Joe, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    jiggyfly, IowaAstro and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

The very nature of a small sample size is that it holds no statistical significance. So while I may not be surprised if Siri hit .200, I also would not be surprised if he put up a 155 OPS+. However, whatever he does with the bat is irrelevant to the conversation - which is should the Astros sign the recently released Justin Upton.

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm a hard no on Upton. He would push one of Siri/McCormick to AAA and make Goodrum your backup CFer. Pass.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's mot really a difficult calculus. Is he better than the player you would have to replace? If not, the money doesn't matter.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

How can the question be irrelevant?

There is no place for both on the roster.

Whether the team feels Siri will hit or not is the only factor for why it would even be considered.

By the way, IMHO, it's a simply dreadful idea to even consider it.

You are talking about significantly hurting the defense in order to get a veteran who has been hurt and beyond terrible the past 3 years onto the team at the expense of a young player with upside who will at least keep the defense good?

Upton is 34, has negative WAR EACH of the last 3 years and has missed 50% of the games during that time. (Played 193 of 384)

A team significantly worse than us is willing to pay over $20 million just to be rid of him. And you want him?

MrBear1 likes this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Click has taken a World Series team and not ****ed it up. That’s a compliment. It’s hard to sustain greatness and the Astros will likely enter their 6th season of World Series contention. Could he have built this team like Lunhow? No idea. There’s also a lot of other guys missing from Lunhow’s original staff. He’s kept the Astros good and competitive.

7. Buck Turgidson

Pro Tip: Don't buy the $.99 tinfoil, go for the Reynolds Heavy Duty.

8. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Obviously you did not bother to read the conversation before commenting, because all you did was mimic my points

9. raining threes

I'm not whining, I asked a legitimate question and we all know what the answer is.

Ask yourself this question, would Luhnow have let guys like Springer and Correa walk and essentially added nothing t to what he already had?

Best we as Stros fans can hope for is that Leon/Lee are the real deals and a couple of the young pitchers become aces. I don't see Click spending the money he saved on upgrades. I could see him further depleting the farm system to try to fix screwups like he did last season with the Baez screwup. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Luhnow let Cole walk....

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think that maybe Luhnow would have let them walk.

Jeff was supremely confident in his methods for choosing players

All these players were chosen by him and his front office.

And we know that Luhnow was all about sustained success.

He let plenty of players go rather than hamstringing the team financially.

I could totally see him letting ANY player walk if the financial requirement to keep them did not align with his vision.

All the way back to 2016, when he let Valbuena walk because he has Gurriel and Bregman ready ( nearly ready) to step in, he was confident that the guys he brought into the organization would allow him to keep the team contending without the payroll being bloated or focused on one or a few players.

Luhnow brought in Pena. I can completely believe he would have said. "Thanks for the ring Carlos but I have a better chance of getting more with Pena at $700k than you at $35 mil"

H-Town Info and El_Conquistador like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Springer let Springer walk

Cole let Cole walk.

Neither were ever coming back.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

That's exactly right. Luhnow, and any good GM, is going to do a cost-benefit analysis of his options. Look at your full team over the course of the next 3-4 years with and without Correa and by allocating the dollars to Correa or spreading it out over other areas of need.

Contributions absolutely have to come from young, cheap players to have a sustained period of excellence. The financial math for a non-NY/LA team can't make it worth otherwise. These contributions have fueled the Astros over the past 6 years. From a motivation standpoint, most players are at their peak right before they sign their big deal.... which would also speak to Correa peaking last season.

To sustain our run, we need above average WAR contributions from Jeremy Pena, Jake Meyers, Pedro Leon, Forrest Whitley, Korey Lee, Hunter Brown, etc. over these next few years.

H-Town Info likes this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

Hence, i said in a pinch...

Reasonable for Upton would be about .240 and 25 to 30 homer pop....

Again, if it's costing playing time for Siri I'm ok with that... siri needs to play everyday in aaa more... just my opinion...

15. raining threes

Yep, Morton too,

He did manage to add to the team though.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. bobrek

Luhnow can't be judged on whether or not he would have replaced Cole, since he was fired about a month after Cole left. But, he certainly didn't replace Morton prior to the season. It can be argued that he ultimately replaced him with Greinke, but that wasn’t until the trading deadline.

17. raining threes

Agreed, but he also added guys after he let guys walk.

Guys like Gurriel/McCann/Pressly/Greinke etc...

Again I will ask you, who has Click added that was more than a rental that wasn't somebody Luhnow had already brought in?

Hopefully Pena/Leon/Lee are the real deals, because if they are the Stros should be really good for a long time. If they aren't I cant see Click making the necessary moves for the team to remain a championship contender. There's no doubt Click was given the keys to a Lamo, hopefully he doesn't run it off in he ditch.

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  18. raining threes

Do you think Click will make a deal like the Greinke deal at the deadline? I would say the jury is still out on this.

19. bobrek

Of course the jury is out on whether or not he will make a big move at the trading deadline (or before). They have to get there first and then have to determine what their needs are. Last year it was clear they needed bullpen help and he made a few moves at the deadline to address that. I think we would all agree he hit on Graveman and Maton based on their postseason performance. Garcia had 2 terrible postseason games but 8 good ones.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. raining threes

Agreed, he had to trade away the farm because he missed on guys like Baez. BTW, It's not just me, Nook called Baez a bad signing at the time. Said he was losing velo and apparently he continued to lose velo.

If they aren't contenders at the deadline it will be because of a do nothing offseason.