1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Astros end up with one of the 4-5 top guys being mentioned, I just don’t think it will be the 1-2 top guys. I could be completely wrong. I can tell you inside the organization they expect to get one of the top guys.

If the Astros ended up with Hand or Liam or Rosenthal I would be satisfied... I think the bigger issue is in the outfield

2. Nook

Nook Member

This is how I feel as well. Yes, I think they need to add Hand or LH or someone else that is quality... but we already have a black hole at catcher, and don’t need more

raining threes likes this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

This offseason is boring me to death...

Here are some crazy moves for the Astros....

Blue Jays were runners up for Lindor. Also, Correa was mentioned earlier in the offseason as being shopped. IF Correa wont sign an extension do this.....

Trade Correa, Tyler Ivey, and Cionel Perez to the Blue Jays for Lourdes Gurriel, Randal Grichuk, and 5 million dollars. Blue Jays can move Biggio to LF, Bo Bichette to 3B, and sign Springer for CF. For the Astros you fill LF and CF for 3 years. Lourdes Gurriel is making less than 15 million total for the next 3 seasons. Grichuk is a local kid and making 30 million total the next 3 seasons. The 5 million helps bring that cost down.

Then I have 2 options for 3B that move Bregman to SS.

1. Sign DJ LaMahieu for 5 years 100 million

2. Trade Forest Whitley, Bryan Abreu, and Jeremy Pena to the Cubs for Kris Bryant, Wilson Contreras, and 4 million dollars.

Option 1 Lineup:
    Lamahieu 3B
    Altuve 2B
    Bregman SS
    Alvarez DH
    L Gurriel LF
    Tucker RF
    Y Gurriel 1B
    Grichuk CF
    Maldonado C

Option 2 Lineup:
    Altuve 2B
    Bregman SS
    Alvarez DH
    Bryant 3B
    L Gurriel LF
    Tucker RF
    Y Gurriel 1B
    Contreras C
    Grichuk CF

Then sign one of the top relievers, a backup catcher (if you don't trade for Contreras), and call it an offseason.

Htown Legend likes this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

I don’t see us trading Correa. Just looking at the Lindor (who had to include Carrasco) and Betts returns, I just don’t think Click can sell that type of return to Crane baring some collapse/rebuild. 2021 roster will take a severe hit if we trade Correa. The prudent move may very well be to getting 50 cents on the dollar for Correa now, but I just don’t think that’s a bullet we bite right now, unless there are some things going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about. We do need to make some 40-man changes, but I would be really surprised if Correa was that move. Lourdes and Grichuk are fine players, both those assets and 5mil? For Carlos? The GOAT? Showrea? Jose’s double play cannon maker? I’d rather ride 2021 out.

5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

While I agree with a lot of your points here, in my opinion, the idea is to try to maximize the competitive window. Springer is gone... and once he’s signs with another team, it’s gunna sting as an Astros fan. I don’t know what type of negotiations are happening behind closed doors or if there have been any at all... but if you can’t lock in Carlos long term, I’d absolutely explore trading him this offseason rather than losing him for nothing in less than a year. Especially if that return nets you young, controllable, cheap talent for years to come. The injury thing still concerns me. A 162 game season with Carlos still concerns me. His value after his postseason showing this past season might be as high as it will get between now and the deadline. Just my opinion man

awc713 likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't expect it to happen, but I'm putting some of the news stories together to make some scenarios up. If Click/Crane aren't extending Correa long term I have no problem trading him IF we can extend our window by getting major league proven players.

Also, Lourdes Gurriel is a stud and for 3 years at 14.69 million is a real bargain. Lourdes has a career .836 OPS vs .833 for Correa, and Correa's OPS+ is only 3 points higher. Gurriel hasn't been a full time player outside of the shortened season, but his ceiling is pretty high.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Pedro Leon is as good as advertised, Astros can skate with Straw for a month or 2. Add someone like Profar or Rosario, and Astros have enough room for 2 elite relievers.

I'm not advocating this strategy, but it is a path to 2 elite relievers depending on high degree of confidence in Leon. If Astros have a high degree of confidence in Leon, it would explain some of the rumors.

I expect Astros to go cheap on an OF and get one decent one....same as with relievers with Stanek possibly being the cheap one.

#1407 Joe Joe, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

#1408 tellitlikeitis, Jan 11, 2021
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

WTF?

#1410 Redfish81, Jan 11, 2021
  11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes. White Sox hedging against hyper inflation.

12. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Now that Hendricks is off the board, should we expect to see Hand, Colome, or Rosenthal to sign soon after? Or will it be a waiting game once again?

Also any interest in Kirby Yates? Apparently he's looking for a incentive laden 1 year $5 million deal.

13. Nook

Nook Member

The White Sox are over paying... they have been doing that a lot. They did a really good job on the rebuild but are blowing all their financial flexibility. I would not pay Hendricks 4/54. He has been really good the last couple years but it is far from certain... I bet the Astros are kicking themselves for not claiming Brad Hand off waivers.

AznH-TownFan and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Honestly, until all these reports came out I didn't believe the Astros would sign one of the top tier guys and would look more at someone like Archie Bradley. So we will see if these reports were just agent talk or if the Astros actually fork over the cash for an elite reliever.

Nook likes this.
  15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Crane is in cost cutting mode.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

$54/4 is an overpay for Hendriks. I’m glad Houston didn’t do that. I hope they don’t let that shift the market for relievers and overpay a lesser guy like Hand.

IowaAstro, Htown Legend and Astrodome like this.
  17. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Yeah. Hard pass on that deal. You could probably get 2 of Colome, Hand, or Rosenthal for that price.

desihooper likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Nobody claimed Hendriks off of the waiver wire, correct?

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was Hand, not Hendriks.

No Worries likes this.
  20. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

That was Hand, who was non tendered a contract I believe. Hendriks was UFA

desihooper and No Worries like this.