1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. itzIce

itzIce Member

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Former Rays opener. I wonder if Click will try to implement that strategy here

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like decent enough value. I'm curious when the bigger dominos start to fall.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like Stanek but I think it’s odd that he reached free agency after a projected $800k arbitration salary then Houston is signing him for $1.1M. I wonder if Houston will control him for 3 more seasons or if he negotiated free agency into his contract after this season. He also appears to have a minor league option remaining.

raining threes likes this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

I would think Lindor to NYM is good for HOU in that it takes a huge spender off the board for Correa. I’m sure they can still afford George, and man, would they look elite with those two additional to their lineup. I suppose I can live with George-y beating up on ATL, WAS, and the rest of our NL foes (and NYY) if he is in fact not returning to HOU.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ryne Stanek: "Obviously, the team is really good and looking for a chance to play for a championship. That’s the whole plan. I really like how they run things."

Stanek: "I hope I get a chance to fight for a leverage role. That’s obviously what I’m looking for. I think one of my strengths, obviously, is something that I’ve been able to do a bunch of different things."

Astros GM James Click: "We’re still actively pursuing several other options and certainly don’t anticipate this being the last move of the offseason."

Click on Stanek: "First and foremost, the stuff that he has, he can get big outs in big situations and he was looking for an opportunity to win a leverage role in a bullpen."

Ryne Stanek has three more seasons of club control, including this one. He was going to go through the arbitration process for the first time this winter before signing the one-year, $1.1 million deal.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Perspective...

Stanek is making 100k more than Biagini did last year.

I will take it.

9. raining threes

You feel bad for a guy that's going to to possibly makes 150 million. LMAO

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Your ability to read context/sarcasm is pretty awful.

MrBear1 likes this.
  11. raining threes

I'm not the only one.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I understand the term "high leverage" is popular but I struggle to grasp how it makes sense in describing these situations.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Guy on third in bottom of 9th up one is high leverage as just one run affects whether game ends in 9 or not. Guy on third in bottom of 9th up 10 is low leverage. Teams can control who is pitching. Being able to strategically deploy great pitchers in high leverage situations will lead to more wins than if teams deployed relief pitchers randomly.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't know if this is the right crossover, but I think about high leverage from the financial standpoint. High leverage = lots of borrowed money = very risky situation where you want your smartest people / best strategy / highest effort in place. Goal is to make enough money to get out of debt and decrease the leverage. If the people do a bad job in that situation, the company goes bankrupt pretty quickly...not a lot of time or space for error.

Astrodome likes this.
  16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

A lever is a force multiplier, which amplifies the impact of every action. So high leverage makes sense as a descriptor of a situation when every action has a disproportionate impact on the game.

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Another issue that goes hand and hand with this deals with college baseball. The NCAA only allows 2 paid assistants teams generally have at least 3 . One is a volunteer and has to find ways to make an income. Scholarship money for baseball is also greatly underfunded and lots of good multi-sport players have to choose football and basketball over baseball because of the financials of getting an 80-100% scholarship over 10-20%. Just another way baseball loses out on players.

mikol13, Hank McDowell and Nook like this.
  18. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

It's hard to attract the best athletes when you pay by far the least for star players. 2012 had a star player drafted first overall in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. (Luck, AD, and Correa) Here is how their career earnings have played out through 2019 when Luck retired.

Davis ~ $120 million
    Luck ~ $110 million
    Correa ~ $12 million

If a guy like Kyler Murray has a choice on what sport to play, baseball is the wrong answer every time.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That has 3 significant factors. 1 Baseball takes longer to master meaning draft picks aren't a sure thing. 2 An individual baseball player has less of an impact on the winning percentage of the team (a great starting pitcher impacts a game like a QB, but only once every 5 days). 3 Even when a young player master the game deserving of a large contract, the MLBPA and owners have agreed to suppress their salaries for many years.

At some point, I expect football is going to have a huge drop off not counting the South as less people play it growing up. Though, that is still probably decades away.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Now look at career earnings for the top players in the league.
    Yes there are negatives to being a young baseball player. But the star players careers typically are longer, guaranteed and on par or better in terms of money than the other two sports.
    And as far as top athletes, I don’t think baseball is devoid of top tier athletes or talent.

Astrofan59, awc713 and Snake Diggit like this.