1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm waiting to see the numbers. I'm guessing Minor signed a bargain 2-3 year deal that is likely more team friendly than a 1 year deal.

Nook likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Not yet..... but there haven't been any real dominoes that have fallen yet. The top handful of guys always get their money.... it is the middle class players that get squeezed.

Let's see what the Royals deal with Minor is for first. He has stated he had a fondness for the Royals in the past.

Charlie Morton got the whole $15,000,000 from the Braves which mildly surprised some people in baseball, but the Braves have some short term money available and Morton has a very high upside.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. Early signings are usually teams getting what they want. Braves likely expect Morton to have one more great year in him and paid a premium to get it. Royals likely want a cheap starter at 2020 offseason prices for a few years that they can either keep or hopefully flip once a vaccine is widely available for profit.

joshuaao, raining threes and Nook like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rumors are the Blue Jays are looking at both Springer and Brantley. Speculating, they may intend to add a CF and a LF/DH, moving Gurriel to the infield and making Grichuk their 4th OF. That would make Derek Fisher (who is out of options) the odd man out. I would not be opposed to Houston taking a flyer on Fisher; he hasn’t been good in his time in the majors, but he has excellent exit velocity and has never been given more than 200 pa in a season. He has walked and hit for power but he has struck out a lot. I think he might be the type of guy who can tame the k’s just enough to squeeze in 2-3 seasons as a good everyday caliber player.

Nook likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

There is still a little bad blood but I would not be shocked to see the Astros try to get Joc Pederson as an outfielder because he can play all three spots and has upside. He can get an OPS north of .800 with power and play defensively........ he especially hits righties, so at the right price I could see it happen.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's ideal for the strong side of a platoon OF. Astros don't have a good candidate for the weak side.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

I wonder if Trevor Williams would be a good option...while some Williams haven’t panned out (Woody), I’d say our last PIT pitcher did pretty well. Surely pitchers on the market want to pitch with Strom, but I suppose it takes two to tango.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't know. Any starter we acquire would need to be a guy you feel good about pushing Javier or McCullers to the bullpen. Not sure he fits that category.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He doesn't have great stuff, but gets by with having 5 pitches all with different speeds. His effectiveness is based on changing speeds and getting chases out of the zone. He doesn't have a pitch he can throw in the zone to get weak contact or a whiff. Astros typically like their BoR starters to have a bump in effectiveness as a reliever in the postseason. Williams would likely slot in after Pruitt for starts.

I don't know what to make of this post. I'm hoping (though not expecting) Astros get an ace. Even then, I doubt Javier or McCullers are the one going to the pen during the regular season unless they get hurt in spring training.

#810 Joe Joe, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  11. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Agreed. That’s only Bauer & Morton for me. Minor to a much lesser extent. Also want to keep a window open for Whitley and would like too see him as one of the extra starters you need to get through 162.

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Does James, Scrubb/Bielak land a quality middle innings arm? Those are the three likeliest I see being moved as the Astros start signing guys.

Would be nice if Click can find another Fairbanks/Yarbrough type for the pen.

13. raining threes

James is the guy I would try to move for an OF or a C.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He had hip surgery and will miss part of the season.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Maybe Domingo Santana? I’m sure Santana would sign for peanuts, but I think they’d be a pretty salty combo for LF.

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would try and see what I can do with the Reds?
    Maybe see if they are interested in Correa?
    India Senzel and Lollado?
    Try hard for DJ
    And talk to Joc Pederson?
    See what happens

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

A Pederson LF, Senzel CF, Tucker RF
    Wouldn't be bad
    Maybe sign Profar COF infield depth for the LHP?
    Move Bregman to SS
    Have DJ at 3B
    Sounds like a helluva team.
    You have your 3B of the Future with India
    And Lollado to replace and Whitley to take over for Grienke and Verlander

Sounds like a win win

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So any thoughts on Vince Velasquez assuming he gets non-tendered? He's a buy low candidate that could slot as a middle reliever/emergency starter. Even if he doesn't pitch better, he's still likely better than a few guys that will pitch for the Astros this upcoming season. He's got the Astros characteristic fastball with rise, but he's throwing it too low. He's an excellent candidate to see if a small tweak (e.g., throwing fastball up in and out of zone more) in how he pitches can affect his performance dramatically. If it doesn't work, he stays as a low leverage inning sponge.

#818 Joe Joe, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    raining threes and awc713 like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Eddie Rosario on outright waivers right now. A corner OF for about $10M if Astros want him. Below average defender, with a slightly above average bat.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Some random (read: bored) offseason predictions:

- Snell to MIN for Royce Lewis/Kirilloff/prospects.

- Lindor to NYM for Conforto and prospects

- Springer to NYM, 5/125

- Bauer to LAA, 5/130 with player opt out after 3 (is he still only thinking of doing 1-year deals? That’s wild)

- LeMahieu to NYY, 4/75

- Ozuna to TOR, 4/65

- Brantley to HOU, 2/28

- Simmons to NYY, 1/11

-Semien to the Southern Oklahoma, 4/70 and player opt out after 2

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.