1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wouldn't count on Jake. He wasn't the healthiest player in the book last year.

I would come to believe the Astros are looking for Younger Healthier in the long run. Wouldnt put it past them to actually look for a Young OFer.
    Nick Senzel wouldn't be a bad look. Might be able to trade for him a couple of Pitchers.

Still think Profar or JBJ could be on the mend. And even bringing back Brantley.
    But think longer term.

Couple years ago there was alot of Intreast in Senzel.
    Idk

htwnbandit and raining threes like this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because of the dramatic drop in $/WAR, I expect most of these guys to take 1 year deals in hope of bigger money next offseason.

On the plus side for Bradley, he's seemingly in high demand as the budget option behind Springer. The hope would be (given there seems to be no traction to Springer coming back) to try and sign him early before Springer. And it isn't like we don't need to acquire at least 2 OF anyway.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think the US will be past COVID by start of next season and I expect the federal government to have more say on mass gatherings under the regime-elect. If I was a free agent, I would grab as much as I could this offseason.

Also, I am wrong every CBA, but the MLBPA has to secure more money for players pre-arb and in arbitration this time (i.e., more revenue sharing). More money going to club controlled players would hurt what goes to free agents and keep free agent salaries from rebounding quickly.

TWS1986 likes this.
  4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Springer rejects qulifying offer, per Yahoo

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Joe Joe likes this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is going to be a weird trade. I'm not sure how arbitration is going to work this year. Normally, I would say he'd get north of $20M in last year of arbitration. If that is the case, he's not got much surplus value in this offseason. Considering CBA will expire, no clue what draft pick compensation acquiring team would get next offseason if no multi-year deal or extension.

awc713 and raining threes like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Sitting here today, I’d guess they’ll (Mets) wind up with George Springer.” - Robert Olney

9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

[​IMG]

IowaAstro likes this.
  10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

At this point I feel like it's a foregone conclusion that he won't be staying with the Astros. So I guess it's a positive if he ends up with an NL team rather than staying in the AL. I'll root for him wherever he goes, but I'd love to be wrong about him leaving.

11. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was leaving once 2020 season without signing an extension. But that’s me. That’s what I worried about CC too if he doesn’t sign an extension this offseason with us.

12. dmoneybangbang

We do get some sort of compensation pick if Springer leaves? That was the point of the QO?

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yes, if he signs elsewhere. The pick is sanwiched between the first and second round.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think it comes after the 2nd round

15. donkeypunch

Just found this.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-qualifying-offer-rules-explained-c259650658

everyday eddie and studogg like this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Actually it is worse. We get it after the 4th round because we paid luxury tax this season.

"General rule: Compensation after Comp Round B (in pick 75-80 range)

• Exception 1: Team paid luxury tax = Compensation after fourth round (mid-100s)"

17. donkeypunch

OMG. I didnt read down far enough. Wow, were gonna lose Springer for pretty much a 5th rounder.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It will be in the same range as the pick they got for Cole that they used on Santos. Likely somewhere in the 70-90 range, so basically a 3rd rounder. Not anywhere close to being worth losing Springer, but whoever they get with that pick will likely be one of their top 15 prospects right away.

EDIT: I think I’m wrong. As pointed out, if Houston was above the tax this year then it’ll be a 4th rounder. That sucks.

#578 Snake Diggit, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    donkeypunch likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Which is exactly why I am in favor of trading Correa if you can't work out an extension in the next 2 months. Now that we are a team flirting with the luxury tax and a team that no longer receives revenue sharing the compensation pick means very little. Losing star player after star player and not getting anything back when our farm system is decimated by the big trades and loss of draft picks is not a good idea long term. Take your emotion out if it. Would you rather land a haul of players now and lose Correa a year early or get nothing but a pick after the 4th round when he signs with the Mets or some other team next offseason?

WRONG.

We were in the luxury tax in 2020. That moves the compensation pick for Springer to after the 4th round. Read my quote from my previous post. The link to the explanation is there as well.

Direct quote from the story linked above.

"If the team that loses the player went over the luxury-tax threshold, the compensation pick will be placed after the fourth round has been completed (as with the previous scenario, it doesn't matter how much the player signs for). The only two clubs that exceeded the threshold in 2018 are the Nationals and Red Sox."

raining threes and Astrofan59 like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member