1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

mikol13 likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think you're confusing him with Marcus Stroman.

Archer is a reclamation project... but because of his former success/phenom-prospect status, he'll probably have a higher than warranted asking price.

3. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Springer the Q.O. Is this tossing in the towel? To me Springer is the heart and soul of this team. It will not have a personality without him. That can not be measured in statistics and will be sorely missed.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.draysbay.com/2020/2/13/21136465/tampa-bay-rays-chris-archer-astros-cheating-scandal

5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Archer was definitely outspoken about the sign stealing scandal. He said that an Astros player called him in ‘17 to let him know he was tipping pitches, and felt betrayed because that player knew they were actually stealing signs. Regardless, most of these players who were outspoken would sign with the Astros for the right price. Our core was relatively young in 2017 and the veterans from that squad are pretty much gone or retired. The Astros being one game away from another World Series trip this year, along with being one game away from winning the damn thing last year- players know this team is still solid and doesn’t need to steal signs to compete for titles

King1, msn and desihooper like this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Springer is important, but no one guy holds all the keys to this teams soul.

lw17, King1, msn and 2 others like this.
  8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

No, the QO is not throwing in the towel. Even if we for sure have a shot and resigning him, you still offer the QO just in case since he's testing the market. In this case though, the Mets look ready to spend a lot.

I wonder if the rest of the owners get annoyed at Cohn coming in and embarrassing the rest of them in his first off-season and really push for a hard cap.

lw17 and everyday eddie like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs has their 2021 depth charts projections up. Here’s where Houston ranks:

C 20th
    1B 19th
    2B 2nd
    SS 4th
    3B 2nd
    LF 27th
    CF 25th
    RF 8th
    DH 1st
    SP 13th
    RP 19th
    Position players 8th
    Pitching 13th
    Total 7th

Adding any of the 2nd tier free agent catchers would be significant to their catcher ranking. Zunino, Castro, McCann, Flowers, Avila, Martin, Suzuki, Romine, Leon, even Lucroy all project to be better than Stubbs. I don’t expect any of those guys except maybe McCann to sign for more than $4M/yr, so free agency appears to be a very affordable way to fill that need.

Pillar, Bradley, Hernandez, and Eaton would be upgrades over Straw in CF, but it’s hard to predict how affordable they will be. There’s a lot of potential solutions for LF, many of whom should sign very cheaply. Profar, Grossman, and Puig stand out to me. For now I still expect Click to address the OF via trade. One other interesting possibility would be to sign Kim and try him in the OF, as he could serve as insurance at SS if Correa leaves after 2021.

There are too many pitching reclamation projects to even fully discuss. I do think Click will sign one starter and one reliever and this will be a big test for him. Some GM(s) are going to look like geniuses based on which ptichers they sign this offseason.

#429 Snake Diggit, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Early rumors are JBJ to Astros per NY Post and MLBRumours.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MLBTR top 50 predictions link the Astros to Realmuto, Springer, Hendriks, Brantley, Pederson, Bradley*, Hand*, May, Treinen, and Yates, predicting Bradley and Hand to actually sign with Houston.

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

If Springer is gone, JBJ wouldn't be a bad replacement. Its arguable that Bradley is actually a better defender than Springer

MrBear1 likes this.
  13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Myles Straw is a better defender than Springer. Jake Marisnick too. I mean, if we are going to get a less-than-average bat, but an elite defender, I think there are cheaper options out there.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

.732 career OPS

If he is on our radar, I hope its to replace Reddick. No way his bat replaces Springer or Brantley.

lw17 and everyday eddie like this.
  15. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Who’s bat can replace springer and Brantley? Maybe Ozuna and LeMahieu. Love to have LeMahieu but not sure he can play OF. Plus, will be tough to outbid the Yanks for his service.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sadly, your right. Answer: No one we can afford :(

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Curious why we didn't extend a QO to Brantley? If he declines and signs somewhere else, we get a draft pick correct so why not extend the QO to him?

If he signs then we have him for 1 more year. Was the price to high? I believe I saw almost $19 mil for 1 year. I realize that is steep but it is just for 1 year and you could possibly trade him mid season for prospects, etc.

lw17 likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not sure what their respective price ranges are, but over the last 4 years JBJ isn't a noticeably better player than Jake Marisnick. Jake's OPS is actually one point higher over those 4 years, despite playing at less hitter friendly home parks. If we're going WAR per game, he's actually better.

I have to imagine Jake will be a cheaper option if we're just gonna go glove in CF.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Same reason teams all over the league are declining options and cutting costs.
    $$$

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No, Archer said a lot too