1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Houston Astros: Ryan Pressly comments make me concerned for closer’s role
    What separates a closer from the rest of the relievers in the bullpen? Mindset. A closer must have an attack and kill mentality. A closer has to have a short memory. A closer has to have one thing on his mind, give me the ball so I can get outs. Houston Astros pitcher Ryan Pressly does not have the mindset of a closer and this concerns me heading into the 2021 season.

https://calltothepen.com/2021/02/20...-comments-make-me-concerned-for-closers-role/

ryan_98 likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Eh. He was 12 of 16 in saves last year. Not great, far from awful.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

I know the likelihood is next to nil, but COL has to be looking to move Blackmon. He's turning 35 this season, is under contract for 3 more seasons, and has regressed some, but he has put up solid numbers the last few seasons. I think his home/road splits may be a bit too concerning to justify that type of move, but I'd be curious how much $$$ COL is willing to eat (or maybe adding in Marquez) in order to move him. I think Click is going to have to be aggressive on the trade market if Straw really struggles out of the gate, as we have no one in our organization who's really built to handle the brunt of a full regular season in CF. It's probably more likely that Click opts for a less flashy CF acquisition than Blackmon, but it's a slow Sunday and I'm tired of the Luhnow arguments.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's not a CFer anymore and hasn't played CF since 2018. He doesn't fit the roster no matter how much money the Rockies eat.

Rockies should have an epic fire sale at the deadline. Givens, Marquez, Gray, Story, and maybe Freeland should all be traded. They have zero percent chance of competing in that division for several years.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But apparently he has that mindset when he’s an elite setup man?

I was hoping we’d be at the phase of the analytic movement where there was data supporting 2 inning saves or not having a fixed one guy for 9th inning only when up by 3 runs or less, regardless of who’s coming up to bat... but I guess the data still agrees with this dogma (despite the Astros having a flirtation going against this in some of the playoff games last year).

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Agree with that 26. Having Stubbs, McCormick, Abreu, Scrubb, Garcia & Whitley in AAA is nice depth. Will be interesting what the corresponding move is once Pruitt returns.

raining threes likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Anybody with a sub wanna spill what it says about Houston/JBJ?

11. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Won't do it because signing him would put them over the Luxury Tax which would lower any potential compensatory picks for next year.

ryan_98 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Interesting. If all the pending free agents have great seasons (and the QO rules stay the same), Houston could have up to 4 QOs with Correa, Greinke, Verlander, and McCullers. 4 extra 2nd rounders would go a long way to rebuilding the farm, although losing Correa would be a HUGE blow to the roster.

ryan_98 likes this.
  13. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Rosenthal says Correa is for sure to get one and the jury is out on Verlander who will be 39. Doesn't sound like Greinke or McCullers will be worth it.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Greinke isn't eligible. He recieved a QO from the Dodgers so Rosenthal was wrong mentioning Greinke.

Also, Rosenthal mentions it isn't just about the compensation for losing a guy we give a qualifying offer. It is also about the penalty for signing someone from another team that has a qualifying offer attached. The penatly in the luxury tax for that is 2nd and 5th draft picks and a million from international signing money. The penalty out of the luxury tax is just the 2nd pick and 500k in international money.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I keep forgetting Greinke isn’t eligible, my bad.

I think McCullers has a chance to be offered a QO if he stays healthy and throws well. A >3 fWAR >140 ip season would likely line him up for a $50M+ contract in free agency which usually means a QO. Odds don’t favor him actually doing that but there’s def a chance.

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I will be curious to see what type of weight range he is in. Many months ago he had trimmed down a lot and looked svelte. He REALLY wants to play the field badly. He was working on running drills and agility drills in an effort to play the outfield.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I have ZERO numbers to back it up but I will say that Pressly always seemed more tight and not as effective as a closer. I think the Astros felt the same way, which is why they tried to get a closer. I suppose the hope is that if Pressly is healthy and command of his pitches that it won't really matter because his stuff can be close to unhittable.

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Only see Correa getting a QO if he doesn’t sign an extension first......
    David Nuno: Carlos Correa wants to hammer out an extension before the season starts. Correa:
    It would be great, but it has to be on their side also. If we can reach an agreement at some point it needs to be [before] the season starts because once the season starts, I don't want to be involved with any negotiations

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Looking at the free agent list for next offseason there are a lot of guys that COULD get qualifying offers.

Salvador Perez
    Brandon Belt
    Freddie Freeman
    Anthony Rizzo
    Javier Baez
    Carlos Correa
    Corey Seager
    Francisco Lindor
    Trevor Story
    Arenado (if he opts out)
    Kris Bryant
    Nicholas Castellanos (if he opts out)
    Michael Conforto
    Jorge Soler (would need a monster season)
    JD Martinez (if he opts out)
    Dylan Bundy
    Clayton Kershaw
    James Paxton (outside shot if healthy and doesn't get traded)
    Noah Syndergaard
    Justin Verlander
    Lance McCullers (would have to actually make 28 plus starts and pitch well)

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Of course he does. Outfielders get more money in arbitration and free agency.

juicystream likes this.