1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Straw, I don't think Astros expect him to be a good outfielder. I think they expect Brantley to hit well enough that it made more sense getting him and starting Straw than dividing Brantley's money up into a CF and a LF for what was available at time of Brantley's signing. Based on how things changed quickly rumors for Brantley from Blue Jays to Astros, I'm not sure Brantley was the Astros first choice. My guess is the first choice turned the Astros down (i.e., was waiting for a better offer), and Astros had to make a decision on Brantley when they did. They choose Brantley at a good price instead of possibly getting nothing.

If Straw hits, he'll remain as the CF. If not, Astros will replace him at some point. I don't expect that Straw will make or break the Astros season.

On Javier to the pen, I think Astros believe that pitchers have some influence over quality of contact such that they suspect he's worth 2.5-3 wins as a starter instead of the 1 win most projections have him at. It would be much cheaper to get a great bullpen arm than a 2.5-3 win starting pitcher. Astros may try to get another starter, but Javier would only be in the pen until someone got hurt (not counting playoffs) or he just plays poorly as a starter.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Entering the offseason I targeted 7 additions Click needed to make:

1. CF: they added Steven Souza and Jose Siri on minor league deals. They also signed Pedro Leon. Jackie Bradley, Kevin Pillar, and Jake Marisnick are still available. If Souza is back to his peak, or if Leon is ready much faster than expected, then job well done; otherwise, CF remains the weakest spot on the roster.
    2. LF: they added the 2nd best LF on the market in Brantley. Mission accomplished.
    3. RP: they added Pedro Baez and Ryne Stanek. Not the kind of experienced elite closer most fans were hoping for, but Click seems to be prioritizing pitch mix over roles. For now I'd give this a C grade but take a wait-and-see approach.
    4. backup C: Castro was probably the best catcher on the market after Realmuto and McCann, and his bat complements Maldy. Good add.
    5. SP: the Astros have done nothing here. THere are still a dozen or so arms available in free agency who could help shore up the back of Houston's rotation, but if Click is a strong believer in the in-house options, it makes sense to stand pat. Another wait-and-see item.
    6-7. Elite Prospects: This would have been extremely difficult to do without downgrading the big league roster, but Houston's lack of elite prospects and low-ranked farm is their biggest weakness when evaluating their long term outlook. They did add Leon, and while he isn't listed on any of the recent Top 100 lists, the fact that Houston gave him the largest int'l signing bonus of any prospect speaks pretty loudly. Click also added 3 young players who are not top prospects by any stretch in Luke Berryhill, CJ Hinojosa, and Jose Siri, but adding young players is better than subtracting them. Houston's best hope for addressing this issue is to outstrip their draft position and have some of their lesser prospects break out.

If they really are done making moves, I would give this offseason a C- with a "pending results" asterisk.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No pitcher limit for 2021 in the Health and Safety Plan. I think Astros will be strongly tempted to carry 14 pitchers after the short year. If they do, Toro may get the squeeze if Diaz is healthy.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Oh man, they must want to be back.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

O well he shoulda said ill play for freeze

9. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Click is to 2017 Rays as Morey was to 6’5” PFs

raining threes likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully one of them relievers can put up zeros like tucker.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Marlins signed Duvall (on a great deal, too). They’ve got a plethora of solid outfielders now. I’d love Marte in HOU but not sure how realistic that type of trade would be. He’s due to make 11.5 and 12.5 before becoming a UFA in 2022, and will be 31 next season...but that could fit right under the tax line. Marlins would probably require a good haul given their 2020 playoff campaign, but they’ve gotta be receptive on Marte I would assume.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's a free agent after this season not next season.

Don't see that being a move the Astros could make until the deadline when he only has 4-5 million left for the last 2 months of the season.

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Good minor league deal on Cishek. Most experienced closer on the ST roster.

Pressly, Smith, Paredes, Taylor, Baez, Stanek, Raley, Pruitt, Abreu, Garcia, Scrubb, Cishek, James. 13 bullpen arms vying for 9 spots. I dig it. SUCKAAHHHH

texans1095 likes this.
  14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

There could be a trade commin

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I absolutely adore her. If she ever gets tired of Collin, I’m sure she could have a very unsatisfying life with me.

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Doubt it. Going to need all those arms to get through 162.

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree with your take, but wouldn't you consider Leon an elite prospect?

mkahanek likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would, but I am a homer. None of the National publications seem to think Leon is an elite prospect, as he hasn’t been on any of their Top 100 lists.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member