1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Looking at the odds to win the World Series I like the Astros at 22/1 and the Nationals at 40/1

awc713 likes this.
  2. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Colome to the twins for 5 mil and a second year option at 5.5 mil. The Baez deal is looking like a real head scratcher

everyday eddie, Nook and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For the AL since 2014, FanGraphs has not had a 75% or better preseason odds for postseason miss the playoffs besides for Boston and Cleveland failing in 2019. Sure sometimes there is a 10%-25% chance team that jumps a 60% team every now and then, but that is to be expected.

#2243 Joe Joe, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    jiggyfly likes this.
  4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Strom baby.

Nook likes this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yup... hate the Click moves even more now.

6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Don’t hate the signing but the money for Baez was too much. Blame it on jumping on the market after the Hendriks deal. I like the moves that don’t really push the needle far enough but can take a few wins away from the White Sox.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think that was causing him command problems. His slider was moving nearly a foot more horizontally than it was the previous year. It is interesting that he has an above average movement pitch up, down, left, and right.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just terrible money spent.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I also remember how everybody hated the Smith signing 2 years ago.

10. Nook

Nook Member

So just watched Colome sign for 5 million with the Twins... and watched Soria sign for 3.5 million with the Diamondbacks.

Two guys that have saved over 40 games in a season, that have that valuable experience Click said he wanted.

Both guys have career era’s under 3.

Don’t worry though, Click got Pedro Baez For 6.25 million a year and added Jason Castro for 3.5 million.

Could have had Colome, Soria and Avila for the same money but I am sure Click has a plan.

11. raining threes

Misuse of funds

SMH

Nook likes this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Am fine with Pressly closing and signing a starter to the pen or giving Abreu, Garcia, Scrubb, Whitley a shot at the last spot.

These are the final pieces of the depth chart nothing to get too worked up over.

1. Maldonado
    2. Castro
    3. Gurriel
    4. Altuve
    5. Bregman
    6. Correa
    7. Diaz
    8. Toro
    9. Brantley
    10. McCormick, Straw, Leon or a 1yr deal on a FA
    11. Tucker
    12. & 13. Stubbs, McCormick, Straw, Souza or Leon
    14. Alvarez

1. Grienke
    2. Valdez
    3. McCullers
    4. Urquidy
    5. Javier
    6. Pressly
    7. Smith
    8. Paredes
    9. Taylor
    10. Baez
    11. Stanek
    12. Raley
    13. Pruitt
    14. Rosenthal or FA Starter or Abreu, L. Garcia, Scrubb, Whitley, etc

#2252 Mr.Pringles, Feb 3, 2021
    raining threes and Nook like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Certainly on the surface at this point Baez looks like an obvious overpay, but it also would not surprise me if Baez ends up being more productive than both Colome and Soria. We’ll just have to see.

But Castro is better than Avila. I like Avila but he is just a tier down from Castro. Castro will have to have a career worst year in order for his contract to look bad.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Barring injuries, there’s really only 2 roster spots up for grabs. Locks:
    C: Castro, Maldonado
    IF: Gurriel, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Diaz, Toro
    OF: Tucker, Alvarez, Brantley, Straw
    P: Greinke, McCullers, Valdez, Urquidy, Javier, Pressly, Baez, Smith, Raley, Paredes, Stanek, Taylor

So the 2 open spots are:
    1. An outfield spot between Souza, McCormick, or Siri
    2. A pitching spot between Scrubb, Martes, Garcia, Abreu, Bielak, or Whitley (this assumes James and Pruitt are still hurt at opening day)

I am still hopeful they will acquire a starter like Porcello or Jon Gray. I am less hopeful about the outfield but am hoping they still bring someone in, whether trading for someone like Benintendi or signing a desperate free agent like Pillar, Villar, or Marisnick.

#2254 Snake Diggit, Feb 3, 2021
    No Worries likes this.
  15. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Click is paying Baez the same sort of money Luhnow handed out to high-leverage arms...Pressly, Harris, Rondon, Smith, etc.

I don’t fault him for getting the middle reliever he and Strom liked after the Hendriks deal. He could have waited and maybe still had him on the board now for $3 million or maybe not.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Soria's career ERA is 0.02 less than Baez. Colome's is 0.08 less.

Never seen so much love on this board for 2 Pedro Baez clones and a catcher that watches more third strikes than Castro. Signing Soria and Colome doesn't fix the need/want for a reliever that will likely be great instead of guys that have been good/great in the past.

Avila, Castro....don't really see much difference in projections regarding overall value, but Avila's value seems tied to him not swinging the bat. That seems exploitable vs Castro getting it on defense and hitting crap out of the ball at least sometimes.

Caveat: Never really noticed Avila so only going on stats.

#2256 Joe Joe, Feb 3, 2021
    IowaAstro and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I will take two Baez clones over one Baez.

I don’t think Colome or Soria are sacred cows but I do think getting two quality arms beats getting one.

As for Avila, if his ability to walk is exploitable so if Castro who has hit .200 over the last three years.

raining threes likes this.
  18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

serious question, do we know if FAs like those wanted to be here? Did click jump on Baez because he was one of the few who were willing?

I am not assuming that Houston has n issue tracking FA, but it is a fair question that should be asked. I would think it’s ultimately about money, but is there a premium of some kind the astros have to pay?

19. raining threes

I can live with Avila if that means an upgrade in CF or P.

I mean he only will probably be starting 55-60 games this yr and you save 2 million.

20. raining threes

If the money is the same players will usually go where they have the best chance to win a WS.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.