1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros still have Castro/Baez money available, though it is likely tied up due to Correa's arbitration or Click wanting to save it for the deadline. Luhnow probably would have made a trade for a pitcher at the last deadline that would have ensured Straw as a starter (maybe RF though). As the Astros were knocked out of the playoffs due to lack of clutch hitting in the ALCS, it is doubtful a pitcher would have made much of a difference. Whether faith in team, complete lack of faith in team, or dumb luck, Astros not making a trade last deadline was likely fortuitous.

Catchers and pitchers are more likely to get hurt than OFs. It is easier to trade for an OF than it is for catchers and pitchers. If injury concerns are an issue, Click had right idea spreading it around even if maybe his choices on who was wrong. Luhnow would have gotten a backup catcher as well and spent $1-$3.5M. I would have preferred Click take a little more chance and spent some of their reserve money and the Baez deal for a better reliever. If Astros have extended injuries to their big bats again, who is in center won't matter...unless MLB has expanded playoffs again. In which case, who's in CF before trade deadline doesn't matter.

Though you are focusing on the negatives. Brantley in left is likely a huge plus such that Straw in CF for half a season if he performs poorly doesn't matter (i.e., Astros trade for a CF if Straw doesn't perform, but have a CF if he does). Provided minor league ball isn't delayed even more, Leon will provide a prospect that can be traded at the deadline straight up to fix any need for this season. Though, I doubt Astros trade Leon.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If Straw is the starting CFer I will be disappointed. UNLESS they plan to call up Leon as soon as they are done manipulating his service time.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The difference in cost between JBJ and Straw will probably be within a million or 2 of the difference between Brantley and Profar. There is a very good chance that Brantley nuts up and outperforms JBJ and Profar combined.

#2003 Joe Joe, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I was replying to a post saying that Straw might outperform the free agent CFs... not whether Brantley might outhit a defense first CF and a utility IF... I would be surprised if he didn’t!

5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Seems like a pure bat 1B/LF who would move to the majors quickly. Would be in the mix to replace Gurriel or Brantley.

Mr.Pringles and raining threes like this.
  7. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Older than you would like, but those are impressive numbers.

Hopefully he can rush through the minors.

Astrofan59 and raining threes like this.
  8. raining threes

Reasonable post

I've been really underwhelmed not only by what Click hasn't done but by the way he's spent money on what he has done. It's a misuse of funds. IMHO

Does Click have the same scouting director chops as Luhnow did when he took over. Unearthing gems was a Luhnow specialty.

I'm going to holdout hope that they either trade for a viable everyday CF or find one in FA before I start passing judgement on Click. But so far during his tenure he's done next to nothing to build off of the great franchise Luhnow left him.

Hopefully Click's sweet spot is finding the unknown Cuban guys that become stars. Leon and Gonzales seem to have a lot of promise. Are both of them starting at AA?

TWS1986 and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How do you know that? Do you have a scouting report.

raining threes likes this.
  10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Cuban kid sounds pretty good. That's encouraging. Correction: Cuban kids I should say.

#2010 TWS1986, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Google his name. There are some articles (mostly in spanish) that have scouting comments. Seems like a pure bat with plus (possibly elite) power and good plate discipline. Very little commentary on his defense but given he is clearly a 1B/LF (and looking at his body type) one has to believe he will be limited there.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Nice....this is the kind of the move the Astros need to make and hit on to lessen the impact of losing their draft picks.

I don't care about his age. He should be close to MLB level if he is going to make it. Controlling a guy through his prime and being done with him at age 32-33 is fine by me.

13. raining threes

Can you read Spanish?

CheezeyBoy22 and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You were right. I found a site that says LF/1B

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For a power reference, Gonzalez hit a homer every 30 to 35 PAs on average. Leon was hitting nearly one every 10 PAs his last season.

CheezeyBoy22 and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Poquito. But Google translate does any heavy lifting.

CheezeyBoy22 and raining threes like this.
  17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Leon's Cuban stats are ridiculous. He didn't play at all last year, so he's missed a year of development. But his production in 60-ish games means he might have a quick rise through the minors. He's short though - not a lot of 5'9" or 5'10" center fielders in the bigs. It might be that he ends up a better fit in right than in center as a result.

Htown Legend and Joe Joe like this.
  18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Yankees salary dumping Ottovino!

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yankees and Red Sox living together! Mass hysteria!

20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Doubt it his arm in CF grades an 80 on the 20/80 scale.

raining threes and Astrofan59 like this.