1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. mario elie

mario elie Member

Nobody is hitting the panic button, and I'm pretty sure everyone realizes it's still early in free agency. But the players the Astros were interested in are flying off the board. And frankly, when catcher was a big need and you settle on Chirinos...that's terrible. It just is.

ASTR0nomical and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The Corbin and Eovaldi contracts tells you all you need to know. This isn't last year. Teams are over paying big time again and that's not a game the Astros can play.

Also, if they are concerned about losing Verlander and Cole next year perhaps spending a ton of money on multi year contracts this year makes no sense. Spend it on those guys instead. Think about it...if Patrick Corbin is worth 23.5 million per year how much is Cole and Verlander worth?

I expect the Astros to be in on Nelson Cruz or make a trade for someone on their last year of arbitration (Abreu, etc). SHORT term deals make sense for this team.

raining threes likes this.
  3. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Eovaldi reportedly getting 4 years, 67.5M from Boston.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Houston gives up a good prospect for Abreu, Chicago better be eating a lot of money. Otherwise just sign Nelly Cruz and keep the prospect.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The midpoint of Eovaldi and Corbin would be ~$110M/5yrs; that’s about what I’d expect Keuchel to get. Wow.

6. Screaming Fist

Would guess DK ends up with the Yankees now. Anyone think Kikuchi might be a possibility? Haven't heard anything about the Astros being interested in him. Maybe too much risk involved given his health issues and the uncertainty of how he will perform in MLB.

7. ktex

ktex Member

Totally agree.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

If this is not panic button level just yet, just imagine the b**ching and moaning when some of y'all get to that level.

Damn, it's gonna be a long offseason.

Losenow hasn't traded for all players and signed every free agent? He's obviously not trying. Doesn't he know we have a window of 5 months. What the hell is he thinking? What would Mejdal do? We should have given him $5M instead of that loser catcher we just signed.

#1288 Nippystix, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Marteen likes this.
  9. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Do not expect any significant moves until at minimum a few weeks from now. Asking prices in trades, while reasonable to to some, are way outside Luhnow comfort zone. Man loves his prospects. For what its worth, Tucker is being treated as the second coming. Better pray Jeff is right, he is our future they are depending on.

Marteen likes this.
  10. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Is this from the same source that said that Carmelo would be a Laker before he signed with us? That it was Lala’s decision this time? That it had already been decided?

I realize you got the Goldschmidt trade correct, but I believe you posted shortly after the Bob Nightengale tweet, and I think there were some rumors already on Cardinals’ twitter.

I’m not saying you’re making this up but you came pretty hard saying Melo wouldn’t sign here and that it was essentially a foregone conclusion that he was going to LA. So I’ll take your info with a grain of salt.

11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Luhnow signed Chirinos as leverage and depth to potentially sign or trade for another catcher. As stated on crawfish boxes. “Miami is drunk”. Luhnow will not trade real, quality assets for “rentals” with the exception of Harper.... which I think means he will essentially make a real play for Harper. Stay calm. Luhnow knows what he is doing...

12. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Oh most definitely as you should. These are my opinions of course. I just happen to know someone in the organization is all from before they were in the organization. They may not know everything either its just what we talked about the other day. You dont have to believe of course thats totally up to you. The melo thing i got from a guy in nyc and was wrong I will own that. Im just telling you the viewpoint of someone within the organization and their line of thinking. You can take it or leave it, just wanted to share.

Marteen likes this.
  13. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

if something is going to happen i would think it would happen at the winter meetings coming up soon. Its still early, but striking out on Goldy was not good.. This would have been a move that would have put fear in redsox and yankees

14. Major

Major Member

You don't spend $6.5MM on leverage and depth when don't actually have a starter.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

First off it is December 6th and there are lots of players left.

Second, the Astros did not expect the market/cost to be nearly as high as it has been early.

The Astros have spoken with the agents of a lot of teams and have had a lot of trade discussions and still are. Just yesterday the Astros were talking to the White Sox about Abreu.

The key is not to make foolish signings that cripple the team long term.

RocketToVegas likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

With the Sox adding (resigning) Eovaldi and the Yankees adding Paxton, a Goldy move would have (perhaps) just been an evening move.

As I see it, we are one good move behind these guys at this point.

#1296 jim1961, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Again.

Only a handful of players have signed or been traded.

IowaAstro likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I agree with this, what is crippling and what is necessary is often times a matter of perspective. One could argue that doing nothing is crippling.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Probably two, if you want to be arguably better.

Luhnow knows he needs a truly productive bat and another starter...... it will be addressed.

He already improved the hitting from the catcher spot.

IowaAstro likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you, but I don't believe the Astros will do nothing.