1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MacT’s articles over the last month sure seem to be setting the stage for Tucker to be dealt. No clue if that’s coordinated with the FO. But today he published a piece discussing Pollock, Brantley, and McCutchen as possibilities and barely mentioned Tucker as an option.

2. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I think Tags is just stating the obvious. He doesn't know the Astros intentions at this point.

3. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The problem is Beer and Alvarez are likely to both be 1B/DH guys in the majors. That has little to do with Tucker in the OF. If Alvarez could play a decent LF it would be great, but he's a big dude and the Astros value defense.

5. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I believe that he got plenty of time in LF this past season.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Like I said... I hope he can play a decent LF in the majors. He is 21 years old, 6 ft 5 inches, and listed at 226 pounds. I saw him in person in Corpus. He looks even bigger than that and I suspect he will continue to add weight.

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

Apparently, Bryce Harper has "affection" for the Astros.

Sources: After landing LeBron, Magic Johnson travels with Dodgers officials to court Bryce Harper

"The courtship of Bryce Harper likely means a journey to Las Vegas, the 26-year-old outfielder’s hometown and a place where one generally arrives with hope and cash and leaves with less of both. In recent weeks, Major League Baseball teams interested in perhaps the most sought-after free agent in nearly two decades road-tripped there with plenty more – a keen interest in getting to know him, a sales pitch on why he should sign with them and, in one case, even some Magic.

Officials from the Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees are among upward of a dozen teams that have traveled or plan to travel to Nevada to meet with Harper, league sources familiar with the discussions told Yahoo Sports. Other meetings already are set for a site away from MLB’s winter meetings, which start Sunday at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

The Chicago Cubs and San Diego Padres are expected to check in. The Washington Nationals, with whom he has spent his seven major league seasons and who offered him a 10-year deal worth around $300 million toward the end of the season that Harper rejected, almost certainly will circle back. Harper’s affection for the Houston Astros is well-known, as is the St. Louis Cardinals’ for him.

- Tim Brown and Jeff Passan

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-la...s-officials-court-bryce-harper-050324678.html

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I wonder what that so called “affection” is based on ?? Does he have any Houston ties ? Otherwise it’s bs leverage .. don’t play with my heart for your jillion dollar contract Harper !!

mikol13 likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Harper in the middle of the Astros lineup would have and give great protection.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros win a lot of games. Players like that.

11. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

“I literally love you, Justin Verlander.”

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'm figuring its leverage too. Harper is really, REALLY good friends Kris Bryant - i'm sure he'll end up a Cub.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

At this point I am fairly confident that Alvarez can play a corner outfield spot in the big leagues, at least for a few seasons. Yes, he is a big guy (taller than 6'5" and his weight has fluctuated) but he is also a good athlete with solid speed. As far as his weight is concerned, I know that the Astros believe that his weight increase is in part because of changes in his diet and that with some modifications he will be a little more slender. It hasn't been stressed yet because they feel he is still developing as a hitter.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Sounds dumb but I know that some on Crawford Street don't like Tucker's body language or approach. Seems like an old school approach but it is one held by some up there.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Waiting for more dominoes to fall. Whatever Jeff's most want trades are, evidently there are still too many pieces on the board for the triggers to be pulled just yet. As I write this, a blockbuster could happen in an hour as well.

Rumors, feelings and speculation are the only news so far :(

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The baseball operations, at least in my experience dealing with high-levels of the organization, is Fort Knox when it comes to information. The vast majority of leaks, in my experience, are people on the sales side passing off either their own - or group-office - conjecture as "insider" information, or it being filtered through "someone in the organization," which then lends it more credibility than is warranted.

One of Luhnow's first moves when he was hired was to *literally* separate the functions by floors; the operations folks were (in my time there) on their own, dedicated, secure floor. I was never permitted access, in large part because none of the executives I was meeting with had access. And I'm talking about... VPs and directors of large functions. Nada. No access.

And this was *before* the hacking episode.

BMoney, Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

He definitely looks very laid-back (for lack of a better word) on the field.

#1137 Buck Turgidson, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Marteen likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Part of the issue is that not all the decision makers/those involved live in Houston and some of them will talk to long term friends.

19. Marteen

Marteen Member

We have a winner for the Patrick Corbin sweepstakes

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Have to think Dallas gets more right? This Corbin guy is average at best and getting paid!!!