1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Realmuto still possible ?

Goldschmidt is great, but Realmuto fills a bigger need. McCann is done and Maldonado sucks.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Marteen

Marteen Member

One name that popped up in my mind on my way home. Adrian Beltre. I don't know what his market is, but you can't put a price on his locker room presence. Universally loved and wants to join a contender. He would be like Beltran plus they could stick it to the Rangers.

jojobabbu and IowaAstro like this.
  4. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Beltre or Cruz for DH makes too much sense to not happen.

jojobabbu likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Beltre has said that is he plays in 2019 it will only be for the Rangers. We missed our shot to get him a few years ago. He also looks like he slowed down a bit.

Nelson Cruz is someone the Astros have wanted in the past. He is older and likely won’t require as long a commitment as the others on the market. He wasn’t quite as good as last year and at his age you risk him turning into a pumpkin over night like Beltran did.

The Astros had some really bad luck in the Red Sox series and the injuries to Altuve, Correa and Morton were significant. Overall the Astros don’t have a lot of weaknesses but they could really use another legitimate 3-5 hitter. It would make a massive difference to the overall offense.

With Dallas, Gattis, Sip, Harris, Smith, McCann and McHugh possibly all gone as free agents or traded.... there will be money for Morton (if healthy) and a short term bat like Cruz or Murphy. Astros also will need a catcher but have to decide to go the cheaper route (Maldonado) or reach for maybe a Ramos on a short deal.

I think we will see the offense addressed some like we saw the pen from last years club.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think at this point the Astros pay the prospect cost. That isn’t anything I have heard just my guess. I would actually prefer Goldschmidt because he fits perfectly in the middle of the line up sandwiched between Bergman and Correa.

Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    goldschmidt
    Correa
    White
    Gurriel
    Reddick
    Kemp

That line up is a whole level above what the Astros have ever had.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I hear you... but who's Catcher ?

We just lost a series behind PBs.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I like you general idea but I think the Astros offense would be greatly improved adding a middle of the order bat like Nelson Cruz. He will not likely cost too much and his deal will be short because of his age.

I don’t think trading for Goldschmidt or Realmuto is smart because of the prospect cost.

I wouldn’t offer Marwin anything close to 4/70. In this market I don’t think he approaches that length or total dollar amount. He is a great utility guy but I would rather spend that money on a bat that is better.

The Astros have young pitchers that deserve a rotation spot or option, so I have no issue letting Dallas walk. He will get a big contract from Boston or Chicago.

Morton would be a nice player to bring back if his injury issues can be resolved by Spring training.

I am fine with a #4-5 of the players in the system. The high end outcome is that one or more of the young guys emerges and is team controlled for half a decade.

kaleidosky likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

We will need a catcher... and I agree with you on the passed balls. I don’t know if it was a record for a series, but it has to be close if it wasn’t. The passed balls were not acceptable.

There will be catchers out there like Ramos, Grandal (expensive), Suzuki and also some guys available on the trade market. They all have drawbacks but most are fine at the bottom of a line up. Ramos has defensive issues but his bat is legitimately good.

Houstunna likes this.
  10. Malaya

Malaya Member

You have to factor in Springer, Correa and Bregman will need to be paid big bucks in a year or so. No way you can let Keuchel and Marwin hinder that when you can find comparable players who can be much cheaper.

Extend JV, yes, but only if he's willing to stay at 20M/year. He has been our workhorse and so generous in teaching the other pitchers. Keep Morton.

Get another veteran catcher while re-signing Maldy.

Improve our medical staff. I think it's obvious.

11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

For whatever reason I can't edit my post in the other thread so I'll post here.
    Would you try to buy low on Josh Donaldson for 1 year. Maybe he wants a 1 year, prove it deal. Then he could get a bigger offer the following year. Houston might give him the best chance to succeed and potentially win. He was bad against Houston in the playoffs though.

Is Wade Miley staying in Milwaukee? Was this season a fluke? Want him as a number 3?

12. conquistador#11

i just jizzed. Machete would be the only weakspot. Yuli still hits with risp

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

On opening day, if any of Reddick, Gurriel, White, or Tucker are hitting in the top 5 of the lineup, the offense isn’t good enough. Likewise, if McHugh or James are the #3 SP, the rotation isn’t up to par.

BMoney and Tomstro like this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Totally agree

Nook likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

To be clear, Maldonado sucked at catching the baseball in the postseason. That being said he was only charged with 2 passed balls in the 7 games he caught.

16. HTown2017Champs

I'd love Goldy, he's a great all-around player, and I also love hometowners. As for prospect costs, you do realize how stacked we are, and how it is in our interests to clear some space before the Rule 5 draft so we don't lose anybody for nothing. Trades are part of the game, you can't be a prospect hugger and some guys (Fisher, Armenteros, etc.) deserve a chance everyday, but it won't be here. Goldy gives our lineup that nice extra thump it lacks.
    Realmuto I don't think gets traded at this point, I hear Miami is looking to extend him, and if they do trade him they'll ask for the moon. I'd resign Maldonado for a year, and then groom Stubbs for a bigger role. I'm high on him, I've heard great things about him defensively, he also seems to have a good (contact-hitting) bat, and won the Johnny Bench Award in College. Hopefully he pans out well. Not a fan of Stubbs, hitting aside, the fact that our starters seemed to not like him, and that once McCann came back he was limited to catching relievers, is telling.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Charged with... yes, some were called wild pitches as well. Was disappointing that it was a problem but we have a great club and we move on.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah...the official scorer was very generous to him.

gatsby and No Worries like this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

#1 priority for the Astros is to make sure Kyle Tucker is ready to start opening day 2019. He killed it again in AAA, but his 100 at bats in the Majors were a disappointment. He needs to be ready to take his place in LF. #2 is to give Forrest Whitley every opportunity to make the opening day roster.

20. Malaya

Malaya Member

Stubbs or Stassi?