1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don't have an Athletic sub, but those teams don't make much sense. Cleveland is obviously trying to reduce payroll. Tampa has the lowest attendance in the league and perennially has payroll issues. Pittsburgh and Minnesota make a little more sense, but neither has ever been a high payroll team. Houston has the highest payroll in its history. I can see each of those teams having ~$20M left to spend on a 2nd tier free agent (Moustakas, Dozier, Lowrie, Marwin) but none of those guys are likely to be in play for $50M+ guys (Harper, Machado, Keuchel, Pollock, Grandal, Kimbrel).

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Here's the article:

Somewhat related and interesting snippet:

#2842 awc713, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Snake Diggit and No Worries like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That makes a little more sense. The Indians payroll last year was an outlier for them, so it makes more sense to look at their last few seasons, in which case Sarris is right that they probably have a handful of dollars to spend on a Markakis or Carlos Gonzalez to shore up their OF. I would not be shocked to see the Twins spend some, but splurging on Keuchel would be surprising, even if it might be the missing piece in a division race. A rotation of Berrios, Keuchel, Gibson, Odorizzi, and Pineda would be one of the deepest in the league, and their lineup doesn't really have many holes (their weakest hitters project to be Jason Castro and Byron Buxton). The Pirates are hard to read, I am not sure if they will add payroll, but it would be utterly shocking to see them as a mystery team for Machado. Marwin would make some sense for them, as would bullpen help.

I think the Astros have $15-20M in the tank, but it remains to be seen if they will find a good way to spend it or whether they can spend that and still have the resources they will need at at the deadline. Realmuto would eat up $8M. It would be a shock to see them in the mix for Harper, Pollock, or Keuchel, but you never know.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. Buck Turgidson

lineup doesn't really have many holes (their weakest hitters project to be Jason Castro and Byron Buxton)

Just think of what could have been, Astros fans...

MadMax, kaleidosky, JeeberD and 2 others like this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

JD Martinez owes his resurgence to watching Jason Castro

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I figure if nothing better materializes in the next 2 weeks, Luhnow will probably pull the trigger on a free agent SP. here’s what’s left:

1 ToR SP (Keuchel) who will likely get $70M+.

5 BoR SP (G Gonzalez, Garcia, Anderson, Buchholz, Miley) who have a good enough track record to warrant a 2 year deal, in the $10-20M total range.

17 guys who are BoR SP with enough warts that they are likely to sign a 1 year deal under $10M, and most of them will be NRI types just hoping for a legit chance to make the roster: Miller, Perez, Pomeranz, Holland, Santana, Fister, Liriano, Karns, Tomlin, Hammel, Hellickson, Colon, Gallardo, Estrada, Jackson, Shields, M Gonzalez

I have my eye on Karns and Estrada as two guys I think would be good adds if they take <$5M. Miley, Anderson, Garcia, Santana, Pomeranz, and Miller are also intriguing but I fear the market will overpay them.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I really hope something happens via trade. Karns may be the only upside guy of the bunch below Keuchel.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

PLEASE stay away from Gio Gonzales at the prices suggested. I do not even think Strom could work his magic on that guy.

10. SuraGotMadHops

Even if it's just for a few starts, I wouldn't mind seeing Big Sexy take the mound for us.

11. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have talked to guys like Pomeranz that have the potential to bounce back, but the Astros want them at several seasons at team friendly terms.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not surprising, and I think it’ll work out. One of those guys they like is bound to see the opportunity to work with Strom/Verlander and get a ring and be willing to give up some money. Astros are in a good spot since the other contenders don’t appear to need BoR starters. The choice for those guys is to go to a rebuilding team and lose or give up a few million and get a chance at a ring in Houston.

13. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

14. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I think we are trying to nab Ottavino. He won't come cheap though, we'd have to outbid several teams for his services.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My current top 30 most realistic starting pitcher trade targets:

Greinke
    Ray
    Stroman
    Michael Fulmer
    Minor
    Godley
    Bundy
    Cobb
    Jon Gray
    Leake
    Wei-Yin Chen
    Duffy
    Sonny Gray
    Daniel Norris
    Aaron Sanchez
    Dan Straily
    Smyly
    Jose Urena
    Brad Keller
    Matthew Boyd
    Wade LeBlanc
    Jordan Zimmerman
    Ian Kennedy
    Bumgarner
    Jakob Junis
    Marco Gonzalez
    Samardzija
    Felix Hernandez
    Andrew Cashner
    Taijuan Walker

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That list gets depressing after the first 3-4 names. Maybe there is someone down the list that can be reclaimed.

17. HTown2017Champs

I actually like the idea of Matt Boyd from DET. Maybe we can just give them Fisher and one blocked, mid-level pitcher for him. Four years of control, MoR starter, durable, lefty. I really like him. Early in the season he was even near the top of the K leaders IIRC. Decent upside, should be cheap. Worth taking a chance IMO. It's not like we're in dire need of a high end 1 or 2 starter.

Snake Diggit and Jeremy Williams like this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Boyd's splits are terrible. He's okay to great in that massive pitcher friendly park in Detroit, but is awful on the road.

Home
    12 starts, 4.52 ERA, 1.326 WHIP

Away
    13 starts, 6.11 ERA, 1.816 WHIP

Home
    14 starts, 2.63 ERA, .979 WHIP

Away
    17 starts, 5.89 ERA, 1.309 WHIP

LonghornFan likes this.
  19. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Yikes! That is discouraging.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

For the right price I could take myself into liking any name on that list. There are only 2 (Greinke and Ray) who project to be really good this season, but each of those guys has some combination of upside and track record that could give them a chance to fit into the back of Houston’s rotation, even if just to buy time for Whitley/Martin/etc to get ready.