1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Rondon, not Rendon...

2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He's a number 1 on many clubs...

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-zips-projections-houston-astros/

Zips thinks the stros will be good. Notes:

They only have Correa being worth 1.4 more wins than Toro.

They show both Toro and Straw as borderline everyday caliber players. None of the other prospects project to be worth much.

They expect Tucker to be as good a hitter as Brantley.

Zips thinks pretty highly of a lot of the young pitchers: Castellanos, Framber, McCurry, Taylor, Abreu, Ivey, Urquidy, Conine, Deetz, C Perez, and Scheetz all project to be roughly average big league pitchers. Toro plus a few of those pitchers might make for a good enough package to get a MoR SP.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. astros123

astros123 Member

lol, what have you seen from Whitley that tells you he can reach his potential this year? He pitched god awful in AAA last year apart from a few starts. His fastball had no break and his offspeed fooled nobody. I obviously hope I'm wrong and he can turn it around but with our window closing quickly we need another TOR. We need a 2/3 starter and don't fool yourself thinking otherwise. If it wasn't for Cole dominating the Rays we would have been out in the first round. Rays with Snell/Glasnow/Morton will be favorites over the Stros in a 5 game series. We need more depth in pitching. Don't forget that I'm sure the Stros will try to manage JV workload in the regular season so he wont be gassed out come playoff time.

No offense and I think you're one of the best posters in this subsection but who really cares about regular-season wins at the end of the day. Does anyone really remember the Mariners winning 116 wins or them choking in the playoffs more? We need another TOR. I dont want us to be compared to the 90's Braves 10 years from today. We need another ring with this core and we need more pitching for that to happen.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. AstrosRockets1818

He has Jack Mayfield with over 400 plate appearances and 18 home runs? Are Zips also drugs? I don’t get it? Or is this his value ?

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

How many teams 2nd best starter, right now, is better than Greinke in your opinion?

The list is very small

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Vivi likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Here are the teams with #2s who project for higher fWAR than Greinke:

Yankees (Paxton/Severino)
    Nats (Corbin/Strasburg)
    Mets (Thor/Stroman)
    Rays (Snell/Glasnow)
    Reds (Castillo/Gray)
    Dodgers (Buehler)
    Rangers (Lynn/Minor)
    Indians (Bieber/Clevinger)
    Red Sox (Rodriguez)
    Padres (Paddack/Lamet)
    Braves (Fried)
    Phillies (Wheeler)
    Rockies (Gray)

So 13 teams have a better #2, and 8 have a better #3.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Zips doesn’t allocate playing time, they assume each player plays a “full season”.

10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Hence the word “if”. Whitley has all the potential in the world and obviously the front office has thought highly enough of him to phrase him as “untouchable”. I try to be more of an optimist Instead of acting like the world is ending because we haven’t made any splashy moves this offseason and despite standing pat for the most part I still realize we have a damn good baseball team with a front office and ownership who has shown every single year we have been competitive, that they aren’t afraid of making a deal to improve the ball club.

everyday eddie and astros123 like this.
  11. The Beard

According to that one projection

Taking contract and years of control out of the picture, looking just at 2020, I would not trade Greinke for

Stroman, Minor, Rodriguez, Lamet, Fried or Wheeler...probably wouldn't trade him for Lynn or Gray either

Obviously when you factor in contract and control then that changes for a lot of them

12. The Beard

The other thing on Whitley is he had a really bad offseason leading up to last year, it's not all that surprising he was probably never completely focused and in a groove

Hopefully having a successful stint in the AFL and a much more quiet offseason this year, leads to him being back on track

I think many people forget that many "experts" had him as a guy who could be the best pitcher of the next decade as recently as a year ago

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

fWAR only projects on field value, it does not account for age or contract.

14. The Beard

Right, I get that

I'm just saying that while fWAR is good and all, it's far from perfect. Simply as a pitcher for 2020 I wouldn't take all of those guys I listed over Greinke. Some of them are young and cheaper and controlled so sure if offered them 1 for 1 for Greinke you would do it, but looking at what I would expect from them on the field in 2020, i'd take Greinke over them without batting an eye

I see about 6-7 teams who I would rather have their #2 starter than Greinke

15. awc713

awc713 Member

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Very excited to see the return. Looking at their roster I can only see Zunino or Morton making sense, unless Houstons sending more prospects for one of Tampa’s other pitchers.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

We’d have to give a ton more for CFM, no?

texans1095 likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

not necessarily. Morton signed a free agent contract so he is technically making market value. That said, based on his performance last season and his projections for 2020, yes he would be worth a LOT more than Stevenson.

19. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Austin Pruitt is who we got.

20. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

SPLASH

NIKEstrad and AstrosRockets1818 like this.