1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

$7M/2yr is a fine deal for Maldonado. I wish it were just as a backup, since I don’t relish having his bat in the lineup 100 games during the season, but the 26th roster spot should make it easier to PH.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Why would the Cubs want Betts? He will be a free agent too and ownership has said to cut payroll.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

Because they're in win-now mode and need help in the OF pretty badly. Betts would be a huge get. The difference in salaries (20m vs. 11m) isn't that drastic, and their 2020 payroll is 182m per StatTrac, 4th highest. Betts could easily outplay that salary, too. He's a top 3ish player in baseball. Plus, they'd get the comp pick a year sooner with Betts. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised. It certainly depends how bad the KB/CHC rift is, if any.

#1383 awc713, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I wouldn’t rule out another catcher signing/being acquired and using that 26th spot for three catchers.

5. prospecthugger

They're not in win now mode. They, Cleveland, Boston, and to a lesser extent Houston are in a "our win now mode raised our payroll to a level where the owner is starting to want a really good reason to be this high, but we have too many good pieces to rebuild, so we're trying to be economical while still fielding a competitive team" mode. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but that's how they are acting.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

One of these teams doesn’t belong with the others.

astros123, AznH-TownFan and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not trying to attack you. The Cubs are open to trading Bryant but they want younger talent not making much money and under long term control. The owner let the front office know the signings of Hayward, Darvish, Chatwood and Kimbrel won’t be repeated and the Cubs need to slash salary.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

I know. And no hard feelings. CHC is obviously not the likeliest, but who knows. Cubs do need to do something. I don’t see them just throwing in the towel because they have a few bloated contracts. Maybe SDP is the most likely...who knows what these owners/GMs really want. No one saw MadBum to ARI either.

I think CHC is in a “win-now” mode even though they’re not spending on the market. Vegas has their over/under at 88.5 wins, tied with STL for 4th most wins in the NL. Yes, they need to shed some salary over the next few years, but they’re going to be competitive in 2020 and 2021.

CLE is in a very different boat than BOS/CHC. But I see what you’re saying. I do think CHC is looking to win in 2020 and 2021 despite their owner clearly holding back some. Betts also fits in the sense that he’s not a long term commitment. I wasn’t calling my shot, just thought it was an interesting idea/match. Wrigleyville would fall in love with Mookie.

#1388 awc713, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've thought all offseason that one of the things we would be willing to sacrifice given our financial constraints was offense from the catcher. I think Luhnow is OK going into the season with Maldonado.

However I'm sure we want a better option at catcher heading into October, the current market simply isn't amenable for us given the budget. Luhnow is gonna keep his ear to the ground between now and the trade deadline to see if something shakes loose, or if a guy like Chirinos lowers his asking price. This doesn't stop us from exploring the market, it just protects us in case nothing better comes along heading into camp.

10. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Also, we kept him away from the Yankees to team up with Cole.

desihooper likes this.
  11. prospecthugger

I guess I don't understand how you're saying anything different than I am. I said they're trying to be economical while fielding a competitive team, you said they need to shed salary but will be competitive. So I guess we agree? To me, that's not win now mode.

12. prospecthugger

Which one?

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only until the Phillies are out of it near the trade deadline...

RustyHarden likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston may still explore trading for Contreras or Barnes, but now the pressure is off. Maldonado/Garneau isn’t ideal, but more than adequate considering the rest of the offense is so good.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tigers sign Jonathan Schoop & CJ Cron (both 1 year, $6.1M)

Vivi likes this.
  17. awc713

awc713 Member

I just don’t view Betts as prohibitive for CHC and think it would be a good fit depending on the dynamics of the trade (and other moves).

18. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I think this is a thing. But an overrated concept. They may have had good chemistry but good pitchers find a way to work with the catchers they've got. Glad he's returning even tho the bat is bleh

19. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Well, he'll have an awful defensive catcher in Sanchez likely.

IowaAstro likes this.
  20. Jeremy Williams

Interesting to see how the final guys pan out.

C Maldonado (lock)
    1B Gurriel (lock)
    2B Altuve (lock)
    3B Bregman (lock)
    SS Correa (lock)
    LF Brantley (lock)
    CF Springer (lock)
    RF Tucker (lock)
    DH Alvarez (lock)
    BN 1 Reddick (current lock)
    BN 2 Stubbs (current lock)
    BN 3 Diaz (lock)
    BN 4 Toro or Straw (leaning Straw)

IMO, we still push to move Reddick and we keep both Toro and Straw up, unless we need a 3rd catcher. If we managed to acquire a 3rd catcher, both Straw and Toro are held down unless Reddick is moved.

P Verlander (lock)
    P Greinke (lock)
    P McCullers (lock)
    P Urquidy (lock unless Spring Training derails him)
    P James? (Until we acquire another arm; either way he’s a lock for the roster)
    P Valdez (probable)
    P Devenski (probable)
    P Biagini (probable)
    P Osuna (lock)
    P Pressly (lock)
    P Smith (lock)
    P Peacock (lock)
    P Armenteros (possible)

Given our budget, one guy is likely coming and will keep Armenteros down.

I’d like to see us move Reddick, sign Chirinos, and trade for a back end starter/reliever.

#1400 Jeremy Williams, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019