1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. right1

right1 Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ml...rizona-fall-league-top-prospect-rankings.html
    5. Forrest Whitley, RHP, Peoria (Astros No. 1/MLB No. 16)
    No. 2 on this list a year ago
    , Whitley returned after a regular season in which he logged a 7.99 ERA and missed nearly two months with shoulder inflammation. He topped the AFL in strikeouts (32 in 25 innings) for the second straight year, demonstrating improved command and more consistent mechanics. The stuff is still there, too: a four-seam fastball that ranges from 93-98 mph, a cutter and a changeup that seem allergic to bats, and a curveball and a slider that can be plus pitches when they're on.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Wheeler would be my top target followed by Odorizzi. Gibson, Keuchel, Roark, and Pineda would be back up plans.

Pomeranz makes sense if we don't resign Harris. We will need a lefty in the pen.

I doubt the Astros risk the money on Betances. He had 3 separate injuries last year and will still command a decent salary because of his big strikeout numbers.

No idea what the Astros plan to do at catcher. I would think Chirinos and Avila are on the list but not sure who they favor and how much they want to spend.

punkoholic and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Here’s the list of seemingly available catchers and starting pitchers. I’ve asterisked trade targets, everyone else is a free agent. I’ve ordered them according to my preference:

Catcher:

Tier 1:
    Grandal

Tier 2:
    R Perez*
    Chirinos
    Castro
    Narvaez*
    D’Arnaud
    J McCann*
    Maldonado
    Avila
    Cervelli

Tier 3:
    C Vazquez*
    T Murphy*
    Zunino*
    Lucroy
    Vogt
    Astudillo*
    E Diaz*
    Wieters

Starting Pitcher:

Tier 1A:
    Cole

Tier 1B:
    Kluber*
    Ryu
    Wheeler
    J Gray*
    Odorizzi
    M Gonzalez*
    Price*
    Boyd*
    Bumgarner
    Ray*
    Marquez*
    Hamels
    Keuchel
    Carrasco*

Tier 2:
    Gibson
    Roark
    Archer*
    Hill
    Bailey
    Miley
    G Gonzalez
    Samardzija*
    Duffy*
    Pineda
    D Norris*
    Bundy*
    Lyles
    Wood

Tier 3:
    B Keller*
    Teheran*
    Zimmerman*
    Leake*
    Cashner
    Nova
    Anderson
    Wacha
    Eovaldi*
    Vargas
    M Perez
    Gausman*
    Harvey
    Chacin
    Hellickson
    Miller
    Moore

Shark44 likes this.
  4. Marteen

Marteen Member

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nats let Yan Gomes go. He had a bad year but was a star in 13-14 and was pretty good as recently as 2018. He can be added to the list of potential backups.

lw17 likes this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

Will be interesting to see what happens to Jose Abreu. No clear spot on this team, but Luhnow was (is?) a big fan of him.

It’ll be really interesting to see how we shape next year’s roster. We’re not going to blow anything up (read: can people stop suggesting we’re going after Rendon?), but there’s a lot of good supplemental players available on the market this offseason

I would love to see us extend Springer. Ideally around 3y, 55m, but I’d guess we give him the 4th year and hope that we get some sort of a hometown discount. He does love it here. If you don’t approve of a Springer extension, go be a Rangers fan. Dude is great and hopefully a Stro for life.

Will be fun to watch regardless. If you think this loss will deter Crane, you’re lost. We’re hungrier than ever. We’re still favorites going into next season. I’m excited to see what Luhnow and co. reel in.

edit: unrelated but check out how much younger everyone looks:

#206 awc713, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  7. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

We could pivot from Cole to Strasberg??
    2 years older. Imagine the AAV will be similar but less years... shrug

8. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Pothead, Springer, Cosart, Tuve, Maxwell, Correa, Lyles, Lucas Harrell? Pretty sure George & Carlos weren't called up yet

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I rather save a bit of money and go after Wheeler or 2nd tier pitcher. Strasberg will get about 28 mil per season.

lw17 and texans1095 like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do they never use the orange hat or the orange Bill hat anymore? Don’t know why I didn’t notice that.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m pretty sure they still go with the orange bill every now and then. Haven’t seen the full orange in a long time. They should pull that one out.

Smacktle likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do they? When?

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No idea. I could be remembering it from 5 years ago.

14. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

If Crane is willing to pay a little tax, the Astros are in a great position. A lot of good 2nd and 3rd tier starter, reliever, and catcher options.

texans1095 likes this.
  15. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Yep. There is plenty of quality depth in this FA class.

Kintzler, Vizcaino, Roark, d'Arnaud, Asdrubal Cabrera (if they feel a need for another utility infielder), Hudson, Pineda, Will Harris, Joe Smith, Betances, Will Smith, Keuchel, Odorizzi, Ryu, Bumgarner and Wheeler. The big names will get more attention (Strasburg, Rendon and Cole), but there is plenty of depth to this class.

Guys like Ryu, Bumgarner and Wheeler will definitely command more money than the others, but there's no reason to believe the Astros couldn't afford any of those players.

Hypothetically, if we were to go ahead and add Kintzler, d'Arnaud, Will Smith and Odorizzi that would be a really solid offseason IMO. Nothing splasy, but you'd be getting two really solid RP's, an above-league-average SP and a solid catcher as well.

I really would love for us to go after either Bumgarner or Wheeler, though. Wheeler is the one I would really really want if you can afford him.

16. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Why would you arbitrate with a guy like Sanchez only to rehab him? He isn’t all that special that you spend $$ and ride him out.

17. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Any lefty reliever we should be looking? Beside Framber.

18. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Do yall think Ryu, Bumgarner, Wheeler can be had for 3/60 4/80?? I'm expecting Bum & Ryu to re-up with home team.
    Considering a guy like Nathan Eovaldi got 4/68

Htown Legend likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

#219 J.R., Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I expect the 2nd tier guys (Ryu, Wheeler, Odorizzi, MadBum) to get at least $80M. Ryu and Wheeler are not like Keuchel (old with no stuff but good results), they are guys who can be expected to be as good or better than they have been.

RustyHarden likes this.