1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Between the Rockets and Astros, there have just been too many blockbuster deals that have reportedly fallen apart at the 11th hour. I'm yearning ******* it!

2. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Bregman better produce this season, like 20+HR, 75+ RBI, .285 BA

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And, if he doesn't?

4. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

It'll be disappointing because we could have gotten good starting pitching, which is a big need. I think he will be good though, so I don't want them to trade him

5. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, not interested in giving up Bregman for Quintana.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are smart not giving up Bregman. If the Astros front office/owner deserve any blame it isn't for not trading for an ace; it is for not signing one over the last 2-3 years.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I don't want to deal Bregman either, but if we were to, Sale/Quintana would bump our worst SP from the rotation, and gurriel would play 3B and we would need to find a solution at 1B. Isn't the difference between Sale/Quintana and our last SP significantly larger that Bregman and say a league average 1B (assuming Reed improves or we go get someone competent ).

8. raining threes

Cueto sure would look good on this team.

Guess Crane had to pay off the minority owners before he could start spending money.

So this is understandable.

9. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

That's not how I remember it.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/astros-stay-aggressive-trade-for-brewers-cf-gomez-7633452

One night after reportedly falling short in their efforts to trade for Phillies ace Cole Hamels, who chose to go to the Texas Rangers as opposed to waiving his no-trade clause to head to Houston, the Astros stayed aggressive, shoring up their lineup by acquiring Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez (along with pitcher Mike Fiers) for four prospects, including stud outfielder Brett Phillips.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/wh...amels-didnt-reject-a-trade-to-houston-8683647

Maybe if Hamels hadn't rejected a trade to the Astros last year — invoking the dreaded no-trade clause — then the Astros wouldn't have scrambled and traded for Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers. Instead the Astros would have acquired a bona fide rotation ace and missed out on the disaster that the Gomez trade became.

Houstunna likes this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

I wouldn't trade Bregman now. He's legit. We need to add a pitcher without subtracting from the starters.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Scherzer would have been nice.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't want to trade Bregman either. He's too young, too good, and too cheap.

As of now, a large victory is we've upgrading better than divisional counterparts. Sale to the NL wouldn't been better, but can't have everything, I guess.

Would really like another starter.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Chicago White Sox don't want to trade José Quintana either. He's too young, too good, and too cheap.

14. raining threes

Then it looks like there will be no deal.

Which I have no problem with.

Depending on how the season goes it looks like there will be a trade at the deadline.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe Sale takes it as severe disrespect, it tears him up mentally, and he never recovers.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Now I'm a little afraid Bregman may have some added pressure to perform because we could have gotten so much from him through trade. Don't look too much into how Breggy plays this year; keeping Breg was for the present and future, so he could be a part of a stacked lineup but more so because he could be a franchise cornerstone and be a productive Astro for years. Having a productive career with longevity may even be a conservative prediction for Bregman; he was considered the #1 in prospect in baseball last year, so there is definetely superstar potential.

I'm hopeful that down the road we will be very grateful we held onto Bregman when looking back.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Maybe if both teams/fans hate the deal that is a sign that the deal is fair.

raining threes likes this.
  18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I would only desire white Sox fans to be upset

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. HTM

HTM Member

That's fine. We can roll with what we have. If Keuchel can recapture his 2015 form and McCullers comes back from injury ok it could be enough. Add a generally solid McHugh and hopefully an improving Musgrove.... It just might do.