1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Caveat ... I read it on the Internets so it must be true ... Chapman has made comments that he does not know how much longer his arm can be put up with 100+ MPH fastballs. Chapman is not a medical doctor, so there is that.

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Healthy Keuchel & McCullers, McHugh and Musgrove. Devenski, Feliz, Martes & Fiers competing for the 5th starter/long relief spots.

I don't see urgency to spend money or deal for a starter at this time. Maybe at the deadline if it doesn't pan out but there's plenty of internal options that are capable of getting it done now or being the trade pieces to acquire it

Keuchel
    McCullers
    McHugh
    Musgrove
    Devenski/Feliz/Martes/Fiers

Giles
    Gregerson
    Harris
    Devenski/Feliz/Fiers
    Devenski/Feliz/Fiers
    LHRP
    LHRP FA/Sipp

Chew4219 likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

At the end of last year, the Astros did not have a #1 or #2. Luhnow has made comment that he is looking improve the starting pitching.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Has Rosario? He has a career .235/.260/.408 line away from Coors Field. That isn't an improvement over White.
    Maybin isn't much of an upgrade. Might as well be taking another chance on Rasmus.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is the theme of my Astros' offseason; I hope to god the team shares it: They have to aim higher than, "better than White/Reed. (Or Rasmus. Or Castro. Or...)" This isn't about bare minimum improvement; this is about cultivating actual improvement by targeting significantly better players. You don't make the leap by moving the needle in inches...

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Again, let's aim higher than "better than Marisnick." I couldn't care less if Maybin hits .260; he doesn't walk and get on base with any consistency. We have enough of those types of hitters.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'd be ok with giving Chapman $110M/5yrs if they thought he could be a starter, assuming Houston can carry at least $130M/yr in total payroll moving forward. Would certainly be a statement move.

raining threes likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

I don't understand the infatuation with turning Chapman into a starter. it isn't happening. You really don't think other teams have looked into it? It would've happened by now if it were a feasible option.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

so...lets trade for rajai davis?

anyone????

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Saw that.. but I would expect that, as a starter, he wouldn't be throwing 100+ MPH anythings. See the Smoltz quotes re: relieving vs starting, etc.

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Given how tough it is to survive the season injury-wise they will need more front line pitching than that. I also wonder if we can get any of our struggling minor starters to turn into the Andrew Miller role "Middle inning closer". Nothing ground breaking, but cannot expect bullpen to duplicate last year entirely and even they were inconsistent at times.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the Cubs can do it, so can the Astros!

DD

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Cubs actually spent money last offseason and have a payroll that is $70 million more than us.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

56 years for the Stros and counting are we now the longest without a championship?

DD

15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Indians are.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's also teams (well, really just one team) out there that have still never made a World Series.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's actually 2...Mariners, Nationals/Expos

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Rangers are one year older than us, and have also never won.

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Yep, but Indians are now the "cursed" MLB franchise with their history. Poor Nats though. Never made it past the first round (Expos did it once). And Mariners haven't been to the playoffs in like 15 years.

20. htownbball

htownbball Member

So pay Rasmus, who gets on base less than Maybin, double what Maybin would get? I'd rather spend the $30M on Cespedes.