1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Marlins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 14, 2023.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on AT&T Sports SW unless otherwise noted.

8-14 Framber Valdez (L) vs. Braxton Garrett (L). 5:40

8-15 Cristian Javier (R) vs. Johnny Cueto (R). 5:40

8-16 Justin Verlander (R). vs. Jesus Luzardo (L) 5:40

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Personal catcher series. Looks bleak

Stephen66 likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

IBTL likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That looks like 3 Maldonado games, all the more reason it was important for Maldonado to also start yesterday.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Diaz will DH tonight. Followed by 1B tomorrow due to Javier's flyball percentage. Then be hitting for Maldy in the 7th in game 3.

2/3 starts when he should just be starting over Maldy every game.

Gross.

Stephen66, Screaming Fist and Tomstro like this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We are missing Sandy Alcantara and Eury Perez -- I'll take that.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing Diaz catches Javier. This could be another Diaz, Chas, and Meyers game.
    With Framber on the mound, I expect Chas in CF tonight as he's the perceived worst defensive CF by Dusty with Yordan or Diaz in LF. This leaves Friday to be a Dubon in CF and Chas in LF game.

I hope Meyers starts 2 games this series with the large field, but I've become more jaded.

#7 Joe Joe, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Do Marlins games always start 30 minutes earlier than other east coast teams?

marks0223 likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Javier game is the most likely game for Singleton to start at 1B ( vs a RH) though he will most likely start all 3 or at least the QST 2 w/ getaway day a "Dusty special" lineup featuring Kessinger at 1B.

I think Dusty is absolutely opposed to playing Diaz at 1B.

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

All those Miami retirees need to go to bed early.

Tomstro and jim1961 like this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's funny( in a sad way) how we have to convert to Baker logic vs regular logic when predicting lineups.

Stephen66, houstonstime and Houstunna like this.
  12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have no idea what Dusty will do but here is what I would do and my thoughts.

game 1) Yordan- Chas- Tucker in OF, Diaz should DH because no way he catches Framber.

game 2) Chas-Meyers-Tucker in OF, Diaz should catch. Meyers is not good vs RHP, but he's better than catching Maldy and putting Yordan in LF for a 3rd consecutive day. Diaz simply must be in the lineup vs RHP.

Game 3) Chas-Meyers-Tucker in the OF and Yordan DH. Hopefully Diaz catching but I'm ok if its Maldy. Choose your battles.Hopefully that play last week showed Dusty that Dubon should not be in CF and Meyers (or Chas) is the best option to prevent runs.

This is one of the larger outfields in baseball.

The middle game is the game I worry about.

1) it's vs a RHP

2) Yordan played LF Sunday and will very likely play it again today with Framber on the mound. I hate the idea of Yordan playing LF (especially THIS LF) 3 days in a row. I think they DH him.

3) Meyers should start every game vs LHP but sit often vs RHP. This series plays backwards for that strategy.

4) if Dusty insists on Maldy catching Javier and not playing Yordan in LF a 3rd consecutive day then Diaz will be on the bench vs a RHP and that could cost the Astros a win.

Life would be much simpler if Framber started game 2 vs the RHSP. Then Yordan could DH game 1 and play LF fresh vs RHSP with Framber pitching. Meyers would start vs LHSP in game 1 instead if RHSP in game 2.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's crush the haters through Christ, today. W , W , W.

kaw1988 likes this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Diaz will start the game against the RHP

thats probably it.

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

Looking forward to another Maldy start. Can't wait for the results

Stephen66 likes this.
  16. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

Tomstro likes this.
  17. jayfree

jayfree Member

[​IMG]

kaw1988 likes this.
  18. Elienator

Elienator Member

As bad as Kessinger has been, his 2023 stats are better than Singleton or Maldy's. Abreu has a higher OPS than all of them. With Abreu on the IL, Diaz catching and Kessinger at first would be the best current lineup based on 2023 stats (obviously small sample size for Kessinger). Even with his 2 recent home runs and several walks, Singleton's 2023 stats are still worse than his career averages and his career averages are worse than Abreu's 2023 numbers.

Diaz needs to be catching and the Astros need another solution that isn't currently on the team at 1B. If Maldy is going to catch for whatever reason, Diaz should be at 1B.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But why include Singleton's stats from Milwaukee? You might as well count his AAA stats, or his 2015 stats for as relevant as they are.

Same small sample size as Kessinger (who I like, by the way) but OPS over 1.000 and 11% K rate.

I think Singleton has a chance to bring something this team is missing and he needs as much playing time as possible before Abreu returns to show whether or not he can be a difference maker vs RHP in the playoffs.

I like Kessinger but he does not bring anything different Dubon or anyone else on the bench brings. He isn't a potential difference maker.

Big Jon probably isn't either but it is smart to find out.

roxallways, jim1961 and Tomstro like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Milwaukie is an MLB team. He played against MLB pitchers while in Milwaukie this year. Those are legit stats.

I would not put too much faith either way for either Singleton or Kessinger at this point.

jayfree likes this.